Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Pros
  • Good work life balance and benefits (in 49 reviews)

• The opportunity to learn is there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (depending on staffing, 60 hours a week can be the norm) (in 20 reviews)

• Manual data entry can be tiresome (in 15 reviews)

"Great place to start"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great opportunity to learn about every single type of asset in great detail - unique in the finance world. Private Equity and Venture Capital exposure is top notch.

Cons

Poor linkage of financial incentives to performance. There's a heavy cultural bias towards short careers with Cambridge because the connections are so great. There appears to be an improvement in this, more emphasis on longer-term careers with younger directors.

Advice to Management

Retention bonuses.
    Improved 401k matching.
    Performance bonuses.
    As a finance company you can't expect brilliant financial minds to willingly get Spartan compensation and stick around. Everyone who works in finance wants to be rich.

2. "Excellent place to work."

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Nine out of ten people are great to work with.

They will pay for a lot of training.

Cons

Things change very quickly without much notice. However, being adaptable is an important job skill, so this is just a heads up.

3. "Great environment in a growing division"

Current Intern - IT Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - IT Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Cambridge has a very flat hierarchy and a very welcoming open door policy. As an intern, I was able to have conversations on a regular basis with people a lot higher up on the organizational chart. My input was heard and taken very seriously. The internship program is well organized and it gives you a very holistic view of the company.

Cons

While the IT department seems to be getting larger and more in sync with the business side of Cambridge, from what I've seen, it is not very easy to switch roles or positions within IT.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to put people with similar roles in closer proximity and have more interaction between positions within IT

5. "Solid first job"

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The investment performance analyst position was a really great first job out of college. The position allowed for a lot of growth, development of soft skills, and the ability to build out a resume quickly. You get a lot of broad exposure to the world of finance, and working for CA looks great to recruiters and to b-school admissions. Like everyone says, if you put a lot in, you'll get a lot out of it. Working in the reporting group has improved a lot since I started 4 years ago.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive and the job requires long hours at times. Be prepared to work late nights from time to time.

Advice to Management

PRG mgmt: Keep doing what you're doing

6. "Awesome firm, great job right out of college or 1-2 years experience..."

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and values. Great management. Great learning opportunities. Will offer tuition assistance to pursue certification or charters such as CFA, CAIA, GMAT, LSAT, etc. Incredible work/life balance. Management really cultivates entrepreneurial environment where you can come to them with ideas for projects, teams, improvements and they will partner with you and give you reigns to implement those changes if they agree on the value add. Great job for right out school. Very collegial environment and most colleagues are within 0-6 years out of college. Incredible access to subscriptions and proprietary research on capital markets and alternative assets/active long-only manager research. Relatively easy to move to other departments within firm if you see yourself in other career path. If you are MBA bound, this is definitely the place for you. MBA programs love this firm! We frequently send off employees to top 10 MBA programs. Loved working hear.

Cons

If you want to move to consultant level, you pretty much have to get MBA first. Unfortunate that you have to leave firm to advance, but goes to show how much they value advancing your acumen to better serve their incredible client base.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Continue to expand the professional development programs centering on knowledge development for various asset classes.

7. "Good Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Reception in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Reception in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper Management very easy to talk to, they treat everyone with the same respect.

Cons

I feel the pay could be more competitive

"Best Platform Opportunity for Private Equity focused Undergrads"

Current Employee - Investment Operations Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Operations Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about working for the PIDT at Cambridge Associates is the opportunity to gain exposure to the Private Equity Investment Industry at the age of 22. I have built out extensive knowledge in financial statement analysis, operational leadership, and project management throughout my time at Cambridge Associates (about 2 years). The experience is unparalleled in PI, and the work environment is incomparable. If you're looking to find a job which is both challenging, internally focused, and undefined(multiple routes), this is the company for you. If you're looking for a straight, structured line to the top with tenured promotions, this is not for you. What you put into this, you will get out.

Cons

Data System Technology, and dealing with a system overall.

"Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Much like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Advice to Management

Hire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

10. "Great firm"

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, well-respected firm and good work-life balance

Cons

Not the highest pay in the investment world, but that goes for all consultants

11. "Great opportunity for knowledge building"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A role in the Manager Information Group or Performance Reporting Group is a fantastic opportunity for individuals right out of college looking to break into developing asset class-based investing knowledge. The training program is not intimidating at all and allows individuals of all backgrounds to succeed, whether someone’s major was Finance, Accounting or French Literature; this also lends itself to those with more established careers that are looking for a switch into the investing world.

Cons

The role itself is a back-office support role; therefore someone is not going to be “making deals” or “making decisions.” However, the work an individual completes on a day-to-day, whether in Performance Reporting or the Manager Information Group, does help the front-office (consultants and research) to make the informed, thought-provoking decisions for Cambridge clients.

Advice to Management

Reduce the hierarchal structure and allow all members of the department shape the direction. For all of the emphasis management places on feedback and communication, it would best serve them to utilize the thoughts and suggestions provided to them rather than asking for feedback then doing something completely different.