Cambridge Associates, LLC 267 Reviews | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • you have to work long hours at times (in 19 reviews)

• Manual data entry can be tiresome (in 14 reviews)

"Not a Stable Company"

Pros

Both my managers were nice. They were both fired.

Cons

In the 2+ years I worked there, there were 3 massive groups of lay offs, including my own. They also literally removed our opportunity to advance.

"Investment Analyst"

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

great place to start a career, get a lot of hands on experience in concreting your hard-analytical skills (i.e. working in Excel, and database mining)

Cons

not much room for upward mobility unless you change departments. high volume of turnover creates some stressful time periods until new hires are brought on board.

Advice to Management

evaluate new ways that you can promote upward mobility within the company, leverage other departments to retain high level talent

3. "Hedge Fund Analyst"

Former Employee - Hedge Fund Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Hedge Fund Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cambridge Associates provided a collegial and collaborative work environment within the research group,

Cons

upward mobility and compensation is below industry averages for junior staff

5. "Investment Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Investment Operations Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Investment Operations Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

Low Stress, great opportunity to learn basic finance. Would recommend to recent grads or people looking for an entry level position.

Cons

Low Pay, inexperienced managers, too much management, too much data entry

Advice to Management

Too many levels of management

6. "Strong Collaberative Environment with Personalized Focus on Success"

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Cambridge Associates right out of college and have really grown as an employee and a leader during my time here. To start- the collaborative team environment is the perfect place to grow independently, but still feel the support of a team. Everyone in the office is genuinely interested in the success of others. Management has an open door policy, that unlike most financial firms is actually open door. They actively listen to employees concerns/interests and make changes on a real time basis. Cambridge also provides the ability to move into other roles within the firm. Lastly, there is a strong work life balance with the role and the collegiate environment makes it easy to create friendships in and out of the office.

Cons

This role is not typically a client facing position. While relationships are built with the Investment Directors and clients, it is hard to not be able to meet with them face to face.

7. "Cambridge Associates - Investment Operations Associate"

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, great learning opportunities

Cons

Manual data entry can be tiresome

8. "Intern hourly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours and fair balance of work life

Cons

Hard to get hired as a result

Advice to Management

Hire more interns as a result

9. "Average Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

Pros include the people you work with - they definitely consider personality while hiring and that works out to having colleagues who make easy friends. Company also makes an effort to keep people involved, sponsoring happy hours, scavenger hunts etc.

Cons

Cons include that there's very little personal development after the first year. You learn the systems and then you might have some challenging clients, but really you're done learning anything new. Efforts to up the learning happening in the company are quite sad - "colleague to colleague" learning only meaning that a coworker gets assigned to make a one-time presentation on whatever they feel like. Starting salary is competitive for the industry, but after first round of promotions salary increases come up short to industry expectations.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't have a great presence at least in Arlington. Way too many unprofessional rumors that go around surrounding how people are chosen to be the next manager.

"Decent, Depends on the Group"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent people who are incredibly smart
    -Strong, well known client base
    -Huge name to have on your resume if you plan to stay in the investments industry (especially institutional investments). Ever since I have had Cambridge on my resume, I have always received call backs from recruiters.

Cons

-Intense growing pains / identify crisis which creates large swings in strategy and culture.
    -It can be really hard to fit in if you aren't of a certain type or pedigree. For example, analysts are hired only from Ivy League / top schools (despite having zero investments knowledge), which creates a ridiculous "bro" and "polo club" type culture. This is also apparent among consultants who went to the same 5 business schools - there is almost no diversity of thought in the firm. Basically, if they taught it at Tuck, then that's what everyone does. This is not just limited to the main consulting organization, but each group has its own "type" it hires for. Marketing is full of people who comment on how you are dressed, what you are eating (especially if it isn't gluten free), and how thin people are.
    -Lower pay compared to industry norm.
    -Consultants treat the support groups (operations, marketing, performance) like garbage.

Advice to Management

Hire from all types of schools to balance out the culture and improve diversity of thought. Ditch the snobby culture.

"Solid company to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Working here is pretty much what you make of it. You could go on to complete your CFA, go on to work at a Hedge Fund or get into a top MBA program, OR you could trudge into work everyday, do what you're told and clock out promptly at 4:59 pm.

There's a ton of opportunity if you know where to look (volunteer for projects that come up!). I thought the company treated its employees fairly, and I liked the people I worked with. Towards the end, I was going out to the bar for a drink with my colleagues on Thursday nights, and I genuinely enjoyed their friendships. I know of more senior people who worked at big banks only to return to CA for the collegiate, intellectual atmosphere.

My boss offered me opportunities to learn and was accommodating to a schedule in which I arrived at work slightly earlier and left slightly earlier. This allowed me to go kayaking almost every night during the summer, which was huge for work/life balance. Also, when I left for a new opportunity, the new company told me that they highly valued seeing Cambridge Associates on my resume.

Additionally, when I was there , Sandra Urie was the CEO, and I can't say enough good things about her. I've never met such a kind, intelligent person. She was soft-spoken when I met her, but surprisingly patient and a great listener (qualities I've found are rare in my interactions with other executives).

Cons

The work can be tedious and uninspiring--especially if all you do is reporting or data entry. If you're in that role, you should meet your deliverables and search for side projects.

The pay was not competitive--particularly for the industry. However, at a younger age, you may be better off accepting lower pay for a solid footing into the industry. Despite being offered opportunities to learn, I left for higher pay, and I regret that decision. CA is old-fashioned, measured, intellectual and built on trusted client relationships. They are the steady hand on the investment tiller. If you suffer from this illusion that finance should be exciting, insanely remunerative and fast-paced, CA is probably not the place for you.