Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work life balance and benefits (in 49 reviews)

• The opportunity to learn is there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (depending on staffing, 60 hours a week can be the norm) (in 20 reviews)

• Manual data entry can be tiresome (in 15 reviews)

1. "Review"

Pros

great workplace, great staffing, no complaints

Cons

location not ideal for commuting from far away

2. "Senior Investment Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Investment Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Investment Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning opportunity to learn about investments and portfolio construction

Cons

Grossly underpaid relative to the industry and the hours of work completed

3. "Great place"

Pros

have unbridled access to top of the line allocators and managers. Great place to nlearn, network, and position. Held in high regard by business schools if applying to MBA.

Cons

comp is more modest with limited upside as a long term career. Also, can be tricky to navigate proprietary IT solutions in house.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within as that is the way to maintain your investment in junior level employees

4. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cambridge is a great place to learn and grow your career. It is a very collegiate environment, and the work/life balance is very good for the finance industry.

Cons

There have been several leadership changes/reorgs, but the most current reorg was well thought out and seems like it will lead to a very promising future. Also, the pay and benefits are good, but not as competitive as other firms.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on keeping the culture of the firm true to how it has been in the past. Invest in your employees more, and encourage learning and growth more.

5. "New"

Pros

Friendly work environment, good pay, great benefits package. Interview style was conversational; they are really looking for people to invest their time in.

Cons

Long interview process, competitive, not for people who don't have a "five year plan". You should have some financial or policy background if you wish to apply.

"Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great firm, very collegiate atmosphere. Management is top notch. Female CEO

Cons

Would improve technology.

"Solid company to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Working here is pretty much what you make of it. You could go on to complete your CFA, go on to work at a Hedge Fund or get into a top MBA program, OR you could trudge into work everyday, do what you're told and clock out promptly at 4:59 pm.

There's a ton of opportunity if you know where to look (volunteer for projects that come up!). I thought the company treated its employees fairly, and I liked the people I worked with. Towards the end, I was going out to the bar for a drink with my colleagues on Thursday nights, and I genuinely enjoyed their friendships. I know of more senior people who worked at big banks only to return to CA for the collegiate, intellectual atmosphere.

My boss offered me opportunities to learn and was accommodating to a schedule in which I arrived at work slightly earlier and left slightly earlier. This allowed me to go kayaking almost every night during the summer, which was huge for work/life balance. Also, when I left for a new opportunity, the new company told me that they highly valued seeing Cambridge Associates on my resume.

Additionally, when I was there , Sandra Urie was the CEO, and I can't say enough good things about her. I've never met such a kind, intelligent person. She was soft-spoken when I met her, but surprisingly patient and a great listener (qualities I've found are rare in my interactions with other executives).

Cons

The work can be tedious and uninspiring--especially if all you do is reporting or data entry. If you're in that role, you should meet your deliverables and search for side projects.

The pay was not competitive--particularly for the industry. However, at a younger age, you may be better off accepting lower pay for a solid footing into the industry. Despite being offered opportunities to learn, I left for higher pay, and I regret that decision. CA is old-fashioned, measured, intellectual and built on trusted client relationships. They are the steady hand on the investment tiller. If you suffer from this illusion that finance should be exciting, insanely remunerative and fast-paced, CA is probably not the place for you.

"Great Place to start a career"

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

There is a ton to learn in your first few years at Cambridge within the Performance Reporting Group, especially if you get the chance to have exposure to the Alternatives side i.e. Private Equity/ Venture Capital

Cons

There is a pretty serious issue with turnover within the department which means that your workload is very volatile, depending on if they just hired a new class, or if they lost a bunch of tenured employees (usually about a 2-3 year position).

9. "Strong Collaberative Environment with Personalized Focus on Success"

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Cambridge Associates right out of college and have really grown as an employee and a leader during my time here. To start- the collaborative team environment is the perfect place to grow independently, but still feel the support of a team. Everyone in the office is genuinely interested in the success of others. Management has an open door policy, that unlike most financial firms is actually open door. They actively listen to employees concerns/interests and make changes on a real time basis. Cambridge also provides the ability to move into other roles within the firm. Lastly, there is a strong work life balance with the role and the collegiate environment makes it easy to create friendships in and out of the office.

Cons

This role is not typically a client facing position. While relationships are built with the Investment Directors and clients, it is hard to not be able to meet with them face to face.

"Investment Analyst"

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

great place to start a career, get a lot of hands on experience in concreting your hard-analytical skills (i.e. working in Excel, and database mining)

Cons

not much room for upward mobility unless you change departments. high volume of turnover creates some stressful time periods until new hires are brought on board.

Advice to Management

evaluate new ways that you can promote upward mobility within the company, leverage other departments to retain high level talent