Cambridge University Press Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cambridge University Press Chief Executive Peter Phillips
Peter Phillips

Pros
  • Fantastic benefits and a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• flexible working hours, lots of training opportunities, good canteen (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management are not engaged with the guys on the ground (in 15 reviews)

• Every decision by upper management seems designed to decrease productivity (in 12 reviews)

"Technical Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's non profit, fun place to work, Brititch company culture,

Cons

Low salary, bad management

Advice to Management

IT manager does not have enough knowledge in IT, not experienced in management as well

"Late Follower"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people were full of great ideas, but senior (UK) management never listened.

Cons

Heavy politics when dealing with UK office.

Advice to Management

Stop developing for yesterday's market.

"Management Is Delusional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Cambridge University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing but praise for my colleagues. We all work very hard to ensure client satisfaction.

Cons

It's no secret that my department is understaffed and overworked. Recently, management requested and received documented proof that that we need to add to my department. Instead of relieving our workload or adding new staff, management decided to assign us additional work. This work takes precedence over everything else that we have and must be done.

Advice to Management

Take the time to understand your employees workload and daily responsibilities. If you understand that, then you can assign work as needed. It is unfair to prioritize additional work without proper training and expect it to be done correctly and on time, along with everything else we do.

"Learning Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cambridge University Press (Less than a year)

Pros

1. You will learn enormously as a sales rep
    2. If you have passion in education, this is a very good position to visit schools, universities and language institutions and mingle with lots of professionals.
    3. Good benefits such as annual leave and sick leave.

Cons

1. You're required to do everything and pick up everything on your own.
    2. Digital products evolve rapidly and there's not enough time and training to get familar with.
    3. Some office politics and it takes longer to get things done.
    4. Compensation is just barely okay.

"Hard place to be right now"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I joined the Press, I was struck by how kind everyone was, and how much passion there was for the work of the Press. This is true across each publishing division. The work/life balance, outside of upper management, is some of the best you will find in New York. There also is a great desire among colleagues to be forward-thinking and to embrace the move to digital, particularly in ELT and Education. Of course, this desire does not always translate into meaningful institutional change.

Cons

The Press has been really plagued by operational disasters for the last two years, and have had a difficult time reconfiguring their profitability expectations in the face of these operational issues and the changing shape of the academic publishing business. I don't know how what the future holds for Cambridge--I think that 20 years from now it will continue to exist in some altered shape--but I think it's an intensely unpleasant time to work at the company, while they struggle to figure out how to exist in the 21st century.
    There need to be leadership shakeups before they figure this issue out. In the time I worked at Cambridge, we went through massive layoffs and reorganization in ELT (twice), but none of the faces on the ELT board changed. They hired old-school Cambridge editors to lead their spiffy new product management group, while cleaning house in the lower ranks. If they don't change the leadership, the fundamental direction of the Press won't change either.

Advice to Management

Allow some new leaders to come in to help re-envision the business from the top down. Stop focusing on operational changes to the exclusion of supporting the publishing pipeline and the sales organization.

"My Time at Cambridge"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Manager, Good people. Easy to work for. Cambridge provides proper training to new employees. Allows it's employees to grow.

Cons

Salaries are OK but not the best .

Advice to Management

You have some very good managers at Cambridge - reward them and keep them - they are your best asset.

"good press, incompetent management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cambridge University Press full-time

Pros

My colleagues at Cambridge are some of the most intelligent and interesting people anywhere.

Cons

Every decision by upper management seems designed to decrease productivity. They couldn't do a better job of this if they were trying to. I don't believe that's the aim; it's just incompetence.

Advice to Management

Try a little fact-gathering and advance planning before making decisions.

"A company in decline"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Press still has yet to drive away all of its talented editorial staff and author base. It is still publishing some excellent work.

Cons

I worked at CUP for nearly two years and found it a difficult place to be a junior member of the staff. Old-fashioned and hierarchical, the company culture does little to develop young talent and offers no path to commissioning for editorial assistants. Over my time at Cambridge, waves of expensive and ineffective restructuring made our jobs increasingly more difficult and less secure. While the UK led these feckless efforts, the New York management did little to stand up for personnel in the US office. This was disappointing, to say the least. At this point, I do feel that the reputation of the press has been damaged- and rightly so. Senior management has shown not only incompetence- which I could forgive- but also a blatant disregard for its staff that is truly shameful.

Advice to Management

Bring in new management in both the US and UK offices. Stop restructuring, focus on core values, and invest in personnel. Move towards a company culture that develops talent and promotes from within.

"An unstable, demoralizing, infuriating, soul-sucking place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues in the New York office were funny, smart, talented, and a pleasure to work with. I expect that I will remain friends with them for many years.

Cons

If you like being laid off (and having your name on a list of people being laid off posted publicly for all to see), having to reapply and reinterview for your job, being rehired (if you're lucky), then a few months later having your job title eliminated and having to reapply for new positions, and then being demoted (while management insists it is not a demotion), this is the place for you.

If you'd be overjoyed when HR cuts paid time off and states that this "demonstrates their commitment to US employees," this is the place for you. (After a deluge of complaints, they eventually reversed their decision and reinstated the normal paid time off.)

If you thrive when working with systems that constantly crash and love submitting multiple IT tickets per day (and then having IT close those tickets without fixing them), this is the place for you.

If you want to work for a company that does not value you, exploits you at every turn, solicits your opinion and then completely ignores it, is so poorly managed it's laughable, lays off your colleagues and then gives you their work with no extra compensation and barely a "thank you," this is the place for you.

Management seems to think that all of these negative reviews are just being posted by random disgruntled employees or ex-employees. I spoke to many of my former coworkers before leaving and the vast majority of them agree with the sentiments expressed here. In fact, when I sent an email saying I was leaving, two separate colleagues replied saying that they were glad I was "escaping." Cambridge has a major morale problem and management is in complete denial about it. This is an unstable, demoralizing, infuriating, soul-sucking place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and hire people who actually went to business school. Start running your company like it's an actual business. Publishing is not in a great place right now but Cambridge could be MUCH better off if it was run with any semblance of sense.

"Uncertain"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cambridge University Press full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Internationally recognized company with a good track record of innovating products and high quality standards. Good to have in your resume. Nice colleagues. Friendly work atmosphere.

Cons

The company has had a too many shifts in its global strategy throughout the last years and the recurring overall theme has been downsizing, at least in NY. Wages are dismal compared to the rest of the industry.

Advice to Management

There are too many layers of managerial posts, insufficient professional development of staff, not enough internal promotion, and low salaries.