KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Cambridge University Press & Assessment Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2021

Found 538 of over 631 reviews

3.8
Cambridge University Press & Assessment CEO Peter Phillips (no image)
Peter Phillips
Pros
  • "The pay is ok, flexible working and general benefits are good(in 17 reviews)

• "Caring employer, wide range of jobs, great working environment, nice people(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Inflated senior management tier, little autonomy for regional offices(in 12 reviews)

• "i was offered no performance objectives and no career progression(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

8m

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,827

951 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cambridge University Press & Assessment and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great Company A lot of flexibility

Jun 13, 2019 - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company A lot of flexibility

Cons

Laid off and this happened twice at that company

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Wonderful culture, 18th Century innovation

Jul 12, 2021 - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smartest and kindest group of people I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with. European workplace culture. Global vision

Cons

Technological innovation lost somewhere in the past. Takes years to accomplish what a teenager with a phone can complete in hours. Board level homogeneous Brits.

3. 2.0

Recent Redundancies Will Continue

Dec 12, 2020 - Editorial
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of working here is the colleagues you’ll meet many will become lifelong friends.

Cons

The Press has instituted a series of cost cutting measures by consolidating divisions and moving positions offshore to India and the Philippines. Positions are being eliminated with no thought about how these draconian cuts will impact the day to day workload of those that have retained their jobs. Some of my colleagues with 30+ years tenure at the Press have seen their positions eliminated. Due to these cuts internal morale is at an all time low.

4. 3.0

New Strategy Means Big Changes

Sep 17, 2020 - Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Colleagues and overall a good working environment. Most often quality is very important.

Cons

The Press Board has decided to shift strategy and they have been upfront that this will entail cost saving and efficiency efforts (layoffs). Every 5 years a new plan is implemented, many of us went through this 5 years ago.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Rewarding mission, hard working staff

Feb 5, 2020 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible working arragements, committed staff

Cons

too many to write, too many internal faults

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

Great Colleagues, But Upper Management Gets In The Way

May 1, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked with a company where the on the ground staff is so dedicated and so willing to do what needs to be done to ensure that the authors and customers are satisfied. In terms of benefits and salary, CUP cannot do wrong. The location of the NYC office is centrally located and has easy access to multiple train and bus lines. There is also the option of working from home or adjusting hours if need be, which is always helpful in my opinion.

Cons

Upper Management gets in the way of employees doing their jobs. They are either too involved or forget that the employees are the reason that the company has the reputation that it does.

1 person found this review helpful

Cambridge University Press & Assessment Response

Head of Communications

Great to know you enjoyed your time with us, that you appreciated the pay and benefits, and that you found yourself working with such a dedicated team of colleagues. We can certainly agree with your assessment! We do have a have a well-established senior leadership development programme and have recently put a huge amount of time and effort into training our managers and leaders. That said, we would always encourage colleagues to approach their manager or HR representative with any suggestions or concerns.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

I miss the good ol' days

Jul 9, 2019 - Technology in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great park across the street to enjoy lunch. Pretty easy to get by with doing too much.

Cons

Low pay and very secretive upper management. Bureaucratic and could be very boring at times.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great part time job

Apr 24, 2019 - Invigilator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, fair salary, good work environment

Cons

Some long shifts that cannot be broken down

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Hard place to be right now

Jul 15, 2016 -  in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I joined the Press, I was struck by how kind everyone was, and how much passion there was for the work of the Press. This is true across each publishing division. The work/life balance, outside of upper management, is some of the best you will find in New York. There also is a great desire among colleagues to be forward-thinking and to embrace the move to digital, particularly in ELT and Education. Of course, this desire does not always translate into meaningful institutional change.

Cons

The Press has been really plagued by operational disasters for the last two years, and have had a difficult time reconfiguring their profitability expectations in the face of these operational issues and the changing shape of the academic publishing business. I don't know how what the future holds for Cambridge--I think that 20 years from now it will continue to exist in some altered shape--but I think it's an intensely unpleasant time to work at the company, while they struggle to figure out how to exist in the 21st century. There need to be leadership shakeups before they figure this issue out. In the time I worked at Cambridge, we went through massive layoffs and reorganization in ELT (twice), but none of the faces on the ELT board changed. They hired old-school Cambridge editors to lead their spiffy new product management group, while cleaning house in the lower ranks. If they don't change the leadership, the fundamental direction of the Press won't change either.

13 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great People; But Much To Be Desired

Mar 5, 2019 - Production Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues were among the best I've worked with, loved working on the lists that I was responsible for.

Cons

Low pay, Cambridge is about 5 years behind the rest of the industry, so major changes are most likely coming down the pipeline.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 538 Reviews