Cambro Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2016

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Strong, growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Cambro Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has been in business since 1951, and the owner is the son of the original owner, so there is a lot of stability and low turnover, and growth. A new factory was built in North Carolina last year, but there were no layoffs in CA. Benefits are pretty good, with tuition assistance and 401k, etc. Employees are usually pretty friendly, and most supervisors listen to you and try to have good teamwork. Schedules are pretty reliable, too, so you can plan your weekend.

Cons

Lots of employees have been there forever, which means a lot are stuck in old ways of doing things. Some departments are great to work in, but some are not at all, so it depends on the supervisor. It seems like higher level managers don't know what's going on with the lower level supervisors and employees as people, they just look at numbers.

Advice to Management

Supervisors need to be less emotional and better leaders, and they need more training on that. Changes need to be communicated better, even positive changes make a lot of adjustments in the different departments.

2. "Don't work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Cambro Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

depending on your department you may meet some very nice people

Cons

those nice people may talk behind your back, or throw you under the bus if it will make them look better to the executive staff
    Offices are in the same building as the manufacturing plant , burning plastic and lack of safety precautions for air quality

3. "Purchasing Supervisor"

Current Employee - Purchasing Supervisor in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Supervisor in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Cambro Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is privately owned and the owner is a kind an benevolent person

Cons

The company is privately owned and technologies are dated, attitudes and the ability to make a meaningful impact is negligible.

Advice to Management

They would not take it even if it was offered, so I won't waste my breath

5. "Cambro Manufacturing, Inc"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Cambro Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and inside company perks

Cons

Poor upper management-an area they are working to improve

Advice to Management

open

"Great place to work. when work flow is up?"

Current Employee - Packer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Packer in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Cambro Manufacturing (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to Work I enjoy going to work

Cons

Not consistent Work poor forecasting

Advice to Management

Forecast Work Load better to keep employees working

7. "A large, growing, family-owned business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Cambro Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth: the current president/owner is the son of one of the two founding brothers, and he has continued to grow the company in US and global markets. As new factories are added, jobs are not lost in existing locations. Quality, innovation and new product development are part of the culture. Longevity: lots of employees have been there 20 years or more. Benefits: medical and dental better than average; lower premiums than most. Good focus on professional development, tuition reimbursement, seminars, certifications, etc. New employees seem to be welcomed pretty well.

Cons

There are growing pains, and some of the systems and processes need to be updated and integrated better. Probably because of longevity, there is some resistance to change, and an undercurrent of gossip and in-crowd feeling among longer term employees and executives. Benefits: vacation time takes longer to earn, and is re-set yearly (cannot be accumulated past employee's anniversary date). No vision plan.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on developing employees, and especially managers. Focus on culture and change management as the company grows; reinforce the positive and reduce the negative aspects of culture and management. Look at the most effective managers, and reinforce their efforts. Address issues with ineffective managers. Look at new and/or upgraded systems and processes with more efficient software. Look at benefits to make sure they're competitive with other companies.

"Cambro"

Former Employee - Operations in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Cambro Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned valuable business practices and processes as a liaison Globally. I also met my Mentor, a former Director whom I still meet with.

Cons

It was difficult to promote change and innovation within Cambro's senior management.

Advice to Management

A good manager is the one who has clear and assertive communication. He or she should be able to create a good integrity chain that links the employees and the firm. In addition, the manager must possess strong motivational skills to the people around and good decision making skills

9. "By far, the worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Mid Level Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Mid Level Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

There are a few good people working there. This made going to work a pleasure.

Cons

The current upper management team is ineffective in managing and wears blinders to integrity and honesty.

Advice to Management

Lose the current executive management team, have the owner stop thinking of the almighty dollar and more on the employees. The ones who really do the work.

10. "A great place to learn"

Pros

Clear with the goals that are to be achieved, friendly environment. Superiors are highly influencing and helpful in guiding.

Cons

There is nothing I could come up with so far.

11. "Intern"

Pros

Cambro has a great environment and how can you not love southern California? They have a great product and great culture. The thing I enjoyed most was the ethical standards. Even as an intern I was held to every ethical standard just as much as the CEO. Your not treated like a number.

Cons

If the food-service industry doesn't excite you than this just isn't the job for you. It's an industry that once you get into to it you don't really get out so having a passion for the industry is key. I realized I didn't LOVE this industry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I think the management has a very friendly open door policy that contributes to the positive culture. I would engage interns a lot more. I learned a lot with my experience but feel like I could have learned even more if I just had more opportunities.