Camden Property Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Camden Property Trust Chairman and CEO Richard J. Campo
Richard J. Campo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits (medical/dental/vision, apartment discount) (in 22 reviews)

• Great team-oriented environment, good benefits (in 16 reviews)

1. "resident services"

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

employee guest suite, friendly staff

Cons

high employee turnover, difficult work life balance since corporate changes 01/2017

May 15, 2017 – Employer Relations Associate

We understand work life balance can be difficult and appreciate those team members who truly make a difference by being flexible in order to accommodate our customers needs. We know that in order to... More

"Not what it used to be, 0/10 would not reccomend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and bonus structure is good if you know how to work the angles, especially if you are dishonest and manipulate your numbers, as is strongly rewarded and encouraged by higher ups.

Cons

Vindictive, untrustworthy managers, regional managers, and a terrible management style. This once was a great company to work for, but the culture has declined sharply over the past few years. This is ultimately driven by the founders, but I think it is amplified in the Phoenix market by the regional management duo they have in place. Favoritism, back stabbing, gossip, and even some borderline business ethics issues run rampant. This is shown when veterans and new comers alike are fleeing en masse.

Advice to Management

At some point, someone from the top tier, all the way down through divisional and regional VP levels should be honest with themselves, and take a hard look into what is happening. Why is everyone leaving? And I don't think the answer is to have your marketing team sign up here and leave a bunch of AstroTurf positive reviews (like they do on apartment rating websites) within a few days time. Also pulling everyone into a meeting to tell them to go online and rave about what a good job you are doing, that doesn't quite fix anything either.

Apr 19, 2017 – Regional Vice President

We appreciate your candid feedback and are sorry you did not have a great experience. I take your feedback quite seriously and assure you we care deeply about our team members and certainly strive to... More

3. "Great Company - Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great through United Healthcare and very affordable. The is a ton of training classes as well as online classes. Great for development on your career and personal life.

Cons

Growth is always there however you must be he popular person or a true brown noser to achieve. Management lacks the ability to lead. When you speak to the two upper management members they are too busy giving excuses and not seeking solutions.

Advice to Management

Higher upper management needs to step in and really look at Phoenix. Employees are quitting not because they found a better job but because the thought of going into work every day knowing your career is going nowhere because you don't brown nose is horrible. I personally have gone to management and you are immediately labeled as impatient and having attitude. Well clearly this is not the case as turnover is already high for 2017 and it's only February. The group meeting is only good if you actually start making changes and start with your management team. It's sad that you have three properties who can't hold employees and yet nobody bats an eye.

Apr 19, 2017 – Regional Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and leave us with a review, I appreciate your perspective and value the feedback. I see that you are no longer a Camden team member, but we would... More

"Upper Management has Poor Communication"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday bonuses. Lots of holidays off. Good culture. Amazing training which is great for when it's time to leave you have a better edge over the competition.

Cons

Upper management has poor communication. The current upper management duo make working for camden a bad experience. Camden boasts on internal promotions but when you apply they don't call you they don't reach out to you and completely ignore you. No development plan is set up and this causes employees to feel under appreciated and is the reason for high turn over. The pay is lower than surrounding companies in the area. The incentives are lower as well which is strange considering the high rents that camden charges.

Advice to Management

Upper management duo need to reach out to internal candidates. Be open and honest on the development and not ignore them. High turnover is a direct reflection of your poor leadership. Make the change. Camden trains well and it's the reason why many employees find it very easy to leave since other companies love the culture and training camden employees receive.

"Make Ready"

Former Employee - Maintenance/Make Ready Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Maintenance/Make Ready Technician in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits are good but you gotta wait 6 months to get them ALL such as pto and such - the training program is really good as they go outside of the normal range of type of classes to take

Cons

my time at camden went from a relieving story to a nightmore the moment management changed up .. I get the idea that things need to be done in a timely manner however, I also understand that it is also important to work as a TEAM!!! ... when I first got there, there was no problems everything worked out just fine, manager wasn't calling you every 15 minutes asking you "are you done, are you done yet? are you done yet!?" while saying a unit should only take 2 hours to do when walls are coming apart, none of the doors are shutting and utilities is in really bad shape, meaning these things were not even searched out before this ridiculous rushing time limit was placed on the head of ONE person when it supposed to be a team effort. Supervisor barely listened to anything that I had to say or what anyone else had to say. The place was run like a prison, extreme micro management to. Absolutely no remore for the only 2 other techs while the supervisor spent majority of his time in the shop the other 2 would be doing all the work. If I was working on something important he couldn't even take 2 minutes to throw away something at the compactor but instead I get called from clear across the property to come and take care of it ... who decided to hire this guy!?! Anyways from the time that the new supervisor came in till the end it was a complete nightmare ... you talk about being black balled?! that was IT! .. It seems all they like to do is FIRE people without working together to see where the mistake came in .. everyday felt like a hostile environment ... but what was really going on was that I was ultimately slowly being pushed out of the loop .. all properties at camden are not like this though .. i just so happened to end up at the wrong property ..

Advice to Management

HIRE SOMEONE THAT KNOWS HOW TO AT LEAST! START THE POOL VACUUM! .......

"Don't expect to be accepted unless you drink the Kool Aid"

Pros

There is a handful of truly talented and spectacular people working there.
    The guest suite makes traveling less expensive.

Cons

A previous review pretty much nailed it. This is a very cookie cutter environment. If you don't conform to the rest of the herd, you get pretty uncomfortable very quickly. People tend to be very cliquish and gossipy, and I saw so much conflict between Camden Values and the reality of how things worked, that I dreaded going in.
    Benefits are mediocre. Nothing to write home about, state of Texas offered better benefits as well as more time off. Perks are only good if you are able to use them-sometimes it is so hard to book a suite, there's just no sense in trying. The apartment discount was nice, but in order to live in a spot with decent schools you have to sacrifice your commute. Vacation and sick time are a joke and trying to find a healthy work/life balance is close to impossible. I love Ric, Keith, and Malcolm- I think they are fantastic people, but I also think that that they are going to have a hard time retaining talent if the perks and benefits aren't able to compete with the ever growing number of companies that are looking at how to do things outside the box.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more consistency in how the work groups are managed. It is far too arbitrary and extremely unfair for one group to be able to do certain things while other groups can not. I noticed that some groups were very flexible, while others had little to none. Upper management needs to consider more/better training on how to manage employees, and how to communicate more effectively with them. Find activities that appeal to other types of people/groups-not just the people who are so entrenched in Camden Culture that they don't know any different. I love the concept of the Culture and Values-that's why I accepted a position here-however practice is not on par with what is being preached.

7. "Management is terrible"

Pros

Nice owned properties that attract renters during the tour

Cons

Its the depth that is the problem. Bad leadership and poor customer service.
    Immoral and no values

Advice to Management

Need to listen to the residents. Management is terrible and too by the book. Will fall to the reviews of customer satisfaction

"Tenure based not performance based!"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have zero education but are outgoing and looking for a fun environment, then this place is for you! If are willing to wait years for a promotion you can earn in minutes then you should go for it!

Cons

Micro managed, dramatic, political, unprofessional, uneducated, uninspired & dysfunctional are just a few of the words I would use to describe Camden. Management earned positions based on tenure not on customer service skills or management ability. I went in motivated and inspired, 2 weeks in I was treated like a child and micro managed beyond belief. My manager took. 2 hour lunch breaks and ran personal errands during work hours. I was not allowed to share my ideas or bring any concerns to management. Issues with residents were not a priority. Absolutely, the worse company to work for. Disappointed.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to performance. Stop micro managing. Reward high performers with more than emails!

"Brown nose your way to the top"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uniforms, benefits and nothing else

Cons

Property managers are basically concierges who brown nosed their way to the top. They have no clue of real property management. Its not parties or drinking sessions. It doesn't mean you own your employees or have the right to threaten firing your staff at any point.

During interview you are told huge pipe dreams and promised a family organization and once hired the less are exposed. People with no experience cannot lead a properly functioning team and will pull everyone's moral down.

Sorry I wasted my time.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced property managers and make sure your upper management understand ethics, customer relations, project management, hr management, team leadership. Stop promoting your friends and instead invest in restructuring based on all your negative comments and all of who have filed this review and the one you sent us "for our honest feedback"

"Absolutely NOT~"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of anything at all.

Cons

Too many politics~ People in upper management are BLIND to events and need to re-evaluate why they are in a people industry . They treat them without any dignity or repspect and that goes for employees as well as residents

Advice to Management

No advice to give because they DO NOT LISTEN