Camden Property Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Camden Property Trust Chairman and CEO Richard J. Campo
Richard J. Campo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits (medical/dental/vision, apartment discount) (in 23 reviews)

• Great team-oriented environment, good benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons

1. "Company Headed in Wrong Direction."

Current Employee - Leasing
    Current Employee - Leasing

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, 401k matching, Career wear allowance for employees, PTO is great once you've been with company awhile. Guest suites for employees all over country. 24 hour contact center for residents, and Business support center for employees is very helpful.

Cons

Camden has placed far too much emphasis on review sites. In the age of cyber bullying and infinite social media outlets, Internet trolls and people with keyboard courage, bonuses should not be based on these things as opposed to occupancy numbers, renewal percentages, etc. Increasing the weekend hours will not give you a positive review. The contact center and on call maintenance is perfectly equipped to handle resident needs.

Advice to Management

This used to be an absolute fabulous place to work. In the past couple years, it seems upper management has lost touch a bit. It's as if they are so far removed from the day to day interactions and situations on site, that they cannot truly understand what works and what doesn't, and the way they make their employees feel. And currently, the way they are making them feel is unimportant and 2nd class citizens.

May 1, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Human Resources

I appreciate your perspective and want to thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We value what our residents have to say as much as we value the feedback our employees give us. In order to... More

2. "Assistant Community Manager"

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great culture in the texas market

Cons

managers are supposed to be the leaders, but they are never in the office. No work life balance for anyone under community manager status.

Advice to Management

I understand providing excellence in customer service is important,but don't lose site of what you people need.

Apr 28, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate feedback from all employees, both past and present. Camden works hard to be a great workplace while also providing excellent... More

3. "Run.... Don't Walk..."

Current Employee - Community Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time

Pros

Days off, stock, 401k,

Cons

If you would like to be controlled like a puppet in Arizona then this is your job. Make sure to have your brown nose on as this is all the leaders want. Knob your head yes at everything they say and smile pretty.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate to your managers in Arizona, stop telling lies, Get a large mirror and take a look at yourself as you are both the problems.

Apr 19, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We value what our team members have to say and know that communication is always a work in progress. We would love the opportunity to speak... More

4. "Former Leasing Consultant."

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What Camden stands for is awesome. The CEO's are good people who actually care about their employees. The perks and benefits are good. Camden OWNS their properties and they're are so many nationwide to choose from.

Cons

MANAGEMENT is terrible UNLESS you are liked. Polices are always in the "gray" area but are black & white if you're not apart of the "in crowd" It can seem like a cult and a lot of fake people with the industry. Underpaid and your residents are spoiled because they know if corporate is called..9 times out of 10 they'll get it. Management never takes responsibility and doesn't practice what they preach. There is no trust for the people below management, it's always their word against yours. I believed in Camden for so long until it actually happened to me. Do not trust people! Just simply do your job!

Advice to Management

Create policies for termination so that if your management team doesn't like you, they can't just fire you. Learn to have some rules set it stone so everything is not in the "gray" area. Listen to everyone's side of the story. Be consistent with every employee. I felt so worthless at times when I would try and reach out to management. Make it easier for employees to reach out to HR without feeling like HR will backfire. Camden from the outside seems amazing but on the inside it's like high school.

May 15, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience while with us. I would love the opportunity to hear more if you are open to sharing. Please call 713-354-2867 so that we may discuss... More

"Camden has changed over the years and not for the better"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time

Pros

Camden has great benefits. Bonuses. Fun employee events. Properties are well kept and employees are given the tools necessary to succeed.

Cons

Forced transfers from property to property. Leadership inability to practice what they preach. Maintenance employees are underpaid and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

VP's need to evaluate Regional Leadership and look into why so many long term employees are no longer with the company. Many valuable employees have left because of the regional leadership. As soon as other opportunities present themselves, employees don't hesitate to jump ship. Change in Regional Leadership is needed.

"Camden Used to be a Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL

I worked at Camden Property Trust (More than a year)

Pros

$20 a night vacation suites if you're lucky enough to get them when you want to, medical, dental, vision, 401K match program, bonus programs.

Cons

Camden used to be a great place to work and I mean that. I enjoyed my time with them. When I relocated specifically for them just to deal with a boss from hell who fortunately got let go but a little too late (let's try about a year and half later of serious complaints that were ignored/taken with a grain of salt). They are now a company that is about their own profit, listens to the residents that don't deserve to be heard to violate fair housing and try to say it's a customer service thing when in reality it wasn't. A company should back its employees and not be one sided aka only listen to one person who had a secret vendetta and won for a while. I also found out that some really awesome people were let go for all of the wrong reasons which tells me this company really does not care about you. I'm talking about people who have been with the company for 10 plus years who lived and breathed this company. It's a real shame. Fortunately they seem to be doing well. One of the many reasons I am happy I gave my notice and left this company while I had some good sense left and I have been doing well since.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to all sides of the story. It can't be everyone is wrong and that one person is right just because of their title. Start caring more for all of your team members. I get you need to make a profit but don't do it at the expense of your good employees who earned you tons of residents and money.

7. "It's okay, I guess"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

Pros

They have lots of scheduled training courses and give you a raise if you complete all the courses.

Cons

All employees work weekends, which is ridiculous considering they advertise amazing work/life balance

Advice to Management

Value honesty a little more, advertise the commissions for Leasing Agents a little more accurately when you start at the company - tell people that part of their commission goes to maintenance staff.

8. "Management"

Current Employee - Management in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Management in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fun culture, continuing education at all levels. Community service, 20% apartment discount.

Cons

Too much inconsistent policies that continue to change very frequently with the expectation that everything that is being requested to get done can be done all in the same day. Fair trying to follow policy is almost near impossible when team leaders are giving in to every gripe and complaint from residents after being told that we are not to remove charges or things dealing with making exceptions to policies made by Camden. Very unsettling. Many tenured employees leaving Camden at the corporate office. Very unsettling as well.

Advice to Management

If you really want honest feedback from yearly surveys for company, don't make it mandatory to respond to survey if not enough people respond. It makes employees feel uncomfortable and forced to respond favorable to company for fear that surveys are not really confidential.

"Get paid in feel-good parties and fluff. No real intention of retaining employees."

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, decent benefits. Paid training was a great way to build experience in the industry. Camden employees work hard and play hard. Made friends.

Cons

Pay falls below industry standard. Other leasing companies offer better hourly pay as well as commission incentive. Camden forces residents into bogus and overpriced add-on's that made me feel like a crook. Company has a high turn over and does it's best to quiet anyone who is outspoken about poor pay. No real room for advancement as management positions are scooped up by mostly women who have been in the company since inception. Company is not ambitious in it's portfolio, and leaves few opportunities to advance.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your employees. Do not hold your employees back from advancing. Stop paying fast food wages and retain talented consultants or risk them leaving your company for your better paying competition. There is no shortage of leasing positions. HR and mediation process is one sided. Nurture talent and ambition rather than discourage it. I wouldn't offer paid classes on employee retention, while causing such a high amount of volentary turn-over.

"A beautiful dream that turned into a nightmare."

Current Employee - Maintenance in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of training, lots of drinking in company events good benefits,

Cons

Properties are old, tenants abuse the staff and management doesn't care about it, long hrs and under staff. They don't pay according to position and lots and lots of drama from all levels of the company. Camden advertising about the best place to work is only a fantasy ones you are in it becomes a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of your employees.
    Do what you advertise when hiring them.
    Be the best not only on paper.