Camden Property Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 6, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard J. Campo

Pros
  • Great people, great benefits, fun environment (in 19 reviews)

• Good benefits, overall "happy" vibe (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There has been some high turn over due to upper management changes (in 15 reviews)

• Work/life balance is hard, customers can be hard to deal with, bonuses change (in 6 reviews)

1. "Better than others, but not the best"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, company cares about the properties it owns and is not afraid to spend money to take care of it, great PTO once you've been there awhile.

Cons

I often felt a huge disconnect from onsite operations to regional management, outside people brought in over inside promotions, claim to listen and care about employees opinions and ideas, but little room for actual change.

Advice to Management

The platform of being ideas forward through soapbox is great, but only changing things like branded promo items and things already in place really make the it pointless.

Apr 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this feedback, we love getting insight from our employees and take every opportunity to listen. We truly care about our team members and would love to ... More

2. "it's good for what it is"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, overall "happy" vibe

Cons

Work/life balance is hard, customers can be hard to deal with, bonuses change

Apr 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and provide us some feedback. I am happy to see that you overall experience a happy vibe with us! We are committed to meeting our customers' needs and ... More

3. "Micromanage"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rental discount of 20% is great. Employee guest suites

Cons

The micromanage like no other. Keep track of how many emails and phone calls you make.

Advice to Management

To not always be on you all the time about everything

"Great for Entry Level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Camden Property Trust (Less than a year)

Pros

Camden is great at getting involved with your professional growth and training you to succeed. Their mandatory CamdenU classes offer a broad range of topics from Ethics to Customer Service to handling make ready issues. Everyone is friendly and helpful, even those at the Corporate office, and willing to help you grow in any way they can. Employees generally stay at Camden for many years. The corporate office is always reaching out on your birthday, anniversary, special events in your life. It can feel at times like a big family.

Cons

The starting pay is extremely low, especially if you initially get hired on at a smaller property. You are required to participate in the Career Wear program, which they provide funding for, however, the options are extremely limited to dull colors and ill-fitting styles. All training is mandatory, including the mentor-ship program, which can be irksome if you have previous leasing experience. You have the ability to grow within the company, but only when you finish the 1 to 2 year long process of graduating from the Leasing Consultant CamdenU courses and an additional 1 to 2 years on the Assistant Manager courses. But, good luck getting a promotion, when there are 30 other people in your area with more tenure applying for one opening a year.

6. "Grin and bare it"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time

Pros

Benefits are great & training is available.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist unless you work at a large community. People that do well in their position are overlooked for promotions. Ive seen top leasers get turned down for promotions and less experienced people get promoted. Promotions are based on who you know and the sob story you share.

Advice to Management

Promote based on ability and show interest in your leasing consultants goals 24/7 not only when sales are down.

"Upper management"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company cares about the employees. Pay with bonuses and paid holidays are awesome. Training in house is a bonus for maintenance tech's and supervisors.

Cons

Self-centered upper management with big ego, will push the panic button in a heart beat. Be prepared to wait for a couple of days before you receive a decision on addressing serious issues.

Advice to Management

Upper management changes can be catastrophic in areas with higher employee tenure. The executive leadership should carefully consider local employee promotions from within before resulting to lateral promotions outside of the portfolio, especially when the individual clearly lacks people skills and respect for a talented tenured team.

Jun 20, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate all types of feedback and are always open for suggestions. Camden does care about our employees and we work hard to make it a great place to work. When there are leadership changes ... More

8. "Great company with a lot of hidden bs"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very great company overall. Provide some room to grow with good benefits and training.

Cons

Training courses are mandatory during your work days, sometimes days off. They are usually long and there is minimal useful information since you sometimes take the courses after you've been an employee for months. Management can be very hard to talk to and HR is nearly impossible to reach. There is a lot of favoritism and once an opinion is formed of you it is hard to shake. You are also signed up involuntarily for volunteer work that the company sets up, even if it is your day off. If you are a Leasing Consultant you will probably never get a weekend off, and will have to fight to get vacation days depending on your manager and property. During slow season there is a lot of busy work and not much focus on training to get promoted unless you ask for it. Hourly pay is decent for a leasing consultant with no experience. But there is not real scale on who makes what (despite what you hear in interview). You work overtime, but they really dont like to pay out for it so you end up having to take long lunch breaks or come in later to balance out the time.

Advice to Management

Try to genuinely get to know your employees and what they have going on in their lives. Also, onsite management should have to work weekends just like the leasing consultants since this is a "retail" "customer service" company. This will give everyone a work life balance they can actually enjoy!

9. "Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

will try to give you proper staffing for the volume of traffic and size of community you are on.
    Salaries are OK, not great. I was fortunate to have a good regional manager who was smart and business savvy, she did her best to keep me.

Cons

Commission structure is terrible, they are not competitive and bonuses are even worse.
    Was on a very distressed property and decided to roll out all kinds of new income producing tools which in the end, ended up being double the work for me and my staff.

I have seen alot of recent turnover in staffing this year.

Advice to Management

quit micromanaging your onsite people and give them more autonomy, we are like puppets

"Great place to be promoted without a college education"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lease-up bonus structure, ability to transfer between communities and a fun place to work.

Cons

Management positions are filled by picking favorites and politics; instead of knowledge and experience. If you have a college degree and enjoy taking direction from someone without one, this is the company for you.

11. "Happy work environment with low pay"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Camden Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros depend on your manager. I've heard horror stories but in my experience the managers at Camden tend to be friendly and approachable. The hours are fair and work never feels like work. Camden normally does a great job of picking people who strive to be a part of a team but I've ran into one or two that slipped through the cracks.

Cons

The pay!! Other companies pay more for both hourly rate and for commission. The work environment is great but I'm not sure its worth the low pay.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees with respect. Being approachable makes work a more pleasant environment and will help with employee turnerover