Cameco Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cameco CEO Tim Gitzel
Tim Gitzel

Pros
Cons
  • With a downturn in the uranium market the company is in the midst of a very uncertain future (in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager of Communications"

I worked at Cameco full-time

Pros

Collaborative, thoughtful, fair-minded, experienced, intelligent

Cons

Challenging industry at present, a little slow to adapt

Advice to Management

Keep at it.

2. "MIT Operator"

I have been working at Cameco full-time

Pros

They good company to work for. with good insurance a 401k plan. the also have a very good safety program a company car good working environment.

Cons

The only down side to working for Cameco Resources is the 90 mile drive one way so roundtrip is 180 miles four times a week. witch can get a little difficult in the winter.

Advice to Management

It has been a real pleasure working with all the management and HR personnel the last six months. my only which is that I could continue to work for them. do to the market in the uranium industry.

"Geologist"

I worked at Cameco full-time

Pros

Worked with and for some remarkable people. Salary and benefits were excellent. Work was challenging and rewarding. Personal and professional development is a priority.

Cons

Work life balance is a fallacy but not any worse than other geology jobs. The company is disconnected within itself and that culture is systemic through management. Silos prevalent at multiple levels within division as well.

Advice to Management

The culture has deteriorated recently, even prior to layoffs. Trust, respect and comradiery was lost a while ago and there needs to be changes in the dynamic that made the division successful.

5. "All ways in for it."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pinehouse, SK (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pinehouse, SK (Canada)

I worked at Cameco as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great job, cool time, awesome camp, good food, nice schedule, great teamwork makes good work and less stressful. Awesome elements.

Cons

Better ways for sick days would be greatly appreciated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job.

"process foreman Mcarthur river"

Current Employee - Process Foreman
    Current Employee - Process Foreman

Pros

what isn't their good to say i have been with cameco before it was cameco it was eldorado then they merged to become a global force ,,worked at rabitt lake then down sized came back in 99 was hired to help start the milling operation found some of friends made many new one saw a chance to move forward was accepted into the position of process foreman love the job work with great people ...i am on disability for now ,,trying to get back where i was before need want have to get back ,,,cameco made me a better person cant wait to go back ,,ty for this opportunity to voice my like of this company more like a large family ...

Cons

ummmmmm ........ nope sorry oopps see a 20 word minimum well their is the one time ..nope their wasn't ...lol good luck everyone

Advice to Management

haven't really nothing bad to say all the management i have met treated me the same way with respect gave me advice when needed helped when asked always took time to answer my questions answered my questions even though it wasn't part of my area found the people very friendly thx for all the help will be back

"A job with a good future"

Former Employee - Heavy Duty Mechanic in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Heavy Duty Mechanic in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Pros

I worked for Cameco for 25 years and the only reason I left was that I couldn't do my job anymore. Not only that Cameco created a job for me the last 5 years they didn't have to do that.They could of sent me off site and put me on long term .I don't think any company could treat there employees any better than that.Cameco has a great respect for safety and the environment and is a srong beleaver in educating its employees I enjoyed my 25 years at Cameco and I wish Cameco all the best in the future to come Yours truly Al Hanson

Cons

The fly in job is not the best for some people but that is the way it is on a fly in job. If they could handle the plane delays a little better by communicating more in the airports it would be good.

Advice to Management

It would be good if upper management could come out in the field and talk to people get to know the workers a little better I knew all the managers so I was not intimidated and I felt I could explain any concerns to them. If you have a town hall meeting its not the same as one on one.

8. "Summer at Cameco"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cameco as an intern

Pros

Cameco has a very welcoming corporate culture, full of friendly and intelligent people who are intent on making whichever operation they are working at safe, productive and pleasant for everyone working there.

Cons

Cameco is a huge, global corporation, so it can sometimes feel like advancing your career takes a long time. There are however, transparent milestones for promotions through the first through levels, it can just take a while.

Advice to Management

I know they have strong ties with Saskatchewan, but it would be nice for people who are on a FIFO rotation and don't live in the province to provide flights to Toronto or Vancouver.

9. "chemical"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Pros

Excellent place to work, great pay, great people and extremely safety oriented

Cons

Very regulated makes getting projects completed difficult due to restrictions but considering the industry it is understandable

Advice to Management

Management was very efficient again and excellent place to work

10. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist

I worked at Cameco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and lots of community involvement

Cons

Current officers have too much focus on shareholders and not on long term company health

Advice to Management

Assess long term risks to make business decisions rather than short term stock holder happimess

11. "A great place to work and grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Cameco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strong corporate values
    - Committed to safe working practices
    - Great community investment
    - The top industrial employer of aboriginal people in Canada
    - Great work life balance

Cons

- Siloed work culture and lack of collaboration
    - Inefficient work processes
    - Lack of accountability

Advice to Management

Continue to work hard to incorporate a culture of collaboration and accountability.