CamelBak Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Sally McCoy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

Pros

Great company. I worked for a summer, learned a ton about the industry. They set me up for success later in my career with other companies

Cons

Pay was low. But I knew that going in. Really no complaints. Everyone was always really busy. Sometimes project turn around was slow as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep making awesome products. Hope to come back one day.

"Restructuring, Cutbacks, Needs Better Training"

I worked at CamelBak Products full-time

Pros

I love their products and so it was a no brainer to accept their offer when I was applying. The build great products and have a strong brand name on the market. The culture was awesome with lots of social/team building events and cool product perks and discounts. It's a great culture for young people. Benefits were okay, but I came from a previous company that paid for it so I am kind of spoiled.

Cons

Its about an hour north from SF so living there isn't exactly exciting for recent grads or single people, but if you have a family - its okay. The pay was low - very low in my opinion - for being in the bay area. But I took the job for the brand name and to move on somewhere else or to get promoted. However, there seemed to be little growth for career opportunities (in my field) and salary increases were a joke. There was a learning curve for training and learning their process, but the leader I had was in the transition of taking on their new role and I felt I wasn't trained well. CamelBak was then acquired by a holding company and the restructuring and cutbacks began. CamelBak itself was doing okay, but with its new parent company bombing their stock, a lot of changes were made to correct that and departments were restructured and people were let go or left. The time that I was there, I felt like there was a lot of people coming & going. Turnover seemed kind of high IMO.

Advice to Management

Provide clear opportunities for career growth, better continued education/training options, better profit sharing for the workers who actually do the work and not just the VP/executives.

"Big changes after recent acquisition"

Former Employee - Manager in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Petaluma, CA

I worked at CamelBak Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Historically, CamelBak has been a great place to work. Nto perfect; no place is. But it has been a group of committed people (sometimes overworked) who have worked passionately to build not only a great brand but a great place to work. The last two leaders of the business have been very skilled and committed to the business. The present leader seems very capable as well but hasn't been there long enough to know yet... I left right after she started and it wouldn't be fair to offer up much of an opinion there.

Cons

After the recent acquisition by a larger entity (with roots in the gun and ammo business), the culture is changing rapidly. The new entity is a matrix organization (which isn't inherently a bad thing) and that structure is moving decision-making largely outside of CamelBak's control. Matrix organizations work best when the matrix is staffed by world class talent. From my vantage point, the folks at the upper reaches of the new matrix are not as talented as the folks in the businesses they acquire; thus weakening each business they put under the matrix. But hubris at the top is driving talent out and allowing mediocrity to slowly bleed value out of the brands that are being acquired.

Advice to Management

If you are going to pay top dollar to acquire a company, you need to be a lot more thoughtful about rapidly changing the management team. Make sure you understand thoroughly what you are changing before you actually change it. As you are about to find out, I fear, brands are more fragile than you think and you don't have the talent at the top of your matrix to ensure safe passage through this type of rapid business and cultural change.

"A great company with potential to be greater"

I have been working at CamelBak Products full-time

Pros

CamelBak is a company that understands its consumer, its brand and it shows in the products we make. The company environment is more like a community with plenty of gatherings and opportunities for social interaction with team mates. At its core, it is a positive environment to work in. One of the best companies on employee health and wellness. Benefits are pretty good as well. Seemingly a great place for young people to start their career.

Cons

While innovative in the development of products, business innovation isn't a strength. Organizations seem fixed in eras long past and functions seem disconnected from one another. The leadership spends more time on product design & development than evolving the business. Process, knowledge and technology tools in general seem to be an after thought or not well utilized. Goals are lofty, while headcount & compensation are low. This seems to work well for shareholders but conflicts with employee satisfaction. Professional growth opportunities are limited.

Advice to Management

The Best Places are measured by more than dollars, profits and fun company socials. CamelBak is a great company that has the potential to be greater but its going to require more than just adding or replacing foot soldiers. Leadership needs to engage more to help move the needle. Building great products is great but building a great company that builds great products is better.

"Hard working company, progressive, aggressive, intuitive, looks ahead to the next challenge with enthusiasm."

Pros

Great teams, collaborative environment, back to health initiatives, interesting projects, strong CEO leadership, work life balance. Opportunities to give back to the community through volunteer projects.

Cons

Weak calendar management to align deliverables on time, often no clear direction, upper management does not provide leadership direction for advancement, no profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Provide clear opportunities for career growth, share profits past the VP level to the people who work so hard to hit the numbers.

"Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

Pros

+ They treat their employees very well, excellent work-life balance.
    + Very nice location.
    + Very good leadership in some departments.

Cons

- Not many training opportunities.

Advice to Management

A lot of new people so some team building activities would be beneficial.

"Excellent Culture!"

Pros

The company HQ has excellent culture; encourages creativity, teamwork, rewards hard work and initiative. Camelbak offers competitive benefits, diversity in the workplace, and fun team-building/professional growth opportunities. My impression is that the senior team have strong ethics and values.

Cons

Seen co-workers perform well but get stagnant in a position and cast as the "go-to" but never move up into greater leadership roles. The company keeps the staff numbers low, so you must wear many hats- and even then you will be busy, plus depending on the department tack travel on top of that.
    An hour north of San Francisco is not the most attractive location for fresh out of college talent, but great for families.

"Top notch products, work place could use a little help"

I worked at CamelBak Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative and high quality products with a very strong mission. Great employee benefits and a very casual work environment. The company supports a healthy lifestyle, exercise and has programs in place to support employees.

Cons

Growing pains, and lean work environment. People are so maxed out that they won't take initiative to find improvements to processes, embrace a more training-friendly culture because it is a drain on their time.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and empower them to make decisions so they can have clear marching orders and just get things done faster. Improve the infrastructure so people have support and can work more efficiently.

"This place is amazing"

I have been working at CamelBak Products full-time

Pros

They entire staff is friendly and very easy to get along with. They put out healthy snack food, coffee, tea, etc all day, every day. The office environment is VERY casual. They say it's business casual, but as a guy, if you wear anything more dressy than jeans, it's considered dressing up. LOTS OF FREE STUFF, you also get to see test and (sometimes) keep prototype products that wont be available for a year or more. Overall it's a great place to work.

Cons

For my line of work, I haven't seen any cons. It's a very great place to be.

Advice to Management

none at this time.

"We got your Bak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at CamelBak Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work life balance, not a traditional top-down environment, all of management and senior team are approachable and responsive. Sabbatical policy, PTO accrual is generous. Tuition reimbursement. Free schwag. Food is brought in regularly. Showers after running the reserve trail. Lastly its just the people that make it go.

Cons

As with any place their is a learning curve, a lot of learning is try, fail, learn... or simply shadow.