Camelot Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Bock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Social Worker"

I have been working at Camelot Education full-time

Pros

Great work environment! Friendly staff, who are very motivated to support the students.

Cons

Been with the company for 2 years, no cons at this time.

"A reward job under very poor management"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Camelot Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly, the kids are amazing and you get to be a big part of some of their lives. Watching them succeed is extremely rewarding.
    My coworkers are truly amazing, caring dedicated people. Feels like a family.
    The schedule is great for those of us with kids.

Cons

No raises. I have seen them reply that they do merit raises, to whom, administration? Not a single person in my building has gotten a raise in over 5 years.
    Decisions love to be made with out input from the classroom staff, admin makes decisions for kids only seeing them maybe for 5 min at a time.
    Benefits are non existant. Camelot doesn't contribute to retirement and the health benefits are unaffordable.
    Kids are seen as dollar signs. Students are being placed in rooms they are clearly not a fit for (putting an SED kid in a MN classroom) just to hit census.

Advice to Management

Fix your culture, treating employees like they don't matter in a high stress job is going to continue increasing the high turn over.
    Place students in appropriate placements. Putting students in classroom where they don't belong is dangerous and does not help the student succeed.
    RAISES! as much as money isn't why most of us work the job we Do, it still matters. You've increased the cost of health ins e very year yet I have yet to even get a cost of living raise.

"Must be passionate about helping kids"

I have been working at Camelot Education full-time

Pros

The group of people I work with was very diverse and knowledgeable about the company mantra. They truly believe in helping students and making a difference in their lives.

Cons

Your job is secure if the school district is happy with the way the school is ran. If your student population drops the school has to downsize.

Advice to Management

Show your staff that they are an invaluable asset to your community.

Aug 16, 2017 – Communications

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is helpful as we constantly work to improve our programs for both staff and students. We know our staff make differences in the lives of Camelot students... More

"There are better options"

I worked at Camelot Education full-time

Pros

Immediate coworkers are awesome.
    You get exposure to local districts via IEP meetings which helps you get a job when you leave Camelot.

Cons

For-profit company that made $66Million off of kids last year.
    Schools are in disrepair
    Staff is underpaid and overworked
    Kids are fed with a budget that makes public school lunches look amazing
    Annual raises are not provided.
    Employee rules are shady and threaten dismissal for discussing wages (Discussing wages is legal in the US and companies can be sued and heavily fined for firing employees who discuss wages with coworkers).
    Administration did not communicate anything to staff - many teachers started ESY and started the school year without knowing which kids would be in their classes.

Advice to Management

Give people raises and give them incentive beyond the lanyard pins to work there longer than 1 year. Take the money that the company is getting and ACTUALLY use it to benefit children instead of lining your own pockets. I have read many reviews on here and have seen that Camelot has replied that they continually try to maintain a competitive salary with local districts. This simply is not true. Roughly 10 people left the campus I worked at and ALL of them were provided significantly higher wages - some even as much as $10k/yr more at local districts. There are too many administrative, managerial, and corporate downfalls to this company and I highly advise anyone who may consider Camelot as a place of employment to look elsewhere. Until significant changes are made, this company will continue to be a "revolving door" and staff turnover rates will continue to skyrocket. As I said before, roughly 10 people left my campus and that should be indication to steer clear of here.

5. "Special Education Teacher (middle school)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Camelot Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working with this company. I was given clear instructions and clear expectations. The program is an alternative Education program, therefore, the students do have behavioral issues for various reasons. Your best bet is to get to know the students and be consistent with them. They can see through you and can tell who cares and who does not. Yo are literally able to learn and grow as a teacher with this company.

Cons

Teachers do not get raises, the salary is ok, but no raises.

Aug 16, 2017 – Communications

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is helpful as we constantly strive to improve our programs for both staff and students. We are so glad you love working with Camelot Education and... More

6. "I LOVE MY JOB!"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional

I have been working at Camelot Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company take good care of their employee with a vast variety of benefits, employee/campus incentives, employee recognitions, and phonominal staff support.

Cons

Hourly paid employees don't receive raises- at least one has never be offered in the 3 years I have been employed. That is not to say that I am not appropriated as I have received many incentives/ pearks for my hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

I think that sometimes employees that are not open to listening to and learning from their experiences and constructive criticism have a hard time hearing your demands. I feel like they are taken too personally. I have gotten. The impression for former Co workers that they felt disrespected and unappreciated. I might add, I have NEVER felt that way.

Aug 16, 2017 – Communications

Thank you very much for your feedback, and for the work you do to help our students! We are so thrilled that you are having a great experience working for Camelot Education. As we continue to... More

"Read the articles!!!"

Pros

There are very few pros. Staff who have good intentions and skill don't stay due to poor management and administrators treating employees badly. Those who stay either do nothing or treat the students badly.

Cons

The educational structure and behavior management encourages staff to be aggressive towards the students. There are several articles that describe situations in which staff used their position to bully and physically harm students. These articles are very accurate. The administration/corporate office encourages and rewards aggressive behavior.

"Therapist"

I worked at Camelot Education full-time

Pros

The people that work for this company are examples of perseverance and compassion.

Cons

Simply stated: no raises in years for support staff (2009+/- a year).

This translates to a consistent turn around in employees who, regardless of their value, are clearly not valued by the company.

Advice to Management

Caring about students on paper isn't enough. Care about the staff those students connect to, find incentives to bring people in and to retain then, i.e., begin with raises and competitive salaries.

Offer that, and your prime directive, to make profit, will come with reputation, as opposed to pure greed.

"Working for a profit education sector"

I worked at Camelot Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers really cared about their students.
    Team effor in getting the students and quality education.

Cons

No updated books
    Lack of tools given by the organization
    Money first then the safety of the workers

"Dedicated to individualized care for exceptional students!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at Camelot Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The teams really come together to design individualized education and clinical plans to support their students. There is a continued commitment to meeting each students' needs that includes training and support for team members. The clinical team is organized and committed to assessment and delivery of the best services possible.

The schedule is great with a lot of holidays and time off, and the company offers a lot of incentives and fun region wide competition and culture building activities! There is always something fun planned for staff and/or students.

Cons

working in the helping profession inevitably brings difficulty- some days can be more stressful that others with trying to problem solve more ways to help support our students.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your teams and increase diversity of trainings and support! Top down leadership is crucial to a successful team.

Feb 15, 2017 – Communications

Thank you very much for your feedback! We're so glad you enjoy working at Camelot Education and we appreciate all that you do to help our students!