Camelot Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Camelot Group Reviews

Updated Sep 11, 2019

Found 85 reviews

2.7
Camelot Group CEO Nigel Railton (no image)
Nigel Railton
Pros
  • "It's great to see how your work can change lives, both for our winners and for good causes(in 14 reviews)

• "I feel I have a good work life balance and love being part of the Camelot team(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "About 10 minutes from Watford station though there is a shuttle bus(in 10 reviews)

• "Some of the senior management don't have a clue(in 9 reviews)

"Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I worked at Camelot Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities, great place to work, great ability to influence & a great employer

Cons

Moving from an amazing culture to a necessarily different culture

Camelot Group2015-11-05

"A good job but limited opportunities"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Executive

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The role itself is pretty straightforward in principle. I have to visit on average 10-11 retailers per day and sell in whatever campaigns we are currently focused on. The retailers are generally okay to deal with as the National Lottery means a lot to their business and you're not actually trying to get them to commit to buying/taking physical stock from you. The role is 2/3 merchandising and 1/3 story telling.... The job pays well, you get a suitable car to do the job in and the benefits are overall good. My work/life balance is good and there is a degree of flexibility with the role which is good

Cons

Too much is expected of us, in a 30 minute call we are sometimes trying to deliver 5/6/7 different messages whilst making sure that we are ticking a thousand boxes in our digital tool as well as making sure we're following our sales steps program. Opportunities to progress for field based employees outside of the Watford HQ are very limited despite the fact that Camelot has a ton of different departments, we're... pretty much all scrapping for our managers roles or the occasional role in national accounts. The way this company rates it's people regarding pay rises and bonuses is farcical. Every conversation I've had over the past 18 months is basically telling me that I need to 'influence' a certain group of managers. It doesn't matter if I contribute elsewhere on a project or if I get good feedback, if the small group of people that review my yearly performance don't know who I am then I won't get the 10% bonus that the job advertises. Working hard and doing a good job is secondary to sucking up to the right people.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to cram so much into each call and stop setting the quarterly plans to the maximum number of visits. You're incredibly poor at planning for the almost routine emergency add-on's that other departments want from us so just factor in their continued incompetence and allow us that flexibility, if none manifest then we'll over deliver our calls anyway. Either front up to all field based workers that the... opportunities to progress are pretty much non-existent or get busy researching what roles could evolve into ones that could be home based. If you don't want to do that then don't be afraid to talk to us all like adults and say "this is the job you've got, there isn't anything else for you realistically so just get on with it". If our PDP is good then we'll learn transferable skills anyway that we can take externally. Reduce the number of KPI's and do away with the 'How'. We all know there's a bias towards certain people and stop holding whether or not you know who someone is as a reason to grade them low at the end of the year, surely you're better than that aren't you?

Camelot Group2019-09-11

"A highly politicized, cliquey environment"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Camelot Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salaries Occasional training courses Prestigious employer

Cons

Terrible location on outskirts of industrial estate in Watford Several influential interest groups who only hire and foster their own kind Some 'management' makes decisions based on what is good for their CV and not the benefit of the cause Promotion opportunities are scarce; outsiders (friends) are parachuted in

Advice to Management

Relocate to more accesible premises so as to attract better staff. Reduce HR involvement Have a more equitable hiring ethos

Camelot Group2019-07-11
  4. "Rewarding"

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work, yes can be challenging but also very rewarding. Everyone can make a real difference.

Cons

The relevantly short licence period.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your staff, in regards to time and the personal touches.

Camelot Group2019-06-24

July 2, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re really pleased that you having a positive experience of working at Camelot and that you're enjoying both our big commitment to our people and the little touches. Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

"Awesome Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Policy Specialist in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Camelot Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for Camelot previously, I left for personal reasons and have returned a while back. Camelot has given me the opportunity to grow within the Company and use my skills and experience in a variety of roles. The people I work with are passionate about the success of the Company and everyone works hard to deliver to the business strategy. Camelot is also a really fun place to work with vibrant offices,... great parties, celebrations and competitions. I feel I have a good work life balance and love being part of the Camelot team.

Cons

I can't think of any. I wouldn't have returned if I didn't love where I worked!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Camelot has run a lot of development sessions recently, use these to keep developing and achieving.

Camelot Group2019-05-14

June 3, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re really pleased that you have a positive experience of working at Camelot and that you enjoy your time here. Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

"No morals"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Dundee, Scotland

I worked at Camelot Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money was ok, car was ok, with telematics.

Cons

Field team managers are a disgrace, children at best, we did a workshop to teach us sales and they brought condoms, a sanitary towel and depository medication. They thought they were funny, but it really wasn't. Embarrassing to say the least. Use fixed term contracts to suit the needs of their agenda. after 12 months they may renew a further fixed term or your out, no stability.

Advice to Management

Recruit professionals with experience of looking after a team. Rather then the clowns

Camelot Group2019-06-18

July 4, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value honest feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re sorry to read you had a negative experience of working at Camelot. We hold ourselves to high professional standards so it's disappointing to hear this wasn't your experience. We have a desire to continuously improve, we do take all feedback on board and have escalated this internally. The Retail Sales team have different work loads at any one time, so we need to be flexible with the way we resource from time to time which is the reason for fixed term contracts sometimes. Thanks again for sharing your insight, we wish you all the best for the future!

"Shocking - don’t go there!"

Former Employee - ‘office Worker’ in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Camelot Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’m the type of individual to turn a frown upside down and always try and find the goodness where I can. But I can honestly say this is the worst place I have ever worked. No pros at all. If I started listing I would be here all day!

Cons

Camelot ‘advertise’ their ‘core values’ but I genuinely don’t think managers within my area took the time to read them, let alone understand them. If they did promote and practice these within their respective departments then maybe Camelot would have a chance!

Advice to Management

The amount of change needed by Camelot is vast in my opinion and this message needs to be pushed from the top down, and EVERYONE needs to be onboard for anything to change, not just managers!!!!

Camelot Group2019-05-29

June 3, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value honest feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re sorry to read you had a negative experience of working at Camelot. We have a desire to continuously improve and we do take all feedback on board. Thanks for sharing your insight and we wish you all the best for the future.

"Fake"

I worked at Camelot Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay rates were decent and overtime available

Cons

I worked within a large team and it seems camelot like to make it look very inclusive and caring however at any lower level you were made to feel less every day. General feeling of concern for livelihood felt from all staff as losing your job was a common theme for no reason

Advice to Management

Treat all staff the same and don’t create an anxious environment. As a young person searching for a career I was made to feel childish and put down often. No real commitment from managers to help and support. Also gender equality was left at the door. If you are a middle aged man: That’s the only way to succeed at Camelot.

Camelot Group2019-05-21

June 3, 2019Employer Brand Manager

"Fun workplace, no job security"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at Camelot Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exposure to lottery games/ procedures Nice team and support from colleagues Company car

Cons

Job security isn’t confirmed as you can be made redundant at any minute Your job (exact same job) will be advertised months later and you will be told you don’t have enough experience

Advice to Management

Do not hire people under the pretence that they have a career with your company knowing you will do a massive clear out of job and hundreds redundancies just on year later. You are playing with peoples lives, adhere to your mission and ethics with players/customers and apply that to your employees

Camelot Group2019-04-20

May 3, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value honest feedback and we strive to make Camelot a great place to work. We’re sorry to read some of your comments, we have a desire to continuously improve and we do take all feedback on board. We hope you know how to raise any specific queries or concerns with your manager or HR internally to get the support you need.

10. "HR"

I worked at Camelot Group part-time

Pros

Great people to learn and grow with as well as feeling you are giving something back to communities.

Cons

Not as fast paced due to regulatory restrictions

Advice to Management

Keep innovating new ideas through tech

Camelot Group2019-02-24

March 4, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we’re dedicated to making Camelot a great place to work. We’re really pleased that you had a positive experience of working at Camelot and that you enjoyed your time here. Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Found 85 reviews