Cameron Global Rotational Development Program Trainee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Rowe
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great benefits, Great work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• This company had very good benefits (in 44 reviews)

1. "Trainee"

Current Employee - Global Rotational Development Program Trainee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't have to drive downtown.

Cons

Not very Innovative and slow moving.

2. "Solid Heavy Manufacturing Company"

Current Employee - Global Rotational Development Program Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cameron is a good place to start out. I started in the Global Rotational Development Program: Operations and I've gotten to know heavy manufacturing from the plant to the corporate level. It's challenging and rewarding and I've grown considerably along the way.

Cons

The people I've interacted with are pleasant, but feels like many people are stuck in their ways and things don't seem to change all that much for the better. Pay is average, but benefits are good.

"Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Global Rotational Development Program Trainee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great benefits package
    2. There are some really great teams to work with
    3. Many opportunities to try something new or to advance into another role
    4. If you are a go-getter you will learn a lot about manufacturing and oil & gas
    5. There are some exciting (hopefully positive) changes occurring in key areas of the business

Cons

1. HR makes it really difficult to hire the right people or get rid of the wrong people
    2. Upper management turns a blind eye to issues in key areas
    3. Management is very top heavy at the moment with many changes in the past months with very shady explanations as to why MORE upper management is needed
    4. Communication is very poor across divisions and even within divisions
    5. Right now the company seems disorganized, there are way to many areas within the divisions and not enough shared services

Advice to Management

Truly listen to what your employees tell you, especially the young ones. Invest more on IT because it is illogical that we are using outdated browsers and services. Put more money into your key areas not just for the customers sack but for employees (especially in Wellness). Invest in competence based training and make sure GRDPs managers truly have responsibilities for the roles they are assigned to. Do not punish employees for giving honest feedback.

5. "Truly a people company"

Current Employee - Global Rotational Development Program Trainee in Houston, TX

Pros

The people.
    The managers.
    Great development opportunities.
    Perpetual company growth.
    Great job security.
    Global opportunities.
    The value placed on employees.

Cons

The company is fairly fragmented, which can present a feeling of favoritism with certain divisions over others.

Advice to Management

Seems like more importance should be given to development of Cameron IT.

6. "Global Rotational Development Program (GRDP) trainee"

Current Employee - Global Rotational Development Program (GRDP) Trainee in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

My experience working within the company:
    I have great colleagues to work with, very experienced in their individual roles. They are never reluctant to help and offer advice when sought. A true joy to work with.

My experience with the program:
    It gives trainees a very good exposure to the overall operations of the company, besides the chance to work on improvement projects which are (sometimes) very exciting. Gives a real sense of ownership to the work you are doing as you see your improvement initiatives taking place and reaping results.

Cons

My experience working within the company:
    Old, messy management style which is better suited to Generation X. It is easy to be bogged down by the mind-numbing meetings that one has to attend, often with more talking than doing, aimless and dare I say pointless.

My experience with the program:
    It isn't quite like it used to be. Trainees are placed in whichever positions that needed filling (because the older employees left so go figure). The program also lacks proper planning in terms of rotation objective and the value and skills which the rotation is supposed to bring to you. (Yes, it does require some self-initiative on the trainee's part but in this case, the management could hardly bother).

Very different policies depending on the region in which you are working (proof of lack of policy alignment) because trainees in the SE Asian region have a monetary value tied to the bonds while our American counterparts do not (not sure about Europe).
    (Note: HR is very vague about the exact value of the bond so you don't really know how much you are expected to pay should you break it).

Advice to Management

Treat people better (it is indicative when almost an entire department wants to leave).
    Ditch the old-school rambling and have more focused agendas for meetings.
    Empower your people to make decisions and support them when they suggest improvements. I have seen too many people that couldn't bother anymore because their voices were never heard and acted upon.