Camp Bow Wow Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

3.4
Camp Bow Wow President  Julie Turner (no image)
Julie Turner
Pros
  • "Working with dogs every day, coworkers are great people, intelligent and approachable management(in 67 reviews)

• "The people were amazing and the animals were even better(in 31 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It can be hard standing all day in the yards(in 19 reviews)

• "only part-time hours and minimum wage starting out(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Dog day care

May 5, 2021 - Camp Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

People. People. People.peoole people people

Cons

Money money no money money no money

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Appears as a Dream Job and Company from the Outside Looking In, but....

Apr 20, 2021 - Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The individual contributors and managers of this organization are some of the most dedicated, passionate and creative team members that you will ever have the chance to work alongside. There's a fun and playful, yet dedicated working environment that makes it a great place to work - initially.

Cons

The leadership team isn't qualified enough to manage hourly employees at a Camp, let alone professional employees that are driven and want to succeed. The extreme pressure that the leadership team endures from the president to check off tasks by their committed deadlines of their lengthy project lists (which is disguised as a strategy), has created a culture that employees end up working far more than they should for the well below market value salary that is given. HR tries to keep the peace with all employees and doesn't know when to escalate the appropriate situations.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our Corporate Office culture. We are sorry to hear that you are frustrated. Aside from being an organization that focuses on Happy Healthy Pets, Happy Healthy People, we are first and foremost a franchising organization. We help small business owners open camps, and our main goal is to help them thrive and succeed as a business. We hear that you feel like we are trying to please the franchisees too much, but they are our customer, and we are here to help them succeed. We do have great associates, from the individual contributor level to the manager level and beyond. We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with our Leadership team, as we have implemented a lot of great items over these past couple of years to help all our associates grow and develop together. This includes focusing on engagement with a quarterly assessment, creating a professional development process, creating a performance management process, and having required training programs for all employees. We will continue to focus on these processes for all levels, especially for our leaders, to ensure they are growing and helping their teams succeed. The Leadership team, together with the President, decide on goals and strategy for the year; there is no single person deciding all the goals for their teams. We also offered that teams could deprioritize items, as we understand how priorities may change throughout the course of a year - especially as we are navigating out of a challenging 2020 which was unlike anything any of us have experienced before. If anyone feels like they need to reprioritize something to succeed, that person should work with their leader or reach out to myself in HR. We value all our associates, and, during a year where our camps and franchisees lost money, we were able to retain all corporate office associates and able to provide annual increases. Our president fought for this because of all the hard work that every associate has done, despite the difficult financial performance in 2020. We also conduct annual market studies to ensure that we are paying within market for all our positions. I understand that we are not always able to pay what larger companies do, but we have 95% our associates making above 50% of market for the industries of our size. We know that this has been a tough year. Fully remote working has helped us identify a lot of opportunities for us as an organization to create better processes and ensure that we are doing the best job in helping our employees thrive. As such, we are updating and changing processes that were not originally created to deal with an ever-changing work landscape. I apologize personally for how this has been perceived, and I will work on communicating processes more effectively. We also know that the pet industry is a blooming market, and our goal is to compete within this space and to grow and help our franchise owners thrive as well. Our franchise owners, once again, are our customer, and we are first and foremost a business focused on franchising. While we may not always agree on the strategy we have in place, this is where Camp Bow Wow is heading, and the goals we have in place are there to help us grow and succeed. We are excited about our future, and we hope that we can bring you on board. We also understand if our strategy and direction, especially franchisee support, does not align with your vision, and while we can disagree, we hope that you can find a place that can more directly align with your passions.

3. 3.0

Not worth it

Apr 26, 2021 - Supervisor in Greenville, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dogs. If you don’t love dogs, you will NOT last long here. Fun atmosphere with camaraderie between many of the employees, but there’s a lot of high school drama among the younger crowd. The customers bring cookies which is nice.

Cons

The pay is a JOKE, even for leads and supervisors, it’s truly not worth the time of anyone with potential. You will get cuts and bruises from rowdy dogs, sore feet from 8 hours of walking almost non stop, and you’ll be talked about behind your back. Consistently short staffed. Aggressive dogs are always allowed several infractions before they’re dismissed. It’s a painful and dangerous job with little reward.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

yikes

Apr 12, 2021 - Camp Counselor in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

most of the dogs are delightful, coworkers were nice, free snacks in the break room

Cons

no actual break to eat said snacks- just asking for one or taking a bathroom break is fiercely discouraged. Doesn't matter that coworkers are nice since you're never going to have a chance to talk to them. Owners have some kind of complex- don't acknowledge you, don't talk to you, don't even look at you. Allows frequent overbooking. Allows aggressive and unstable dogs to return with no re-interview. Pay is a joke for what the job is like. Try walking in circles, listening to ABC by the Jackson 5 on loop for 5 hours straight on top of ear-blasting dog barking- that's the camp counselor experience.

1 person found this review helpful

HR Director

On behalf of Camp Bow Wow Franchising, thank you for sharing feedback on your experience as an employee at one of our franchises. We’d like to note that locations are independently owned and operated, meaning that the employment experience can vary from one franchised location to another. We encourage you to share your concerns with the owner of the location at which you were employed. Please feel free to also contact Camp Bow Wow headquarters at https://www.campbowwow.com/about-us/contact-us/

5. 4.0

dumb

May 12, 2021 - Camp Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

none at all. dogs i guess

Cons

just literally an awful job lmao

6. 2.0

Great

May 13, 2021 - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Clean Facility and dogs are cute

Cons

Crap pay And lack of communication

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best dog daycare job

Apr 18, 2021 - Camp Counselor in Coppell, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dogs, good breaks, great corporate layout.

Cons

Some locations are not up to par with some I have worked with, but some are extraordinary.

HR Director

On behalf of Camp Bow Wow Franchising we thank you for your positive review. Franchisees aim to deliver on the Camp Bow Wow brand standard—Happy Healthy Pets, Happy Healthy People -- and we're so happy to hear that you're experiencing that promise delivered in your franchised location. We will pass this along to our Guide Dog to ensure it gets to the owner of the franchise!

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Definitely apply

Apr 18, 2021 - Doggy Camp Counselor in Hicksville, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The dogs were adorable and it’s a great first job or introductory job

Cons

Just that sometimes you’re going to be put in very high stress situations

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Okay job to start out with but plan on working somewhere else as well

Apr 30, 2021 - Play Yard Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Doggies!! Cool coworkers, bonuses on holidays + sometimes you get tips from baths

Cons

Pay is way too low for the amount of labor/risk involved with some of the dogs

10. 4.0

Decent entry job

Apr 16, 2021 - Camp Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cozy environment, relaxed work place

Cons

Bad work process, corporate guidelines that don't make sense

Viewing 1 - 10 of 364 Reviews

Popular Careers with Camp Bow Wow Job Seekers

Camp Counselor
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    Camp Scout (Marketing Manager)
    Franchise Business Consultant