Camp Gladiator Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2021

4.5
Camp Gladiator Co CEO Ally Davidson and Jeff Davidson
Ally Davidson and Jeff Davidson
Pros
  • "Campers are contracted so you have a set income for an extended period of time(in 29 reviews)

• "A trainer at Camp Gladiator must have a great work ethic and passion for fitness(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It does take ridiculously hard work & a lot of time to make a livable income (but what fitness profession wouldn't(in 24 reviews)

• "too many campers getting trained for free or cheap through promotions(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Intern

Mar 4, 2021 - Intern in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture was fairly good to me

Cons

Structure was fairly lacking imo

2. 2.0

They talk a big game

Dec 19, 2020 - Partner Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The campers you aquire (yourself) are awesome. Depending on your location, your team can be awesome too.

Cons

They will tell you when you're recruited that the average trainer makes $70k in their first year. Fat lie. They'll tell you they will generate 80% of your leads, lie. You can be the best trainer in the world, but if you're not willing to spam facebook (aka ask every friend you know to join, post in any group you can get into, comment on every friends post to start conversations), go to local businesses to post fliers, go to every event in your area, partner with other health studios, do free pop-ups, free works, free months of training, free everything....then you'll probably fail. If you're doing this as a side hustle, you'll definitely fail, you have to be all in. Oh, and they drive heavy about recruiting other trainers to join, guess what, you get a % of what the trainer makes? Sound familiar? They'll do everything they can to say they are not MLM, that they have the best trainers in the country and the best product. But all they care about is numbers. I ended up taking about $20k in savings over the year just to survive. I worked my behind off and made $12k (pre-tax). They will gladly show you what the "top performing" trainers are making ($150k/year) to give all the underlings hope that they can do it too. After about 3 years of straight up hustle, you might make $3k/month (actually paid out every 5 weeks). If you really want to be a bootcamp instructor, start your own.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Camp Gladiator is an AMAZING career!!!

Jan 28, 2021 - Partner Trainer in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Camp Gladiator is SO much more than a job, you’re building your business! You get to set your own hours, and have the ability to make a LASTING impact on people’s lives! It’s the most enjoyable career I’ve ever had!

Cons

Some people view the commission only aspect as a con. Personally, I love it. I transitioned into CG from the oil & gas industry where a lot of favoritism was shown (the president of the company had his nephew start out of college, and had me train him, after I worked there for over 10 years), and I was passed over for promotions and opportunities to move up in the company. At CG, you are paid on a commission scale, so it doesn’t matter who you know, it’s a level playing field. That was a big win for me.

4. 4.0

Personal Trainer

Mar 3, 2021 - Personal Trainer in Friendswood, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Don't have to work many face to face hours, owners are very hands on, on what the company is doing and keeping you in the loop, you get to help many people work on their fitness goals, the format follows NASM, great team building

Cons

you have to put money to start up, the company is about quantity instead of quality, its a team atmosphere but if you do bad you are the reason, takes months before seeing a return, they promote recruiting and where many get a bulk of their money. does tend to follow a bit of a MLM, there is no room for error on missing classes

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great family -- and great work!

Jan 16, 2021 - Administration in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company that works hard to maintain a positive environment and committed to changing the world through fitness! It truly is a family environment. This is a great place to learn, grow, and stretch yourself. I'm proud to see how many of my colleagues have worked their way up through the company over the past few years. There's a lot of exciting work here, with a lot of different challenges and projects to get your hands into.

Cons

Working at CG is not for someone interested in a normal, repetitive job day after day. It's a fast-moving company with new challenges and opportunities around every corner.

6. 5.0

Good place to work

Feb 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really fun environment! Loved the way we could interact with everyone in the department and outside of it if we wanted to

Cons

limited impact. difficult to build a portfolio from the internship

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Changing Lives and giving hope

Feb 20, 2021 - Certified Personal Trainer in Needville, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Internal support, marketing supplied, no overhead, wealth of product resources and training

Cons

None. Company is progressive and is always trying to reach excellence

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Founded With Great Intentions, But Has Woefully Lost Its Way

Sep 29, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some managers and executives really are awesome, highly competent people. The company has tried their best to maintain some semblance of corporate culture during 2020. Time off is very flexible, when you aren't drowning in your work load. And the company is growing successfully.

Cons

- Pay scale is incredibly below market average, on top of operating in a city with a high cost of living. - One of the CEOs is totally disconnected from all aspects of the company and has become a figurehead (at best) - Completely disjointed between teams and departments. The right hand has no earthly clue what the left is doing. - Job promotions are handed out as rewards to friends and are given out of blatant favoritism, or they just hire externally. - Corporate CULT-ure feeds you the idea that you work for the best company ever, while all employees are underpaid, undervalued, and under resourced. Offering criticism against the culture of the organization will result in being seen as an office pariah, and in some instances, blatant character assassination.

5 people found this review helpful

Camp Gladiator Response

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we greatly value your input as a CG employee! We are sorry to hear that your experience is currently lacking. We appreciate your understanding and empathy in sharing that we are all trying to maintain some similarity to the HQ culture we know and love in the year of 2020. -Surrounding pay at CG, we are continually working to improve in this area and have been making incremental progress. Being a bootstrapped business who has thrived in 2020 is something we are certainly proud of. Thank you for your contribution to our success. -On our Co-CEO being disconnected, most of the company is aware that she was on maternity leave and returned in September. It is understandable how that could be perceived as disconnected and we want to ensure you that she remains an integral part of the business focused on the product and working remotely, like the rest of the company during the pandemic. -As a company, we made the decision to working on multiple initiatives at once, and that is certainly a challenge. We are sorry to hear you feel this as disjointed departments. In order for us to continue growing, we may experience some pain points as we’re working through those. We would welcome a conversation to learn more about your struggles here and would be open to any solutions you might have! Having a feedback oriented and growth mindset culture at CG, we fail fast and make meaningful pivots in order to live out our mission of positively impacting lives. -Regarding promotions, all promotions at CG are vetted and approved by executive leadership. Promotions are the result of a teammates’ significant impact on the business; external hiring supports the ongoing need for specific skill sets required to scale and grow in our industry. We are always open to feedback, as it is a core component of our culture. Our goal is to be a best place to work, and that is not possible without hearing directly from our teammates throughout the year. Thank you again for your insight. We hope you see the People & Culture Team always as a resource and place of support. Please feel free to reach out to people@campgladiator.com so we can schedule time to connect with you directly to have a conversation!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

So much opportunity

Jan 25, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you put in the work you grow! CG has so much opportunity and the mission of the company can’t be beat.

Cons

If you are someone who wants to grow in your career it takes intentionality and time. That is true at CG as well!

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome Company

Jan 31, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission-driven, family environment CEO's care, great benefits

Cons

low pay, certain managers are toxic

Viewing 1 - 10 of 92 Reviews