Camp Ozark Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam & Susan Torn

1. "The best decision I've ever made"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't say enough good things about Camp Ozark. If you decide to do this job you will NEVER look back. I, to this day, think working here has made me a better person. I'm more loving, centered, sure of myself, and confident. You literally change children's lives and watch kids grow closer to God in front of your eyes.. while this is happening you don't realize how much you change and how much you grow. Now that I'm not working there-- I see how Camp Ozark shaped me. I can take on the world and truly say it's because I was a counselor at Camp Ozark.

Cons

It's far from where I lived so travel expenses were high but 100% worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep on rockin'!

2. "Instructor Specialist"

Former Employee - Instructor Specialist in Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Instructor Specialist in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met THE coolest people at Camp Ozark and formed great and treasured friendships during my summer working there.

Cons

Because the position of an Instructor Specialist entails various jobs and is constantly on the go, you are stretched pretty far. This makes it hard to truly invest in campers throughout sessions.

3. "You get out what you put in"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

build relationships with kids, deepen your faith with Jesus Christ, learn time management

Cons

Staff is out to get employees- they don't care if your intentions are pure, you're going to get in trouble if you mess up at all, have to find your own housing on weekends which makes the pay seem like little to nothing

"Counselor, Shooting Sports Instructor"

Former Employee - Counselor and Shooting Sports Instructor in Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Counselor and Shooting Sports Instructor in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being with kids and meeting other counselors from around the country would be the only positives about this camp. It's a church camp so it's obviously going to be somewhat rewarding being able to see God work in kids lives.

Cons

The management is not the best. Kids are taken care of but the workers are not at all. The hierarchy of management is not a healthy one. Camp Ozark is an unhealthy environment socially and discouraging to see a family turn a profit on hosting kids at a church camp. Their retention rate of staff speaks for itself. Looking back i wish i would've worked at a different camp and not helped the Torn's out in any way. Work at a different camp if you can. I would also never send my kids their. This camp is a cash cow for a family that is already very well off, which is discouraging given the fact that it's a christian camp.

Advice to Management

The camp needs to be managed in a biblical way that doesn't involve making money off of naive college students and wealthy families in Texas. The Torn's are micro-managers worried about the bottom line of the camp above the health of their staff or even the kids experience. If i were to sum up Camp Ozark in one word it would be discouraging.

6. "Do It!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Camp Ozark (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Camp Ozark has been one of the most incredible and unforgettable experiences of my life! I have made amazing life long friendships through my time at camp. Being a counselor has brought out amazing leadership skills that I never knew I had. Camp has always seen my potential and has pushed me to be the best that I can be. The kids are awesome (for the most part) and often times teach you more than you can teach them. Honestly, you get what you put into it. If you have a negative outlook, you will not enjoy your time at camp. But if you jump in with a positive attitude, you will love your time as a counselor.

Cons

It is a very tough job, and you have to be up for the challenge of long, tiresome days. As stated below, there is a bit of favoritism, especially with former campers, but it is easy to combat this if you work hard in your job. They definitely notice.

7. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small, family-like feel. Crews get along well.

Cons

Lack of exit opportunities. Not much in-house development.

Advice to Management

Communication can be improved.

8. "Great Place - Questionable Leadership"

Former Employee - Counselor in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Camp Ozark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to serve, meet new friends, and have stories from for the rest of your life.

Cons

Management play favorites. A lot of Summer staff members are former campers and they clearly get preferential treatment. While there are opportunities to get a better job in this company, it's like a background type of deal. There are never job postings, rather the leadership pick and choose people they've gotten to know well and basically just offer them positions.

Advice to Management

Try to work on being less biased when it comes to who you place in leadership positions. i.e. what percentage of your "Leadership: team are former campers? Is this a coincidence, or just convenient to not have to get to get to know new staff members?

"Great Job!"

Current Employee - Cabin Counselor in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Cabin Counselor in Plano, TX

I have been working at Camp Ozark (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is great
    It's an amazing atmosphere

Cons

Could be paid more for being there at all times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Tough but very rewarding"

Former Employee - Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a challenging place to work, people should know this up front. If you are looking for an easy summer, forget up. The hours are long, very long, and the amount of rest you get is very small. That being said, I very much learned a lot here, about how to push myself to my limits, how to rely on God, and how to work for the Lord, not others. There are also a lot of great people here, including the Top Staff. Finally, there are a lot of great kids here, and working with them is amazing.

Cons

I mentioned the lack of rest, it is tough. You will get very tired. Also there are a lot of rules about safety and electronics and things. It can seem very strict.

Advice to Management

Work harder to really get to know your counselor staff. Keep improving your encouragement.

11. "Great people, great summer"

Former Employee - Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

Pros

Work with some amazing people from all over while getting to play/coach sports and share Christ's love with kids

Cons

It is a for profit camp and the owners make a lot of money, but who cares you're not in it for the money

Advice to Management

It's a large camp, but try come of warm and welcoming to all of the counsellors and campers