Campbell Soup Company Brand Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2019

Campbell Soup Company CEO Mark Clouse
Mark Clouse
0 Rating

"Rewarding career with work life balance is possible!"

Current Employee - Brand Manager

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Campbell has all the positive aspects you'd expect in a traditional CPG company (Strategic leadership, Training, Iconic brands, large resources, great facilities). The main thing that sets it apart is that it cares for the people they serve with their products (Real Food for Life's Moments) as well as the people who work there. I am able to have a challenging and rewarding job surrounded by some of the smartest but kindest people I've ever met and at the same time make time to be with my family and make time for my personal life.

Cons

Like other large public CPG companies is very susceptible to Wall Street and the uncertainty of suddenly being acquired or need to cut it's way to EBIT targets is a constant reality to deal with. It's become a flat organization in recent years so upward movement is more limited than other places.

Advice to Management

Protect and cultivate the talent you have. There are a lot of super smart individuals in the company now that just need the right environment and tools to face and solve all the challenges ahead

Campbell Soup Company2017-06-01

"New values, old school white supremacy"

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time

Pros

- Company is serious about protecting its shareholders and bottom-line - Everyone is "nice"

Cons

I grew disillusioned this week by our company's response to customers expressing concern about the CEO's participation on the US President's Manufacturing Council. Customers began calling us #SoupNazis on-line; I hear the customer support lines had unusually long wait times during all this. When given an opportunity commit to our values the company's response seemed to be one of turning the other way. If we ignore it, surely, it might go away? Our stated values have turned into a thin veneer that glosses over a core of old-school corporatism. Our brand "real food" seems more fake then ever. This is not a place for serious brand professionals, nor, seemingly, those will any moral fiber. In short: - Poor environment for serious brand managers who want to espouse real values. - Lack of credible leadership and commitment to local community - Narrow focus on our shareholders only; actions speak louder than words!

Advice to Management

Lead through actions; not empty words that you secured through a manual of "best practices."

Campbell Soup Company2017-08-16
  3. "Great company, so-so culture"

Brand Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Campbell Soup Company

Pros

Great on the job training opportunities for marketing managers, exposed to a broad range of experience in just 4 years' time.

Cons

Lots of "hallway" conversations that align priorities without the entire team to provide input. Marketing tactics are stuck in 1995. Difficult culture for promotions.

Advice to Management

Enable your employees to make decisions and reward those who do outstanding work. When a position opens up a level above, consider promoting versus bringing in an outsider.

Campbell Soup Company2015-03-25

"Great work life balance but unstable environment with lots of org changes"

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work life balance, great, ,smart people and interesting work. I've continued to feel challenged and learn throughout my career.

Cons

Volatile environment right now with lots of org changes. Top heavy structure limits opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Corporate communication could use some work.

Campbell Soup Company2015-01-30
  5. "Great, stable company"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Brand Manager in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very proud to work for this company

Cons

This company is not growing

Campbell Soup Company2014-12-24

"The best mix of compensation and work life balance you will find"

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Camden, NJ

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance and a friendly, culture that (for the most part) cares about its employees. Yes there are layoffs and cutbacks but CSC tends to do it in a nice way compared to most companies. In addition, senior management grants a strong level of ownership to employees. It is generally a culture of trust and not micromanagement. In addition, compensation is pretty solid, particularly since south jersey/philadelphia is significantly cheaper than other areas in the northeast.

Cons

If you are ambitious, you may grow frustrated here. Its really a more mid-sized company compared to other CPGs so opportunities are few and far between, and the company is often not willing to "Rock the boat" to accelerate high performers.

Campbell Soup Company2014-10-14
  7. "Company in need of a vision."

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time

Pros

- People - Team-based - Compensation & Benefits - Cafeteria makes incredible food - Leadership attempts goal setting - Steadily adding structure to chaos

Cons

- Goals often unrealistic - Sole Short-term performance focus (publicly traded) - Declining as competitors rebound/grow (1st Qtr for their 2014) - Restructuring Annually (not impacted, but creates work stress - 3 years in a row)

Advice to Management

Seek buyout by Heinz

Campbell Soup Company2013-12-12

"Decent place to start, uncertain future"

Former Employee - Brand Manager

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people working hard Iconic brands that offer a variety of experiences - different types of products, types of consumers, different impactful marketing levers Good place to start your career & build skills

Cons

Inconsistant work environment that can be very manager specific Poor & deteriorating culture Employees question leadership's ability to set direction or achieve it The current general sentiment is one of fear and frustration as the company does quite a bit of downsizing and is unable to make a significant change in course.

Campbell Soup Company2013-11-05

"Company is very hierarchical; making it difficult to get things done"

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The offices are new, bright, and pretty - The brands are great - Emphasis truly is on developing quality products

Cons

- No training, but every expectation that your work should be done quickly, 100% correctly, the first time - Little respect for work/life balance

Campbell Soup Company2013-04-09
  10. "Assistant brand manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Hong Kong

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enough marketing fund for wholesome marketing promotion

Cons

Limited promotion opportunities for career development

Campbell Soup Company2019-10-06