Campbell Soup Company Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Campbell Soup Company President and CEO Denise Morrison
Denise Morrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, you can work from home whenever you want (manager's discretion) (in 53 reviews)

• Great people and training programs (in 25 reviews)

Cons

"Great Company in Decline"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands and beautiful HQ facility.

Cons

Where do I begin? Managers promoted to incompetence. Very High Turnover especially for women. (HR needs to look at that.) Anyone over 50 should start looking because Campbell likes to fire and hire two Millenials. Then the Millennials quit. Nice strategy. Before I left I heard from others that had left that Campbells was the worst company they ever worked for. Unfortunately things did not get better and with a re-org every year and no brand growth it was time to go.

Advice to Management

Staff your teams properly. Be more considerate to employees. Reward your top performers. Cut the dead wood. Senior leaders need to be accountable for poor growth and sales performance. HQ culture is toxic.

"Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

No room to advance. Management sets you up to fail as their scape goat. Live your values.

Advice to Management

Make an assessment and give your employees a chance to succeed. Give them real opportunities not lip service, stand behind them and cheer. Celebrate victories and learn from losses.

Jul 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for leaving a review, constructive feedback and transparency is essential for any organization to make positive change.

3. "Tech 5"

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn valuable troubleshooting skills

Cons

You will learn valuable troubleshooting skills due to lack of training

Advice to Management

Judge employees by what gets done not what you hear

"Don't be fooled by woman CEO, its the old boys network 100%"

Current Employee - Manager in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay is market or above. The new offices are nice though its open concept except for the big guys and their big offices that go along with their heated executive parking lot. As you can see its still old style here.

Cons

After 10+ years of living one reorganization after another it is just soooo hard. You will work unbelievably hard, however, its 70% busy work. Ideas will take years to implement unless its a last minute purchase for the board that ends up causing nothing but trouble and losses. Think Vlasic over and over. Plum Organics, Garden Fresh. At the manager level and below everything seemed pretty good. However, if you are a woman you will not get past that level. If you do hang out long enough you might get that next job if you work twice as hard as the guys. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "I am the main bread winner", and how many decisions get made in the boys bathroom.

If you use what once was cutting edge onsite daycare, they close at 6pm on the dot. Which means all the boys will snicker as you run out of a meeting to get your child. Either leave the daycare open open or don't penalize women for having to leave.

There are a couple of top women for show, don't bother going for advice, they will tell you to dress better and do something about your hair. I am serious. I have seen countless women try to break the glass ceiling only to leave in despair. Many mumbling about a class action lawsuit under their breath. The good news is they will settle if you get a scary enough lawyer. This permeates everywhere. Ask the HR department how many women have made it to VP from within.

It's very telling when the top management don't live in the area. Princeton and NY, hello!!!! National sales meetings often are held on non-christian holidays, hmmm guess they don't care. Mckinsey tells them to just keep cutting and cutting and making you work harder, but they have run out of cost cutting.

They changed the recipe on the tomato soup so even sales of that are down. They could put out a BPA free can today but choose not to for profits. You get the point. Don't was your time if you want a career above manager. There is no training because your boss will change within 12-18 months guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Get religion about treating women fairly. You can only cut until a certain point, then you have to come up with new products that people want that don't come in a can. Everyone keeps thinking they will get bought out by Heinz. To small potatoes. There is a reason why Heinz wanted Unilever.

May 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. It’s regrettable that you have felt unable to come to HR to discuss these matters. HR’s door is always open and I would encourage you to be... More

5. "Packaging Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I worked at Campbell Soup Company (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, enjoyed the people.

Cons

Too much systems work. Traveled 75% of my time my last year (including weekends) and I did not feel much of the travel was necessary.

Jul 1, 2016 – TALENT ACQUISITION

Hello and Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. We'll ensure your comments around travel are passed on to the respective teams to investigate further. We hope your current role is... More

6. "Summer intern"

Former Employee - Commercialization Intern in Kendall Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Commercialization Intern in Kendall Park, NJ

I worked at Campbell Soup Company (Less than a year)

Pros

nice faciliies, cool culture, fun events, close to philly

Cons

very political, ideas not accepted easily, no employee moivation, interns paid significantly less than full time employees yet they do the same work

7. "poor collaboration"

Pros

good compensation and competitive

Cons

Director level leadership is unaligned

"poor leadership at Campbells"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Napoleon, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Napoleon, OH

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay and lots of overtime available, laziness on the part of HR means that incompetence will get hired back year after year.

Cons

no loyalty, dishonest, no accountability, diverse to a fault, poor to no training, no appreciation for improvement in efficiency, possibly because middle management is taking credit for the ideas.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to have more contact with the floor personnel to know what is really going on, middle management is not above making scapegoats to hide their laziness or incompetence.

Mar 10, 2016 – TALENT ACQUISITION

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry that your experience at Campbell did not match our intention of being the best place you have ever worked. We are... More

"Sales Director"

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance. People engaged.

Cons

Need to reinvent themselves to remain relevant. Slow to do so.

"Advancement long and hard to come by"

Former Employee - Marketing in Camden, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Camden, NJ

I worked at Campbell Soup Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues who become really good friends. Great benefits and salary is among highest in the area for CPG companies.

Cons

Advancement takes a long time because there aren't many opportunities the higher up you go. As a result, employees are made to feel less capable or competent so the organization can justify withholding promotions. Also results in myopic thinking as employees strive to be perfect and just like everyone else in senior positions so they'll be promoted.

Advice to Management

Figure out your career paths--you can't keep laying off middle managers and also maintain career paths.