Campbell & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
William Andrews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Campbell & Company employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Campbell & Company full-time

Pros

Campbell & Company has an unmatched total compensation and benefits package in Maryland. Combine that with a collaborative and intellectually stimulating work environment, an employee can have an amazing career at Campbell with supported development opportunities, recognition, and the opportunity to build strong interpersonal working relationships with a group of advanced, experienced professionals who care deeply about what they do. Supporting a healthy work/life balance, Campbell provides employees with a number of perks in support of health and financial wellness, learning, flexible schedules, and overall well-being. Overall, Campbell is a great place to work!

Cons

For those considering moves from NYC or other larger metro areas, living in Baltimore would be a significant transition. That said, there are several benefits to living in Baltimore - a different work/life balance and great schools & neighborhoods especially. Additionally, Campbell is a smaller company; so for some coming from larger work environments, the transition may feel like a significant change (not necessarily difficult though) as there just may be different standard operating procedures and cultural differences.

Aug 10, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I love hearing positive comments from former employees! It's wonderful to hear you appreciated the effort we have made to make Campbell a pleasant place to work. We... More

2. "Campbell & Company Accounting Review"

Former Employee - Corporate Accounting Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Corporate Accounting Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Campbell & Company part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a collaborative work environment that promotes employee engagement and values opinions. Employees in both Corporate Accounting and Fund Accounting are a great group of people who are professional, responsive and personable, willing to train and assist as needed. The managers recognize and reward hard work and are approachable. Compensation, health benefits, vacation, 401k match, training opportunities, etc. are a step above most companies. The company also provides other incentive and wellness perks. My experience working at Campbell & Company was very positive.

Cons

Typical of most Accounting environments, quarter-end, year-end and audits require occasional extra work hours. Weekly department meetings and company updates enhance communication, but some more detailed items may still be overlooked.

Advice to Management

Continue to employ multiple means of communication, but be aware of business decisions and changes that may affect an individual, and communicate those as needed.

May 24, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback and thoughtful comments. You hit the nail on the head, communication is key. Alignment, engagement and to feel like part of a larger team and that is what we strive for... More

3. "Good Company"

I worked at Campbell & Company full-time

Pros

- They care about their employees
    - They try to create an environment convenient for the employees
    - Their benefit is great

Cons

- I can't think of any cons for now.

Apr 4, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I appreciate that you took the time to give us some feedback. We do care about our employees and work hard to provide industry-leading benefits and a supportive and... More

4. "An exceptional place to work."

Pros

Culture of excellence in all parts of the business.

Exceptional talent at all levels and desire to cultivate leadership internally.

Very experienced, but youthful, leadership team that have risen through the company and worked together for years (nearly decades). Strong emphasis on pragmatism.

Opportunities to have impact are only limited by creativity and ability to convincingly communicate the scope and scale of the opportunity (in any part of the business). Inter-department collaboration is the norm.

Strong camaraderie within teams and across organization.

Absolute transparency, inclusiveness and fairness: management is listening and very responsive to feedback; very open communication across the organization facilitated by culture, operations and technology. Underpinnings of decisions are made clear; decision making process is efficient.

Total compensation is strong and aligned with overall success of company.

Office, physical location, and other amenities (gym, cafe and library) provide a nearly ideal work environment. Health and other wellness professionals visit onsite for evaluations and consultations. Company has made and will continue to make investments in the physical environment to facilitate success.

Skin in the game: partners and employees (through 401K, profit sharing and other equity programs) have long-term motivation for continued success of the company.

Cons

Over the last number of years it has been amazing to the see the continued positive transformation under the current leadership, in particular, the willingness to listen (to employees, customers and markets) and take decisive, positive action. Almost any CON that could be expressed will be taken seriously by management and thoughtfully addressed. Over the years, I expressed numerous constructive points of improvement through structured feedback mechanisms and informal conversations and I have no reservations recommending Campbell to anyone.

Advice to Management

An exceptional place to work: a familial environment of exceedingly talented professionals with a team-focused and steadfast commitment to excellence. A place where you want to work and a team you want protecting and growing your wealth. You are doing a great job!

An ongoing challenge of immediate importance will be how to carefully evolve the structure of the business to offer a competitive and differentiated set of products when confronted with decreasing management fees, index-based or other (smart- or scientific-)beta products. This could be an opportunity to cleanly differentiate lines of business and branding, provide natural scalability of new (and perhaps unforeseen) opportunities and attract and retain exceptional talent by providing reasonably degrees of autonomy.

Given the unparalleled track record of (as of writing) nearly 45 years of successful managed futures trading, knowing when change is needed to confront new challenges versus staying with existing approaches that have served the company and investors well for decades will continue to be paramount.

A seemingly small (and sometimes controversial point) could be the extension of paternity benefits especially given the expectation of long employment tenure, protocols of other top companies which could be in competition for similar talent pools (despite different lines of business), and evolving cultural expectations.

Although through the internal university and seminars new ideas are expressed and encountered perhaps a renewed, required, emphasis (and structure) for gaining new knowledge (via technology trainings, hands-on conferences or short courses, etc.) could be instated to underscore the continued pursuit of monetizing innovation.

Expansion of internship (co-op) programs. This is an opportunity not only to recruit talent, but to stay current with the latest technologies and approaches that are being used in academic research and other industries. Internships not only for research, but also exploratory engineering and other infrastructure projects could continue to improve adaptability and agility.

Another consideration, is the potential for corporate sabbaticals (or leave of absence) after certain number of years of service (or other achievements). Could provide space within the building or elsewhere with the aim of rejuvenating employees or providing a block of time to gain new skills through travel, intensive learning programs, self-guided research or in semi-structured (publishable) collaboration with local universities (e.g. Hopkins). Others might consider volunteerism or athletic pursuits. See BCG, Autodesk, General Mills, VMWare, Genentech, Intel or Microsoft for examples across various industries (some with more success than others).

Oct 7, 2016 – CEO

Wow! What a review! Thank you for your feedback. I’m really happy to hear you found your time at Campbell so positive and am especially glad you felt like you had an opportunity to have impact in... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Researcher in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Campbell has been around for a long time, overall a great hedge fund to work for.
    - People are friendly and intelligent.
    - There is a can-do attitude throughout the whole organization and people are helpful to each other.
    - They value their people, and listen to them. It is a complete meritocracy.
    - Decent number of vacation days
    - Being in Baltimore is a pro if you are in one of the key business areas. They know hiring in Baltimore is hard for a hedge fund. You are valued perhaps more than on Wall Street here
    - Management is very engaged.
    - Very good compensation & payouts (especially in good years)

Cons

- Baltimore, not many career alternatives if you leave / were let go
    - Strict non-competes for research
    - Being an old hedge fund, they are set in their ways sometimes especially ones that only worked at Campbell their entire career. That being said, organization is generally pretty open minded
    - Benefits are great with one exception. Sick days. More below

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, your people love working here.

Please consider increasing the number of sick days and have it cover family members and scheduled medical appointments. It is not fair to say that you are generous with vacation days so your people should make do with only a few sick days. This is an area Campbell is seriously lagging the industry. People working here are responsible adults, and you can be assured that it will not be taken advantage of.

Jul 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it when people take an opportunity to give honest constructive feedback as it gives us an opportunity to evaluate ourselves and adapt or improve our... More

6. "They Know Their People are Everything"

Current Employee - Marketing Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Campbell & Company (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Campbell for a little over a year and it, by far, is one of the most caring and supportive work environments I've ever had the pleasure to be a part. The people are smart, collaborative, happy to contribute, and genuinely care about the company's success. The CEO and the President "grew up" at Campbell, and because of that, tend have a mutual respect and perspective from all sides -- they care about the success of the firm just as much as the people, intuitively understanding that the 2 are intrinsically aligned.
    The benefits are unparalleled, and they foster your needs as best they can. Communication lines are open with all management. They want you to grow, succeed, and be happy. I have worked for many companies. I know when something is broken. This company is just not. I plan to spend many, many more years here.

Cons

Communication -- I think Campbell sometimes forgets they are no longer a tiny firm. They're methods and investment in internal communications and training need to grow with the company to align better with their goals. With 2 offices and close to 150 employees, they could benefit from a more robust ownership of communication lines.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with your people -- keep up the great work.

May 23, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the kind words. If it seems like we value our employees, it’s because we do! Talent is one of the four strategic efforts that we have at Campbell. Making sure we can attract the best... More

7. "Excellent culture, great benefits, and a staff of hard-working, intelligent people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Campbell & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Campbell has survived the test of time and continues to be a thought-leader in an increasingly complex financial system. Employees come from all different backgrounds, and everyone contributes to creating the great culture that Campbell has to offer. From interns to senior management, input is always welcomed and constructive criticism is encouraged in order to promote critical thinking across the firm. Some of the smartest people I have ever met work here, and they are also the most approachable. If you are looking for an employer who genuinely cares about your interests and well-being, who strives to be a leader in their space, and who will provide you with the tools to succeed, I would highly suggest looking at Campbell and Company. (Top Place to Work in Baltimore too!)

Cons

As some of the previous reviewers seem to have noted, being outside of NYC/London/Tokyo has some disadvantages associated with it. However, Campbell has recently created an office in NYC that should help narrow this disconnect. Also, due to the smaller size of the firm, there are some issues with corporate advancement at a certain point (like most firms with 100-200 employees).

Advice to Management

Keep acquiring great talent and keep striving to be the "gold-standard" in our industry.

May 23, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m so glad you find the culture at Campbell & Company enjoyable and to hear that you find it easy to provide us input on how we can do better. In... More

"Excellent organization to work for with various opportunities to grow as an individual and as a company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Being a newer employee of the firm, I enjoy the company culture, the fast paced work environment and the excellent benefits - both personal and financial are top notch!! The CEO, President and Executive Members all take pride in these facets of the company and strive to continue to make the organization they best it can be. Not only do the clients come first, the employees do as well. That is not something that all companies consider. Having employees well rewarded and recognized, make employees work harder and better for their customers. It is truly a win - win at Campbell & Company.

Cons

Not applicable in this area

Advice to Management

Continue finding ways to move forward that are most efficient and rewarding for clients and employees.

Feb 9, 2016 – CEO

It's wonderful to have such positive feedback from a new employee, thank you! I'm glad that you recognize the effort that the management team is making to provide an engaging, challenging and... More

9. "Trading Manager - Hedge Fund"

Former Employee - Trading Manager in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Trading Manager in Towson, MD

I worked at Campbell & Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, very smart people

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about Campbell except it is not located downtown

Advice to Management

Keep up the same work

Mar 1, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments and positive rating. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed working at Campbell & Company. I think myself very lucky to have such smart and dedicated coworkers here at... More

"It's Hard to Imagine a Better Place to Work"

Current Employee - Researcher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Campbell & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Campbell. At a personal level, I get to interact with really smart colleagues that I respect and enjoy spending time with. Furthermore, I am able to work on challenging problems everyday, and I feel like my work has a direct impact on the success of the firm. More broadly, the company has earned the respect of its clients and other funds. I believe we have the right leadership in place at the top of the company. Finally, Campbell offers excellent compensation and amazing benefits, and a good work-life balance.

Cons

Being in Baltimore, away from the major financial centers, can sometimes make it challenging to attract candidates for investment and research roles. However, the positive aspect of this is that employees tend to stick around for the long-term once they join.

Advice to Management

The hedge fund industry is extremely competitive, and it is changing at an incredibly rapid pace. Campbell has done a great job in the past few years responding to these pressures, but it will need to continue to innovate, and not be afraid to "break things".

I would encourage the company's leadership to think deeply about what makes Campbell unique , and how we can best communicate our unique value proposition to investors. We have great people, quality products, and an enviable history. Let's continue to build on those strengths.

Oct 20, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback thoughtfully. I’m so glad you find that your work has a direct impact on the success of the firm as that’s an important element to enjoying what you... More