Camping World 125 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Camping World President and CEO Marcus A. Lemonis
Marcus A. Lemonis

Pros
  • Good benifits, employee discounts are generous, and has a blend of a relaxed retail job and a challanging career (in 8 reviews)

• It very laid back and the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Their main focus in the retail department is Good Sam sales (in 5 reviews)

• Punishing long hours, off site sales that consume your days off (in 5 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Sales in Boise, ID

I worked at Camping World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very process orientated; through training; great place to start your RV sales career. You will learn the business very quickly.

Cons

late hours and lots of shows, however, that is to be expected in the RV sales industry

Advice to Management

none

2. "GREAT EMPLOYER"

I worked at Camping World full-time

Pros

Opportunity to advance is there--you just have to work hard and sell.

Cons

Changes-there is a lot of growth so there is a lot of change

3. "Good company, fun industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Camping World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Industry is fun to be involved in especially if you like the outdoors/camping. The company culture is definitely sales driven--especially at the dealerships. Good community/volunteer spirit

Cons

Better 401K plan, salaries could be more competitive/equal

Advice to Management

Need communicate clear, concrete values to ALL employees no matter what position, ethical practices across the board

5. "Can't stay away"

I have been working at Camping World part-time

Pros

Fun place to work

Cons

Sometimes customers can be a bit much

6. "Camping world service technician"

I have been working at Camping World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and a mostly fun work environment. Plenty of paid time off and paid charitable service days.

Cons

Push for employees to be flat rate when it is not beneficial for employees pay wise. The "buddy" system is extremely prevalent as some employees clock disproportionate amounts of time compared to other employees, specifically trainees. No transparency as far as pay is concerned.

7. "Get What You Put In"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cocoa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cocoa, FL

I worked at Camping World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a salesperson, you need to do your independent research about all Recreational Vehicle models to make the difficult sales. Customers are given in order of employees present, so everyone gets an equal opportunity with customers.

Cons

You don't know the amount of money the company has into a model, so giving a customer a price is difficult. You also do not know your commission amount until everything is final.

Advice to Management

Give associates catalogs about all models available on the lot. Let the associates know the total investment into the RV by the company.

8. "I have to say, I love my job."

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR

I have been working at Camping World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an awesome place to work. The pay is great (depending on your position and pay plan, you control what you make). Great people to work with. An unbelievable amount of fun is had while working here, and a lot of hours are put in, so your co-workers become family. You find yourself waking up every morning bright and early with a smile on your face, and you're excited to go to work.

Cons

There seems to be some disorganization and lack of communication. It may just be something that is unfortunately standard in the industry. Also, being 100% commission, I am paid a bi-weekly draw. Being 100% commission isn't a con, I actually prefer it. The con is the fact that I used some of my "PTO" and actually had to pay back Camping World for the time I was off - literally - for every hour of vacation time I took, $11.54 per hour was deducted out of my commission. That baffles me.

Advice to Management

Take notice of your hardest working employees, below management or not, and reward/promote them. Make them feel noticed. Give them a raise, a bonus, a 401k match, something to make them feel noticed and feel like you value them. The ones that work 6 days a week, never miss a day, never call in sick, continue to show dedication to the company and generate big profit for the company. These are the employees that care and they will benefit the company long-term if they are rewarded for their hard work. The employees you don't want to lose. Something as simple as taking notice and rewarding a hard working, dedicated employee, goes a long way. They are rare and hard to come by these days, so keep them. Don't look at it as costing the company too much if you adjust a pay plan or give a generous bonus as recognition of an employee's hard work and dedication - look at it as an investment in your company to keep that employee with your company. You will make much more money in the long run by keeping them around and getting rid of the ones that actually hinder the company, compared to losing them because another company recognized their value and yours didn't.

9. "RV Sales Associate"

Former Employee - RV Sales in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - RV Sales in Columbia, MO

Pros

Everyone buying an RV is happy. Customers are great. Every

Cons

Little to no profit for salesman commission to be paid after service takes their charges on the unit. Parts are sold by the center store at list, service marks them up 100% and charges labor by hour the book or minimum fee. Whichever is higher.

"A Bookkeepers Opinion"

I worked at Camping World full-time

Pros

The customers were the best thing about working at and for Camping World. As the bookkeeper for Store#74, I came into contact with a variety of different people from many different walks of life. It was also a pleasure to work with some of the management.

Cons

The long hours could sometimes take a toil

Advice to Management

Learn to work with your staff, as opposed to always just giving orders. There are times that management needs to remember what it was like to start at the bottom and work their way up.

11. "Bottom Line is all that matters"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at Camping World full-time

Pros

Flexible company willing to work around your time. Will hire anyone regardless of experience or any education

Cons

No 401k match. No training. Doesn't value employees. Only cares about the bottom line, you don't matter at all to them. If you want a raise, they will just fire you and find someone cheaper to replace you with.