Campus Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2019

3.3
Michael J.Peter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great People, Great Support, Great Company" (in 3 reviews)

• "Site level staff is encouraged to truly work as a team" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, CAs are only allowed to work 20 hours at minimum wage" (in 4 reviews)

• "There are no cons that come to mind" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Campus Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great core values and team work

Cons

Training department could use some help, but headed in right direction

2. "Good"

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time

Pros

Lots of ways to get involved and opportunities to move positions

Cons

Management was not the best

3. "I get to be a life-long learner!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Campus Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Campus Advantage genuinely puts students first. It's not just a catchy slogan or marketing ploy. Yes we are in the business of leasing apartments and collecting rents, but more than that, we are passionate about creating a living and learning environment for students that is in every way complementary to their educational and career goals.

Support: I have received nothing but support from our corporate and executive leadership. Whenever I have questions or make a mistake, instead of being called out for it, I'm given an opportunity to learn from it.

Creativity: Because we enjoy a lot of autonomy on-site, we have opportunities to be creative and engage with our residents and prospects in ways that are suited to our population. There isn't a one size fits all to every community.

Professional Development: Campus Advantage offers conference opportunities for staff to apply to participate, and the leadership team encourages anyone who seeks out opportunities to grow in their role or in the industry.

Cons

Training and Development: Since I've started, there have already been leaps and bounds made in the on-boarding and continued training processes, but with a growing company comes the challenge of finding the best methods to train an ever-growing team.

Disconnected from other communities: Some areas are lucky enough to have multiple Campus Advantage properties in their market or surrounding areas which gives them an additional support network of peer colleagues. Otherwise opportunities to engage face-to-face with peer colleagues is limited to annual conferences.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for staff members to interact with peer colleagues outside of training calls or other group meetings, either virtually or ideally in-person.

Allow new staff members to shadow another community for a couple of days, and then have a mentor from that community join them at their site to assist with on-boarding.

4. "Managers"

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time

Pros

Good first job experience, learn to use important data software

Cons

Managers displayed poor communication and were very unprofessional at times

Advice to Management

Certain GMs need to be replaced

5. "Community Assistant"

Current Employee - Community Assistant

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing job to have while in college. They care about their employees and are very flexible with school schedules.

Cons

Turn is not necessarily fun but the paycheck is worth it. My management has a way of making the moral high.

6. "Marketing Assistant"

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time

Pros

Good with scheduling you when you are available

Cons

It is hard to get off when you are student for holidays and such

7. "Community Assistant"

Former Employee - Community Assistant in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in State College, PA

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours are flexible but you might be forced to work weekends.
    Incentive bonuses per lease sold.

Cons

Very low entry pay - expect minimum wage if not a college grad or leasing agent.
    Property management is absolutely abysmal, only training sessions were 8 hour video sessions with the rest of the staff that are mandatory on weekends. NO training done until 2 months on the job, so it was an absolute waste of my time.

They do secret shopper type applications, outsourced to third party agencies. Very easy to tell who is one, because it’s never a college aged kid looking for themselves, always a parent who says their child is at school in XYZ and the parent is there to choose for them. You get graded on these, and will be reprimanded if you don’t pass(I believe a 70-80%), but again, no training so you don’t know what to do.

If you have any connections with residents in the property, don’t work here as they will get ruined due to constant maintenance issues, unless you enjoy being yelled at or cursed out.

Advice to Management

Fix individual site management. The people applying are willing to work these jobs but they turn into jokes once they see there’s no true structure or training.

8. "Great People"

Former Employee - Community Assistant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good communicating and friendly management

Cons

Sometimes asked to exceed job description

Sep 24, 2018 – Reputation Mgmt. Specialist

Thanks for the honest feedback! We're doing more work in figuring out roles and responsibilities to improve the workload for our employees, and feedback like this helps very much. Thank you so much!... More

9. "Community Assistant"

Current Employee - Community Assistant

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get 30% off your rent.

Cons

Management is terrible. Corporate doesn’t care about you and pays you minimum wage. Management gets bonuses when you meet a certain leasing percentage which is hilarious because the CAs are the ones doing the work to get the leases. Management waives fees and does favors for their friends living on property but then charges others for ridiculous things. The whole company is a joke.

Advice to Management

Be more professional.

Sep 24, 2018 – Reputation Mgmt. Specialist

While it pains me to read this review, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Without knowing the details of what position you were in, nor what property you were at, it is... More

10. "Great With a Few Exceptions"

Current Employee - Community Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Community Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for college students who are looking to gain quality job experience. I have loved getting to know everyone in the community and in the office. The management enforces the idea of "school first, work second", as they schedule around all your classes and exams.

Cons

his job is not for faint of heart and you must be VERY flexible, especially with "on call". When you are on call, which you will be around 1 week out of the month, you must be ready to attend to any resident emergency at all hours of the night. However, you are only paid for time spent tending to emergencies. For example: you might not be able to go out with friends all week because you might get a call, and on average you will only spend around one hour or LESS on call per week. Overall you will find yourself with more responsibility and less pay than at many other jobs; more responsibility can definitely make you feel more valued as an employee, but financial compensation for the extra work would be much appreciated.

Advice to Management

I get that you are looking to save money by reducing cost for On Call by doing it this way versus a reduced hourly pay. However, this GREATLY drives down the effectiveness of on call, as employees have little to no initiative to answer the phone because they are not being properly compensated. This is not including the fact that it leaves employees feeling like their time and service is not appreciated. If you are willing to sacrifice the reliability of the On Call Service and the safety/well-being of your residents in order to save money, I understand; you are a business that must sometimes make hard decisions. However, I thought you should at least be informed from someone who sees this on a day-to-day basis.

Jul 24, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

We are so glad that you have loved getting to know everyone in the community! We are also glad that you are able to work, while being successful in school! We appreciate your point of view, and we... More