Campus Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael J.Peter

Pros
  • The corporate office allows recommendations for promotions from all employees (in 5 reviews)

• It is great to work for a company that wants to provide college students with a rewarding living experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing company experiencing growing pains (in 2 reviews)

• There are really no cons with this company (in 2 reviews)

1. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Campus Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. The environment is friendly and fun. Upward mobility is achievable if you work hard!

Cons

Growing company, lots of new business which is great but staffing is behind. Too much to do, not enough people most of the time.

2. "Community Assistant"

Former Employee - Community Assistant in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in College Station, TX

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Implements lots of resident events into communities for students.

Cons

Employee turnover was very high, I went through about 5+ managers in a 2.5 year period.

"Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Area Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Campus Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CA is the best company I have worked for. They have a great support team that allows me to do what I do best, run properties.

Cons

I work a ton of hours just due to the amount of dedication that I have to make sure everything is on track at all times.

Advice to Management

We need a GM destination trip once a year to Las Vegas or Cancun!

"Community Assistant"

Former Employee - Community Assistant in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- First real experience in Property Management
    - Worked with my school schedule to help me be more successful in school and work

Cons

- Any ideas and opinions were automatically turned down with no explanation by management

6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in San Diego, CA

Pros

Amazing people, very easily understood portfolio with top level management. The company really loves the embrace the family culture

Cons

There are really no cons with this company. They are growing and expanding and I am glad to have worked for them

"Just a paycheck, not worth persuing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Campus Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They do have a 401K and a match

Cons

Mismanaged as an organization, leaders are disconnected, no advancement, no real leadership.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, be out of your misery.

8. "Good For College Students Who Just Need An Apartment"

Current Employee - Community Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Community Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a community assistant, the job is not too challenging if you have good management at your property. Most of the work is filing, answering phones, and helping residents/prospective residents. Also, there is opportunity for advancement within the company.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage with a rent discount. Basically, you are working for rent and maybe $50 spending money per month.

Advice to Management

My current manager is amazing; however, the previous manager was promoted from within and was not qualified to actually do her job. She hid from residents and was rarely at work. She was fired, so no complaints there.

9. "Community Assistant"

Current Employee - Community Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Community Assistant in Tampa, FL

Pros

Communicating with residents
    The fun atmosphere

Cons

I really love working for Campus Advantage... no cons so far

Advice to Management

None

"Poorly managed, corrupt and broken company"

Former Employee - On-Site Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - On-Site Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Campus Advantage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As management you were given the option to live on-site rent free, which was amazing considering most people spend half their income on rent. Office personnel was awesome to work with. Sense of family amongst office staff that spread out to the community as well.

Cons

Upper management was cold. Recognition only given to those whom were in good with certain members of upper management. Promotions given to individuals whom had very little experience and a poor track record of accomplishment in any supervisory/management role or educational background that would merit the promotion. Representatives from the cooperate office were allowed to execute their own agendas despite clearly making choices that were both immoral, legally questionable and clearly displayed retaliatory behavior. One such manager was allowed to practice in what would surely be behavior that would be unacceptable by any company, displayed little knowledge and purposely sabotaged the sites she oversaw to in her role as a corporate office. Not surprisingly this same person displayed the same level incompetence when on a site-level; however she still managed to gain a promotion despite having a failing track record, no meeting occupancy and no understanding of basic functions for her roles. But again it is all in who you know, not what you know. Furthermore, once you have been promoted by someone that holds a high ranking title it would look bad on that person/ company to admit the choice to promote was premature and not in the best interest of the company. Company atmosphere/ attitude was horrible once there was shift in upper management roles. Those that were more involved took their attention to other efforts and trusted the wrong individuals. In doing so they lost several staff members that had aided in building the portfolio.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing people to run off on their own agendas torturing the people they oversee. Build relationships with all members of on-site management, listen to their recommendation as they best know their markets, pay attention to the actions of the corporate officers charged with having daily contact with site-level managers as they too aren't perfect; however I am sure this was made clear when the lawsuit was filed against the company. Value your employees, take the time to train and learn each role so you have an understanding of what the different people deal with day in and day out. Don't expect more from your staff than you are willing to give. Hopefully you will get back to the core ideals of the company and what made it successful; however I only see that happening if there is change in overall management.

11. "Great people, great values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Campus Advantage full-time

Pros

Everyone who works here is friendly and willing to pitch in and help someone new get up to speed. They truly try to live their values and mission. It is great to work for a company that wants to provide college students with a rewarding living experience.

Cons

A lot of remote employees make communication a challenge at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the efforts to create a positive corporate culture