Campus Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Michael J.Peter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Also, CAs are only allowed to work 20 hours at minimum wage" (in 4 reviews)

• "There are no cons that come to mind" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Community Assistant"

Current Employee - Community Assistant

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing job to have while in college. They care about their employees and are very flexible with school schedules.

Cons

Turn is not necessarily fun but the paycheck is worth it. My management has a way of making the moral high.

2. "Managers"

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time

Pros

Good first job experience, learn to use important data software

Cons

Managers displayed poor communication and were very unprofessional at times

Advice to Management

Certain GMs need to be replaced

3. "Marketing Assistant"

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time

Pros

Good with scheduling you when you are available

Cons

It is hard to get off when you are student for holidays and such

4. "Community Assistant"

Former Employee - Community Assistant in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in State College, PA

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours are flexible but you might be forced to work weekends.
    Incentive bonuses per lease sold.

Cons

Very low entry pay - expect minimum wage if not a college grad or leasing agent.
    Property management is absolutely abysmal, only training sessions were 8 hour video sessions with the rest of the staff that are mandatory on weekends. NO training done until 2 months on the job, so it was an absolute waste of my time.

They do secret shopper type applications, outsourced to third party agencies. Very easy to tell who is one, because it’s never a college aged kid looking for themselves, always a parent who says their child is at school in XYZ and the parent is there to choose for them. You get graded on these, and will be reprimanded if you don’t pass(I believe a 70-80%), but again, no training so you don’t know what to do.

If you have any connections with residents in the property, don’t work here as they will get ruined due to constant maintenance issues, unless you enjoy being yelled at or cursed out.

Advice to Management

Fix individual site management. The people applying are willing to work these jobs but they turn into jokes once they see there’s no true structure or training.

5. "Great People"

Former Employee - Community Assistant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good communicating and friendly management

Cons

Sometimes asked to exceed job description

Sep 24, 2018 – Reputation Mgmt. Specialist

Thanks for the honest feedback! We're doing more work in figuring out roles and responsibilities to improve the workload for our employees, and feedback like this helps very much. Thank you so much!... More

6. "Community Assistant"

Current Employee - Community Assistant

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get 30% off your rent.

Cons

Management is terrible. Corporate doesn’t care about you and pays you minimum wage. Management gets bonuses when you meet a certain leasing percentage which is hilarious because the CAs are the ones doing the work to get the leases. Management waives fees and does favors for their friends living on property but then charges others for ridiculous things. The whole company is a joke.

Advice to Management

Be more professional.

Sep 24, 2018 – Reputation Mgmt. Specialist

While it pains me to read this review, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Without knowing the details of what position you were in, nor what property you were at, it is... More

7. "Great With a Few Exceptions"

Current Employee - Community Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Community Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for college students who are looking to gain quality job experience. I have loved getting to know everyone in the community and in the office. The management enforces the idea of "school first, work second", as they schedule around all your classes and exams.

Cons

his job is not for faint of heart and you must be VERY flexible, especially with "on call". When you are on call, which you will be around 1 week out of the month, you must be ready to attend to any resident emergency at all hours of the night. However, you are only paid for time spent tending to emergencies. For example: you might not be able to go out with friends all week because you might get a call, and on average you will only spend around one hour or LESS on call per week. Overall you will find yourself with more responsibility and less pay than at many other jobs; more responsibility can definitely make you feel more valued as an employee, but financial compensation for the extra work would be much appreciated.

Advice to Management

I get that you are looking to save money by reducing cost for On Call by doing it this way versus a reduced hourly pay. However, this GREATLY drives down the effectiveness of on call, as employees have little to no initiative to answer the phone because they are not being properly compensated. This is not including the fact that it leaves employees feeling like their time and service is not appreciated. If you are willing to sacrifice the reliability of the On Call Service and the safety/well-being of your residents in order to save money, I understand; you are a business that must sometimes make hard decisions. However, I thought you should at least be informed from someone who sees this on a day-to-day basis.

Jul 24, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

We are so glad that you have loved getting to know everyone in the community! We are also glad that you are able to work, while being successful in school! We appreciate your point of view, and we... More

"A modern day Campus Crest but at least they had a proper lease."

Pros

My time at CA showed what exactly I don't want to be.

Cons

To better serve you, I have broken down exactly why Campus Advantage severely lacks in comparison to other companies:

Corporate Support: CA as a whole lacks the structure to ever be great. Regional Managers serve as a face to call and not a face to help. In CA, you can be amazing one week and once ownership puts pressure on CA, you are now the enemy and become the point of attack. When my regional would come to town it would be solely for her to go to lunch and tell us we need to get leases. Not once did she offer support, training, or offer assistance for our property. Furthermore, once we would come forward to her with issues - missing leases, fake leases, bills not being paid, lack of leadership, and no training , you would be met with a fake sense of caring and yet again, no action.

Childish Mindsets: The corporate team that we had interactions with such as our regional, student experience, etc. would openly talk about other employees around our staff. In my eyes, that is 100% inappropriate and wrong. For a company that prides themselves in cooperate culture and MOJO, it's interesting that this is how we decide to behave. People who pray on individuals downfalls but great them with a smile is what you will see in this company.

Reporting - How is it that companies that have existed for shorter times than CA have fostered a much better sense of reporting for leasing, financials, and market trends? It's simple - CA is a modern day Campus Crest; They want numbers and no foundation. CA is not an item line company - they just create ideas as they go and hope for the best. They spend money freely and have no means of collecting metrics. When you examine the reports of Peak Campus / Cardinal / Scion / ACC, you will see a trend - THERE'S HISTORIC's and real live data with oversight. All CA can offer is an acronym for a report that you have to design on excel, which will vary among region because there is no corporate standard, or use the items that have been taken from other companies.

Oversight: CA has no oversight over their properties. Instead, they take vacations, sit on boats, and only come to help once things have gotten bad. At my property, not a single market survey was uploaded or completed for a span of 7 months. 7 MONTHS! Delinquency was at an all-time high, leases we sloppily put together, counted with no documents or guarantor, concessions weren't accounted for, or files were simply missing.

Training: STOP HIDING BEHIND THE ACADEMY. Just because you added some new photos to the front page, doesn't mean you've revised the training programs. Student Housing is hard but until you accept the fact the systems you have in place aren't succeeding, your company will never retain the talent it needs. Your policy manual is dated and the Onesite support is for an older system no longer in use. Every company I have worked for has had a training system in place. At my property, upon arriving I discovered my entire staff wasn't in compliance within the Academy. To put this in perspective, not a single staff member knew the protected classes because they have never been trained on fair housing. Providing support isn't hard; An RLS can on-board an LM and show them the systems they use - a facilities manager can host live training each week. It's not a hard concept - you just choose to neglect your people.

Student First Experience - Truthfully, no one cares about this. The member leading this program is basically a glorified RA, who talks about everyone and pretends he is bettering the lives of students by hosting a Grill & Chill on the deck. * I use an asterisk because the AP process takes so long, we probably won't have the money for it or the amenities are broke / no paid.

Policy - How can you hold people accountable when our corporate team lacks the ability to follow / know what policies we have? An entire company should operate across the board the same. When you walk into a Peak Campus property, you will find everyone doing the same thing. CA is not like that and makes as they go. Practice what you preach!

Leasing Documents - I have networked with numerous people within the company in the same position that I was in and have found that nearly everyone has had a discrepancy within their lease and it wasn't fixed. The lease language is vague and at times is the completely wrong state. The best example I like to use for this is the Insurance and Indemnification Addendum. The lease requires that residents have insurance but not a single person enforces it nor does CA have a national vendor. Back to my original point, practice what you preach.

Catalyst - Catalyst is a modern day scam and puts properties at a financial loss. There are so many better services out there such as Jumper, Leaselabs, Squarespace, that will provide better pricing and better results. I found myself having to continually keep track of catalyst accessing wrong charges, not tracking data, or taking charge at all. Their reputation management program is a waste and rather than improve, they celebrate having two properties in the upper 90's for ORA. That's not impressive. Lastly, it's important to recognize that the leadership team owns Catalyst and is quite literally robbing owners of their money. It shouldn't cost 100+ dollars to make a flyer off Canva.

Positive Reviews - To anyone reading this, before you negate the review with the volume of positive reviews, I ask that you pull up Linkedin and search for the people writing the reviews - they're all current employees that either work at easy properties, or the corporate level. Do your self a favor and look elsewhere.

Work Life / Balance: You will not have it at this company; Your regional will but you will not. The corporate team would rather work you to death than offer you the help to get you through. Getting help seems like a burden for them.

RLS: How can an RLS be a part time support? Leasing is a full time job and it needs to be a full time priority. We need to examine how we lease and what we can do to be better instead of smiling and pretending all is well.

Advice to Management

It's so easy to clean hour and blame the on-site staff, which in some cases are true. But in more cases than not, it falls on your corporate team. You will never be the best until you address how you operate. Stop taking vacations and invest in your self and everyone around you.

Jul 18, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

9. "CA"

I have been working at Campus Advantage part-time

Pros

Resume Builder/Flexibilty/Move up in Company

Cons

Communication only reaches the managers

Jun 29, 2018 – Reputation Management Specialist

We are happy to hear that you have flexibility, as well as the ability to move up in your part-time role. Communication is highly important to us, so it is critical that you are communicating that... More

10. "Tunnel vision perspective on real estate"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Campus Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offers acceptable salary compensation for employees.

Cons

Disorganized. Management structure puts too many hands involved at one time which halts any progress from being made. Constant conference calls with no results that are an interference to the work day. Lack of communication from top level down. Upper management does not properly assess market needs, trends, or the best interest of the asset. Tunnel vision perspective on real estate markets, assumes a "one shoe fits all".

Advice to Management

Consult local attorneys in relation to local and state laws as leases are not always transferable from state to state. Different markets require adaptability and change to meet the needs of the asset. A one size fits all approach does not work in all markets. Too many upper management individuals are involved on projects and are stretched too thin to make effective and timely decisions. The interruption of continual conference calls halts the management team form being used effectively.