Campus Crusade for Christ Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Campus Crusade for Christ President Stephen Douglass
Stephen Douglass

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Meaningful work; very fulfilling; positive, encouraging, work environment with respectful, constructive approach to conflict (in 8 reviews)

• It's a great job to be full of purpose in helping to fulfill the Great Commission through college students (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • raising support can be hard and stressful (in 13 reviews)

• The work-life balance is hard to maintain at times (in 5 reviews)

1. "Campus Staff"

Former Employee - Campus Staff
    Former Employee - Campus Staff

I worked at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I will never regret working for Cru. It was difficult to raise support but as long as you can raise and maintain your support you will not find a better job or organization anywhere.

Cons

Requires a lot of hard work but worth it.

2. "Amazing Company Culture"

I have been working at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time

Pros

Family feel, travel, flexibility, a culture full of grace, everyday is different!

Cons

Abnormal schedule, lots of weekends, most employees don't have great work boundaries

3. "Too much like a business for a ministry"

Former Employee - Campus Field Staff
    Former Employee - Campus Field Staff

I worked at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and caring staff for the most part
    Decent pay
    excellent benefits
    Good fundraising training
    A lot of travel opportunities

Cons

High initial fundraising goal
    People can be treated like projects or numbers
    Micromanagement of personal life
    White male dominated space - hard for women and minorities.
    Too much emphasis on conference and big events.

Advice to Management

Be careful how many business practices you bring into your ministry.

4. "Senior Campus Staff Review"

I have been working at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time

Pros

They believe in caring for, training, and developing their staff.

Cons

Work life balance is hard. The scope of what we do and the constant push to grow where we're not makes it hard to have boundaries.

5. "5 year full-time missionary for Cru"

Former Employee - Campus Field Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Campus Field Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility in schedule, a lot of responsibility and ownership is given at the local level and to entry-level workers to engage in the mission and goals of the organization, a variety of roles to choose from and opportunity to experiment in different types of leadership roles, an opportunity to mentor and build leaders, a caring support-system for employees - the organization values its employees emotional and spiritual health

Cons

the daily, weekly, and seasonal schedule of an employee varies so drastically I didn't ever feel like i had stability in my work. you have to work a lot of nights and weekends in sporadic fashion and without much notice. it's hard to plan ahead to take time off for vacation. there is a strong company culture (self-motivated, doctrinally and morally strict, extroverted, opinionated, socially outgoing) and if you don't fit into the culture, you are marginalized. a lot of staff teams don't try to adapt to accommodate for workers with other valuable personality types. the pay is low as is the case with most Christian ministries

Advice to Management

MTL's need more training on how to grow ministries and staff teams that accommodate people who don't possess the typical "Cru personality" which is outgoing, loud, extroverted, self-starter and independent worker, prefers flexibility, and flourishes under lack of structure.

Also, I think the maximum salary cap for employees, especially staff who are married to a spouse who is not on staff, needs to be drastically higher. If I have a child and need to be the primary bread-winner for my family and my wife is not on staff and is full-time at home, I can only earn half of what a couple in the exact same situation can earn if they are both employed by Cru. And if the wife is on staff and her husband is not, she needs to work full-time on campus after maternity leave even if she has an infant at home, a situation which absolutely never would be expected if her husband were on staff too. The low salary cap made it impossible for me to continue working for Cru long-term if I wanted to have a family, so it became one of the main reasons I decided to leave Cru staff. Cru is going to have to turn away a lot of potential missionaries in the future if they don't raise the salary cap for "one-on-one-off" status workers. And it was my understanding that the one-on-one-off option was created to accommodate for more lifestyle options for staff and therefore, to allow more people to be eligible to work for Cru. In general, I don't see any downside to substantially increasing the maximum salary cap for all Cru staff.

6. "my years with CCC (Cruller)"

I worked at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time

Pros

Fantastic experience with clear mission

Cons

Sometimes difficult work environment with RMO and paid staff

Advice to Management

Bring greater clarity to RMO and paid staff, how alike, how different expectations

"Changed the World but got left in the dust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cru is amazing on vision. At Cru I have literal had the chance to change the world on some of the projects I have worked on. Most people you work with end up being strong Christians who care about each other a lot.

Cons

Often when those amazing individuals who care well one-on-one get together to make decisions they forget the values of the organization; caring a lot more about goals/tasks/projects than they do about people. I have found this to be true of several areas of Cru but particularly Operations.

Also, with high vision often comes a disconnect with reality. I am often asked to work too hard to achieve the impossible. It always seems very spiritual but often it comes down to poor planning by management.

Cru is a great organization to work for, I have enjoyed most of my time here but my advice is to be careful about boundaries. Very few people are going to help you with boundaries and sometimes won't respect them when you apply them.

Advice to Management

Care less about goals and projects. Care more about your people. They are your greatest asset.

8. "Donation Verifier"

I have been working at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time

Pros

Great work environment, great co-workers, enjoyable work for greater purpose.

Cons

low pay, little to no opportunity to move up unless someone leaves.

9. "Wonderful Working Here"

Former Employee - Field Staff
    Former Employee - Field Staff

I worked at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as staff for CRU was an amazing experience.

Cons

If you need structure, this job can be difficult

10. "Making a Difference in the World."

I have been working at Campus Crusade for Christ full-time

Pros

This organization is having a profound impact on the world and communities they are involved in. Excellent staff and working environment with top shelf training and resources. Cares a great deal for individuals and families.

Cons

Can sometimes be slow to adapt to cultural changes and provide incentives for staff to stay with organization long-term.

Advice to Management

Pursue creative "out of the box" ways to approach fundraising and communication networks.