Campus Living Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Walter Carpenter

Pros
  • I worked in the corporate office and had the pleasure of working with many great people, in the Houston office and across different villages (in 5 reviews)

• Several friendly staff in the corporate office, with a good number of social activities and events where employees can mingle between departments (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The US Corporate office has a great deal of turnover due to employee dissatisfaction and poor management (in 3 reviews)

• certain manager offers little to no suppport (in 2 reviews)

1. "Enjoyed my time with CLV!"

Former Employee - DOT in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - DOT in Houston, TX

I worked at Campus Living Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at CLV and would recommend it. I worked in the corporate office and had the pleasure of working with many great people, in the Houston office and across different villages. I loved the office, the people and the benefits! I also appreciated the focus on employee retention and identifying the right fit for the culture.

Cons

Continue focusing on your people - it's encouraging to see leaderships determination to build a solid culture.

"Wow - great job!"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Houston, TX

I have been working at Campus Living Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What is up with some of these negative reviews? I wonder if the reviewers even worked at CLV - some of the comments are just nutty! I work in the corporate office in Houston, and it's great. They just remodeled the office, and it looks fantastic. There's no outsourcing, and they've been hiring like crazy. There has been some turnover, but the folks who left were mostly the people who were negative around the office & did not work to be part of the team. Salaries are mostly in line with the market, and the benefits are great: 4 weeks vacation, 401k match, etc. Because the US branch is part of a global company, we get exposure to people and ideas (and accents!) from different places around the world. The CEO of the US region is fantastic - he has led a dramatic evolution of the business here & I can't wait to see what's coming next!

Cons

No employer is perfect, and CLV isn't either. It's tough to have a work-life balance, since there is always more to do. There are still a couple negative people in the office, which can drag down the energy and morale. The turnover in the business means that sometimes we lose people who know it well, and the new folks can take some time to get up to speed.

Advice to Management

Keep going on the path you're on. Keep valuing the employees in the corporate office and in the villages, and keep SHOWING them that they are valued. Some less serious advice: please provide more snacks, and perhaps some beanbags & hammocks for naps.

"Resident Assistant - Academy of Art University (IT'S A TRAP!)"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Campus Living Villages part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got some good housing rooms for myself, others with roommates, but those were usually bigger.

Cons

Free food from the cafe, but it is terrible and they make you work like hell, not really caring about your student life, even though they say they do.

Advice to Management

Make trainings more specific and objective. RAs do not need 2 weeks of training and even less to keep having the same training semester after semester for years.

5. "Senior Resident Assistant"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant and Senior Resident Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Campus Living Villages part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good diversity in hiring, Great team work, Accepting towards different personalities in the staff. Good dealing with students in higher education.

Cons

Bad budgeting, Should work on allocating funds properly. Leadership positions should train to be much more sensitive to the staff working under them.

Advice to Management

Open up positions to International students and be a much more diversified company, Offer more flexibility with work. Team counselors are needed.

"Poor Management - Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Campus Living Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 Weeks Vacation / Sick Time

Cons

The US CEO has decided to outsource most of the departments at the corporate office, such as Marketing & Human Resources to start. Once they have been outsourced they are going to fire the employees that are in these departments. They have also forced several of the current employees to write false, good reviews on Glassdoor which is ridiculous. The company is spinning out of control under the current reign. They have even went so far as to rename the Corporate office "The Clubhouse", which sounds ridiculous!

Advice to Management

Outsource the Management/Executive Team!

"Improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Improved teamwork, everyone encouraged to speak up and be part of building a better business, much more positive feeling around the place. Growing. Opportunities for good and enthusiastic people.

Cons

Nasty, vindictive reviews from some former employees. They don't paint an accurate picture; they just unfairly discredit the company and everyone who is determined to succeed. Still, it's a better place without vindictive people!.

Advice to Management

Keep at it; you are making progress.

"Good place for a very organized person."

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I worked part-time as an RA for one school year. I got lucky with my supervisor, so it was a really good expirience for me, because bond between our teammates and boss was strong and supportive.

Cons

Not everyone will get lucky with theyr supervisor, so it may be different from my expirience, and some people including had difficulties with orginizing their time.

"Headed up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Campus Living Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people and solid new leadership

Cons

a bit unorganized at times, but getting better

"RA"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Arlington, TX

I worked at Campus Living Villages part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time management, customer service, leadership skills, professionalism

Cons

Some managers were not professional, moody sometimes.

Advice to Management

Maybe just increase the perks for the RA's working. Will help international students.

"Transitioning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Program developed for training participants throughout Global platform.
    4 weeks of Vacation is a plus!
    Working through determining if the correct people are in the right positions.

Cons

It takes time to turn around attitudes and determine who is needed in the correct position.
    Need to ensure that people who do not fit the companies CULTURE & VALUES are not kept.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward with change and the correct people and values into the company.