Camuto Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Willingboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Willingboro, NJ

I have been working at Camuto Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, overtime, team oriented environment, paid time off, vacation, they understand the need for emergency leave. They always pay on time.

Cons

If you frequently say no to overtime, there is always the chance that they may take it away for good.

2. "Returns Associate"

I have been working at Camuto Group full-time

Pros

Good managers, will see worth in everybody who work directly under them.

Cons

Supervisor is oblivious to their employee's performance, strangely.

Advice to Management

Give employees more opportunity to communicate to managers to address problems.

3. "Great place to work in the fashion industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Camuto Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun work environment with a talented management team.

Cons

Commuting to the showrooms in NY city can be rough if you don't live close.

4. "Disappointment"

I have been working at Camuto Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary/benefits, summer Fridays, sample sales (cheap footwear/handbags/clothing - great for women). Co-workers made the job tolerable.

Cons

Generally, the workplace is dull and uninspiring and people aren't terribly enthusiastic about their jobs. Upper management doesn't communicate with us except on very rare occasions. My manager doesn't give or receive feedback effectively, is frequently out of the office, and doesn't seem all that invested in or concerned about my success in the workplace. I find this person very difficult to work with and doing so is uniquely frustrating.

My job description doesn't even remotely match my actual responsibilities. I have had no formal training (but was given grief by my manager for not knowing about proprietary, undocumented systems after being on the job for just a few weeks) and the systems we use work poorly and are almost as old as I am. I don't have an opportunity to contribute my knowledge or expertise or to grow my career. Due to a lack of work in my department, I have been told numerous times that I would be working on other projects, yet this has still not happened after almost a year.

Most of my time is spent on ill conceived projects that consist of tedious grunt work - things that really should be automated by technology, but inertia means that there is very little incentive or effort from the top to improve things. This includes working very early in the morning to late at night on numerous occasions, sometimes not even for job related tasks and other times to clean up problems that could have been avoided. Technology consists mostly of email and sending endless Excel spreadsheets back and forth; tools like Slack and Trello would probably help, but again, the status quo rules (even if it's inefficient). It's telling that another review has echoed a similar sentiment.

In short, if you don't mind the daily grind of uninspiring, menial work and you just care about collecting a paycheck, don't hesitate to work here. If you care at all about enjoying what you do and furthering your career, think again. I was recruited away from a job I liked and I had high expectations based on what the recruiter and interviewers told me, but I didn't do my homework and have regretted this decision tremendously.

Advice to Management

I suspect complacent managers are to blame for most of the problems, but it's unlikely that will change.

5. "IT Project Lead"

I worked at Camuto Group full-time

Pros

The salary & camaraderie among some of the people that work here.

Cons

Work Culture
    Work/Life Balance
    Lack of Communication among colleagues/teams you work with.

To begin, don't expect some sort of formal training. All your 'training' will be high-level and often times you will be left on your own in order for you to catch up.

Communication is not stressed enough within this department as well as the other teams you'd be working with. Few people have a hard time relaying information to one another whether it is via email, phone, etc.

Additionally, they work harder & not smarter. Obviously as a small private company they're no great resource to use. For a Project Lead to be effective, it would make sense to use a program such as MS Project or even Sharepoint -- unfortunately, you will spend a lot of time creating Excel spreadsheets & monitoring of Zendesk.

There were also times where there is no direction for a project. You will have to be able to adapt to any change for any project, meaning if you're already on track of completion there could be a possibility that something additional may be added to the project but can cause a delay, which in Project Management 101, is Scope Creep, which is something that needs to be prevented unless there's an approval by the Change Control Board! As an addendum, if there is a change needed for that project, it will be expected of you to complete it as quickly as possible, meaning you may need to make yourself available on the weekend, if permissible which leads me to my next point.

Be prepared to make yourself available even after standard 8:30AM to 5PM hours, if needed. There's been times a few people were working until midnight, late in the morning or even weekends. Additionally, there's been times folks have used PTO and still needed to work thus you aren't actually taking time off.

Lastly, expect to be over-worked. The department is severely understaffed thus your job description will not include any other details that weren't mentioned from the initial interview.

Advice to Management

Compensating the employees that are commit their time over the weekends (i.e. rewarding them additional vacation/personal days, monetary compensation, etc.)

Hire more resources even if it's contract roles so that you can work more efficiently and effectively when it comes to large projects, especially if you're understaffed.

Provide a proper training so that the employee's are aware of what is needed from them on a day to day.

"Overworked. Underpaid."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Willingboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Willingboro, NJ

I have been working at Camuto Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees and Co-workers soften the blow of working for a disorganized mess.

Cons

Morale is incredibly low. Employees are not thanked for working six to seven days a week for low pay. More times than not you're working six days a week for ten hours. Your overtime pay is exactly what you should have been making prior to overtime given your responsibilities. I find The Camuto Group as a whole to be disorganized, depressing, and completely understaffed and over worked. I highly recommend any prospecting employee temp agency or perminate to reconsider Camuto's offer. These long hours specifically at NJ has led employees to fights, both physical and verbal, graffiti, lower numbers due to low morale, and frequent turn around.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to be punished for what they're putting these people through. They won't be. Camuto accountability doesn't exist. Pay your hourly associates correctly, from warehouse to retail. STOP viewing a regular Mon-Fri week as a reward and treat it as the norm. Your employees are not stupid. Promote within! You have talent utilize it instead of being cheap. THE NEXT TIME your corporate "VIPs" visit the podunks here in NJ actually introduce yourself and encourage communication.

7. "Great For Internship and/or First Job"

I worked at Camuto Group full-time

Pros

Amazing place to learn and numerous departments that you can shadow to figure out exactly what you want to do in fashion. Good pay.

Cons

A few departments are very clicky and it takes awhile for you to feel a part of the team.

8. "PR INTERN"

Former Employee - PR Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - PR Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Camuto Group (Less than a year)

Pros

great office environment
    really nice
    learned a lot about fashion
    interns are treated with respect

Cons

sometimes you don't have things to do

9. "Nothing special"

I worked at Camuto Group full-time

Pros

Sample sales and discounts were good.

Cons

management was not good, too much favoritism

Advice to Management

Notice your employees and pay them more. Don't expect them to sweat blood for the company, after all it's just a job.

"Great Environment"

Pros

Laid back culture
    Free shoes
    Sample sales
    Chance for growth
    The company is growing at an exceptional pace

Cons

Have to be in your position for a year before transferring to a new job in a different department.