Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Reviews | Glassdoor

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) President and CEO Evan Siddall
Evan Siddall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The company is being destroyed by the senior management step by step (in 6 reviews)

• It is a large organization and sometimes it is difficult to more forward with new ideas due to management's slowness in taking action (in 4 reviews)

"Excellent second home."

Pros

Management is great. The organization for the most part is very flexible and understanding. They try to support work life balance.

Cons

Depending on your department - there may be many weeks and months of extreme overtime involved.

Advice to Management

Compensation at CMHC is less than market value. Many staff members have professional designations that are required for their positions however these staff members could earn significantly more elsewhere.

"Love where I am working now and happy I left CMHC"

Former Employee - Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can have free parking

Cons

Management should be more intelligent.

Advice to Management

Change you way of thinking.

"Some good people - Terrible administration"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues and immediate managers are supportive of staff initiatives, recognize work ethic and competencies.
    - Flexibility of work schedule
    - Excellent in-house training opportunities

Cons

- Grossly underpay people with high-level technical skills
    - Managers lack flexibility in employee hiring (for permanent posts) and salary
    - HR holds an enormous amount of power and cares only about ticking boxes

Advice to Management

- Reduce the power of the HR department and provide greater flexibility to directors and managers
    - Take stock of the the reputational damage inflicted by compensating "pencil pushers" at same rate as highly trained and motivated subject matter experts

"VP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have had a very diversified and rich career at CMHC and I know others can as well. You have to be willing to work hard and have the necessary leadership traits to succeed.

Cons

CMHC has a lot to offer as an employer. Employees have a say in making this a great place to work.

"More Work Needed on Accountable Culture and Enabled People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There has been a substantial amount of work done over the last several years to ensure that employees are appropriately empowered and that decisions are made at the right level.

Cons

There is still resistance to the concept of decisions being made at any level other than the most senior ones. For example, in the past week, I cannot think of a single important decision which has not passed through at least 3 layers. This is really not one of the hallmarks of a high performing organization. While we are trying to have less layers and greater spans of control, this is creeping back (or was never eradicated).

Advice to Management

There is no incentive for senior mangers and directors to let anyone else make decisions or to empower others. We do not for example measure this in any way. This is of course a difficult culture shift but we need to incite behaviours of innovative and high performing organizations which is for managers to empower and trust those who are experts and are closest to those we want to serve. In many instances, managers are simply changing and chopping because they feel they should or because they have a different (dare I say slightly more uninformed point of view). Challenging is good, discussion of ideas is good, pouring cold water and nit picking is not. Many very good people spend lots of their time reporting and explaining and justifying up; they would be better employed directly serving Canadians. as they really want to do

6. "Insurance"

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great leaders, collaboration amongst colleagues, opportunities for growth if you work hard and bring value to the table, don't expect to move up based on seniority, innovation is starting to be a big thing. They even created a platform where employees can share their ideas to improve the work environment. I tell all my friends that it's the best place to work at!

Cons

Compensation could be better in terms of bonuses. The banks are more agressive in this regards, but their base salaries tend to be lower.

Advice to Management

I was here before CMHC in motion (some call it restructuring in the reviews) and I can say that Evan and his team have done an amazing job at improving CMHC. I fully fit with the new CMHC. Keep up the good work! The culture is great, the values too and the new leadership is fantastic.

"Good place to work but pay is not competitive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great colleagues, fun work environment. A goood place to get your foot in the door. Nice office, parking and facilities.

Cons

Salary and bonus (max 10pct vs 50-100pct in privte sector) well below private sector jobs in the finance/risk/investment management field if you have a professional designation (CFA).
    Lots of red tape around the ability to travel to do ones job properly.

Advice to Management

Need to adopt an approach like OTPPP, CPPIB, PSP in terms of how you manage the Investments and how you compensate staff. It doesn't make sense to pay an investment professional like a marketing person if you want to retain talent.

"good pay"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay vs others companies in market

Cons

No work from home allowed. Not good.

Advice to Management

Work from home 2 days a week

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Response

Jul 5, 2017 – Project Leader, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We agree that our total compensation package is competitive compared to the market. We benchmark ourselves on a regular basis to ensure this is the case.

As for not... More

"Technology Analyst"

Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary and good benefits

Cons

Stay away if you have strong knowledge and skills and looking for a career NOT a job.

"Neverending change"

Current Employee - Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Great people to work with - colleagues are genuinely friendly and supportive
    - Good benefits
    - Decent work/life balance

Cons

- Constant change to all aspects of the organization with no end in sight (re-organizations that move employees around the company and lay-offs, especially of senior management, seem to take place quarterly)
    - Current change of culture towards less bureaucracy and increased autonomy for employees is extremely slow and has not been adopted by all team leaders/senior management which leads to frustration amongst employees
    - IT is currently being upgraded to bring the corporation into the 2000s but this just adds to the list of changes and pressure on employees to take on more during other major changes
    - There is a current trend to hire external candidates to fill vacancies leaving internal candidates stuck in their current positions with no ability to move upwards or laterally

Advice to Management

Senior management wants to become a high-performing organization but still needs to find better ways to encourage Directors to delegate decisions to the appropriate level so that employees have the ability to be challenged and enhance their skills. Achieving a good performance rating is based on quality work throughout the year, but without any opportunities prove yourself, it's impossible to achieve. Gaining practical experiences in order to move up in the corporation also appears to be extremely important. As an internal candidate for positions, I have personally been rejected based on lack of experience because the external candidates were "already doing the job outside the Corporation". This mentality of only hiring external candidates doesn't seem to encourage loyalty with current employees, value current employees knowledge of CMHC, or show CMHC as a place that wants to retain current employees throughout their career.