Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Aug 25, 2019

2.9
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) President and CEO Evan Siddall
Evan Siddall
Pros
  • "The new results oriented work environment means you can work from anywhere (home, another city etc(in 15 reviews)

• "Interesting work, great work-life balance, awesome colleagues(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "CMHC says it learns from its mistake but rarely will HR communicate the process to amend decisions that impacted employees(in 14 reviews)

• "Recently took away some pension benefits(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Love ROWE"

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love Results only work environment approach

Cons

Too far fir me to travel but ROWE makes it easier

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-08-25
  2. "Amazing work environment with a helpful team"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours (depending on position), welcome work environment, friendly and understanding co-workers, office area has a beautiful view of the Vancouver waterfront.

Cons

French classes are only offered to full-time employees.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-08-21

"Excellent compensation package, pleasant people but too much change"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation package is the primary factor that keeps people - many are overpaid for what they do and are worth in the market (even after our salary ranges have been downgraded recently). Most people are nice to deal with - nobody will tell you in face your idea is stupid like in private sector. The new results oriented work environment means you can work from anywhere (home, another city etc.) so you are free to manage your schedule as you wish (log off at 11 am, go shopping and come back in the evening), as long as you can “deliver results”.

Cons

Too much change and organizational realignments - every 8 weeks I have a new manager. And when time comes for annual performance review and bonuses, nobody knows what I did during the year. Nobody has an assigned office anymore - space needs to be reserved in advance - so most people work from home permanently (social isolation). Too many leaders that lack the technical skill to lead their teams because of the idea from the top management that leaders do not need to be technical. As a result, many technical projects suffer.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-06-19
  4. "Good government gig"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, ROWE, some smart people in teams.

Cons

Corporation is lethargic, takes a lot of time to make real change, if not mandated from higher ups.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-05-30

"Interesting work & good salaries"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Results Only Work Environment Work with purpose Employees very dedicated

Cons

Favoritism Old boys’ club management style

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-04-22

"Employed at CMHC for over 4 years"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-ROWE (Results Only Work Environment) is a big and amazing initiative that gives flexibility of when, how and where you work. Definitely a big plus. - The recent technology changes increase connectivity and ease of processes -Gender parity on the Senior Leadership team (an exact 50/50) -New strategy focused more on the Housing part of CMHC while easing the Mortgage part as well for FTHB

Cons

-Though change are important, the timing and the pace of the changes don’t always seem right. -People leaders often seem to lack leadership skills

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-04-07

"Not recommend to join"

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time

Pros

ROWE (Resulted Only Working Environment) gives employees work from home flexibility. Decent pay, good benefit

Cons

Non-stop changes. No one can follow what exactly the senior executives want. Promotion is not based on performance or qualification, but based on relationship. A corporate culture discourage honest feedbacks or disagreements. Very political.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2019-04-01

"New Compensation Philosophy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

Pros

CMHC was a great place to work a few years ago. The salary was really competitive and work environment was nice and positive.

Cons

There were so many transformations during since 2014, that people become really tired of all this. The most recent one, so-called new compensation philosophy is in fact just a big pay cut. They are hiding behind beautiful speeches about becoming a high performing organization rewarding its high performers but people are not stupid and can see the truth - this is just about reducing the salary ranges. People who used to work hard will be still working hard but most likely elsewhere. I woullnd's recommend this place to anyone now.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2018-03-04

"A lot of changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

Pros

Good working environment and a lot of changes that were needed.

Cons

- The changes could be negative for some employees. - Working from home policy haven't been updated to reflect the current reality. - Bilingualism

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2018-01-23

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Response

April 13, 2018Sr. Vice President, People and Strategy

We’re glad to hear that you think we have a good working environment. The good news is, we’re working hard on a number of fronts to make our workplace even better. We know that organizations that don't keep up in a changing world become extinct. These changes are impacting the way that we interact with colleagues, clients and stakeholders; the way organizations are managed; and the skills and behaviours companies need to be successful. Through our Future of Work program, we’re looking at our relationship with work and how we work, including the people, space and technology components of our company that support high-performance. Stay tuned for an update on this work in the coming months. As for work flexibility – we’re working on that, too. During last year’s National Tour sessions, employees told us as much: you want the autonomy to decide when and how you work, as well as flexibility in how you manage your time away from work. With that in mind, we’ve undertaken a review of our HR policies, with an eye to moving away from prescriptive policies to a more flexible, principles-based approach, to the extent possible. Additionally, we expect our Work your Way prototype of the Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) will go a long way to providing us with some great insights that will inform our next steps in determining what the future of work could look like at CMHC. Ultimately, we think these changes will benefit employees and our business alike, letting us focus on what really matters. Thanks again for taking the time to share your review – we really appreciate it. Marie-Claude Tremblay Sr. Vice President, People and Strategy

"Poor overall"

Current Employee - Capital Markets in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) full-time for less than a year

Pros

mostly respectful working environment for employees

Cons

1) Incompetent management 2) Poor guidance structure for new employees 3) Dishonesty prevalent 4) Insulting new compensation structure (highly disrespectful to new employees) 5) disproportionate advantages for French speakers Enough said?

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)2018-02-28

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Response

March 15, 2018Project Leader, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. Unfortunately, your review is so general in terms of its criticism, I am unable to provide any sort of insight or clarification. However, I encourage you to share your thoughts through our Pulse Check surveys. Regards, Angela Painchaud Project Leader, Talent Acquisition

Found 15 reviews