Canada Post Reviews in Ottawa, ON | Glassdoor

Canada Post Ottawa Reviews

Updated September 6, 2017

Ottawa, ON, Canada Area (Canada)

3.8
Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They not just offer good pay but many job advancement opportunities (in 34 reviews)

• Fairly easy work and good benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Takes years before one can move from temp on call to part time/ full time (in 31 reviews)

• UNION, dogs, part time to start (in 14 reviews)

1. "Network Transportation Optimization"

Current Employee - Manager Network Transportation in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager Network Transportation in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Out of the Box thinking, influence on the business

Cons

Too many stakeholders and any change. Unclear corporate strategy

Advice to Management

Involve everyone in the change management.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement if you want to

Cons

Very military, old school takes a long time for culture to change at CPC, but management is trying hard

Advice to Management

Trust employees - empower them to make decisions - be open and truthful don't hide things

"Good Benefits but so much Senior Management Nepotism"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for CPC is beneficial for your retirement benefits if you can last long enough and are lucky enough to work with a good group of people. Unfortunately hiring is sometimes already done before the job is posted and the interview process is just to cover themselves from being deemed unfair.

Cons

Very much focused on Toronto and Ottawa employees for career progression. CPC does not realize how they build barriers to talented people by focusing primarily on location versus actual talent, skills, and experience. Promoting employees with only high school level education and poor management skills just because they reside in Ottawa is a real down fall. Then the same director's relatives (brother, wife, sister-in-law) also get promoted although their skill sets are subpar to their counterparts living in other areas of the country. Too much nepotism amongst senior management team.

Advice to Management

There should be no barrier with regards to location for promoting talent for positions that can be managed nationally. General Managers without people management skills should be removed from their positions until they can demonstrate the ability to lead by example and empathize with employees and customers.

4. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, amazing work atmosphere and culture, great opportunities within the organization, a lot of variety in the work being done

Cons

Very risk-averse, so not a lot of opportunity to bring forward innovative ideas, many of the barriers that the government has to deal with, without the job security that the government offers

Advice to Management

Put more resources into training and development of employees, offer better incentives for high performing employees, provide access to better tools.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, nice head office facility, processes well established

Cons

Frequent layoffs, cut-throat environment, little support from colleagues.
    People are jealous if you succeed and try to sabotage you.
    Many silos - Complex work environment.
    Little support for people who join the company mid-career - they often get fired in 2-4 years.
    Promotion opportunities are minimal. Employee training/ development is lip-service - they don't really want you to become more skilled/valuable employees. They just need to check the box to say the training was done.

Advice to Management

Don't tolerate workplace bullying. Foster a more supportive environment for workers at Head Office.
    Support real training - eg certifications, and longer courses. (vs 1-3 day courses)

"Product manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Developing new products, leading projects, working with others, writing processes and procedure, data analysis, research, marketing plan, review web content, good customer service, liaison amongst stakeholders, giving presentations

Cons

Lack of support and unclear goals for between departments

Advice to Management

Provide clear concise communication plans and strategies

"I loved my time at Canada Post"

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

there are a lot of dedicated people who work for CPC (from the letter carrier & front line staff all the way up through executives), the people around me made my time there enjoyable. I think it's easy to criticize management various decisions without understanding all the direct and indirect impacts. Sometimes, decisions are made on the least of two/three/etc number of unfortunate alternatives.

Lots of opportunities for those willing to take risks and put themselves out there. I was privileged to have worked across the country, in a number of departments, and on a wide rage of initiatives.

Cons

CPC is clear on their position as a median compensation employer for management/exempt employees. I decided to leave for this reason alone - along with a number of other management employees. I worry about the future of the company and the ability to retain the best employees without a change / update to this policy.

Advice to Management

see cons - at the end of the day compensation is a big factor in employment ... not the only factor, but a significant one. the test for this is ask yourself, or your employees, what would you do if you won the lottery ... if the answer is anything other than "keep working in my current role", then you know money is a factor.

8. "Assistant to the General Manager, Labour Relations"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderfully exciting atmosphere with interesting work. Great boss and team. Fast paced and things are ever changing daily. I enjoy juggling the GM's daily calendar and many changing priorities that come through his office.

Cons

As a temp, I'm not able to access certain systems and information which makes doing my job a little more difficult at times. I have to find work arounds which sometimes can be time consuming.

"Always interesting"

Former Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic co-workers, interesting project work, reasonable pay, average benefits. I really enjoyed the work I did and I felt that there was enough latitude to make my own mark and to suggest improvements.

Cons

It's a struggling company and it cycles through periods of job uncertainty, which can be hard on morale. Some managers expected tons of unpaid overtime without regard for personal commitments.

Advice to Management

Support staff initiatives, they will likely help to control costs and improve services.

10. "Letter Carrier"

Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

The best part of this job is the benefits. You can earn a lot of money just for the benefits alone. The hours are fine but they were long. Overall it is a unionized jobs so you better get used to it quick.

Cons

There's a lot of competition to do well. There are many people with in this government job. Advancement is Slim or next to none.

Advice to Management

No comment is my comment.