Canada Post Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra

Pros
Cons
  • The only concern is it's not a full time job (in 28 reviews)

• UNION, dogs, part time to start (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

Canada Post is changing. It is building a team that will bring CP into the future as a leader in distribution.

Cons

A lot of red tape.
    Needs more collaboration
    Needs to educate and be more transparent
    Too much negative (untrue) media

2. "I'm proud to be a Canada Post employee!"

Current Employee - Post Master in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Post Master in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

Pros

There are many opportunities available when you work for Canada Post. There are also alot of opportunties for transfers to other locations. Canada post also has funding available for any child of an employee who is attending college. Excellent pension one of the best in Canada and that is alot off your mind. Pretty good benefits,it sure does help to have benefits when you have kids and they need to see the dentist makes it alot more affordable as Canada post covers 80 % of the cost. Also have coverage for eyes and many other services. 3 weeks vacation right off the start

Cons

I think it would be great if we could get some compassion days when we need time to look after our children or parents. I really can't think of many negative things to say about my job. I am greatful for my job and would not trade working for Canada Post for any other job that I can think of. Perhaps they could make the districts a little smaller so our Local area managers could be more involved in the work that we do. In the last two years that our manager has been in his present job I have only seen him once and he is very difficult to reach as he is overly busy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job Moya

"Canada Post leads the way to a Modern Post"

Current Employee - Occupational Abilities Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Occupational Abilities Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

The organisation offers plenty of opportunities for training and advancement. It is presently going through a huge wave of retirements and if you have the qualifications, are self-motivated and have interesting ideas, you will be able to move up the ranks at Canada Post. Being in the Ottawa area is also a definite advantage as there are 3000 jobs at head office and another 2000 in the field.

Cons

The "old school" culture which is still present amongst some employees is certainly counterproductive and somewhat diminishes the overall chances of succeeding in the new "postal" age. There is quite a bit of negativity and cynicism amongst the rank and file employees and even some lower to middle management personnel. People need to realise that the company's survival actually hinges on getting employees to buy on to the "Modern Post" philosophy and they need to focus on making this happen.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with your front line employees.

5. "This is an excellent company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone!"

Current Employee - Retail Postal Clerk in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Postal Clerk in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Employees are treated with respect and are kept in the loop when it comes to the "big picture" within the company.

Cons

Inflexible work schedule - it would be nice to have some kind of flex time when it comes to keeping appointments during the work week.

Advice to Management

Since Canada Post is trying hard to make sure that they have employee engagement, they might want to take a look at the way they are trying to cut hours in post offices while racking up overtime in the plant.

6. "Not so bad at Canada Post"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)

Pros

Becuse it is such a large corporatoin, there are opporunities for developement in many areas. I have taken courses, paid by Canada Post to improve my skills and abilities. I have had the opportunity over the years to participate in several developmental assignments and work with many organizational and quality improvement teams. With the present contract there is also job security, and a great benefits plan. There are unions and associations that work to protect employees, and health and safety is a primary concern to the corporation. As long as we maintain our profitablitlty, we are looking good into the future.

Cons

The computers cannot function with the programs that need to be run, and therefore, it is difficult to get your work done, in the scheduled time frame. It is painful to complete this form as the computers run so slowly. There are times when postions go to less qualified but better postioned individuals based on personal factors, but that happens everywhere. As for letter carrier work, the job is physically taxing, and more difficult than it appears. Customers who call seem to be unaware that as a corporation, we contribute to the government coffers each year, and do not drain the taxpayers.

Advice to Management

Update our systems. Listen to the front line workers.

7. "Canada Post is a top 100 employer"

Current Employee - Senior Executive in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

Excellent training and development for management and executives. Very solid benefits and pension. Great professional colleagues and high degrees of collaboration.

Cons

Tough unions to deal with. Large and complex, getting approvals for initiatives is sometimes a quite lengthy process.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Letter Carrier
    Current Employee - Letter Carrier

Pros

Pension, freedom, vacation, benefit package

Cons

bargaining unit issues, inflexibility, aging tiechnology, financial losses

Advice to Management

Improve collective agreements

9. "Great"

Current Employee - Retail Postal Clerketter Carrier
    Current Employee - Retail Postal Clerketter Carrier

Pros

Great Pay, Benefits, Get to be outdoor

Cons

Physically demanding
    Work in all types of weather conditions

10. "perfect"

Current Employee - Dz Driver in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Dz Driver in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

better pay than other courier company

Cons

it takes longer to be permanent

11. "a lot of changes"

Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Letter Carrier in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

work outside, manage your work day

Cons

weather wise not always easy