Canada Post Reviews | Glassdoor

Canada Post Reviews

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They not just offer good pay but many job advancement opportunities (in 34 reviews)

• Fairly easy work and good benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Takes years before one can move from temp on call to part time/ full time (in 33 reviews)

• Tiring by doing 2-3 jobs to meet expenses since only part time job is available which comes in hands after few years being as call-casual (in 15 reviews)

"Ok company is ok job"

I have been working at Canada Post full-time

Pros

People are super duper nice

Cons

It was a bit too long

2. "Canada Post Letter Carrier"

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, salary and in most cases job security

Cons

Due to drop in mail volumes the company is forcing employees to do more work and not exceed the 8 hour daily shift.

Advice to Management

Supervisors , Superintendents and Managers need to support their working more.
    No consideration is give to volume of mail and parcels, they want it done in 8 hours or employees will be interviewed and in some cases disciplined.

"Retail Clerk - Doing All The Work For None of The Pay"

Current Employee - Post Office Retail Clerk
    Current Employee - Post Office Retail Clerk

I have been working at Canada Post part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager is incredibly nice and understanding, training went on until I felt comfortable to be left alone, hours are flexible (but only because my coworkers are so great and willing to switch shifts), You learn a lot about how Canada Post works.

Cons

Retail postal clerks are contracted out to the stores they work in, so Canada Post doesn't pay you, Shoppers/Lawtons/etc does. So even though you're doing a highly skilled and often stressful job you get paid only minimum wage. The Manager is the only full time employee as well and everyone else just works part time under them, so unless your manager leaves there is no opportunity for advancement.
    VERY often, people come in with packages missing, or delivered to the wrong address, or theyve got a slip for a package but it hasn't been brought in yet, because the delivery people are in the union so they don't seem to care about doing their jobs properly a lot of the time, and then you get to be screamed at for their mistakes. People also like to get very upset at the cost of a stamp, even though they'll be holding their expensive starbucks coffee at the same time.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers what they deserve and maybe they would stick around. 10.50 an hour to get yelled at when I have to know how to manage carded items, deliver items, do money grams, customer proofing, money orders, track packages, know how to send xpress, priority, regular and what customs needs/how long it will take, how to send registered mail, sell and renew PO boxes, calculate lettermail rates, find old receipts, do End Of Day and the other paperwork, FINTRAC, etc, why should I be paid minimum wage to do a job that requires twice as much training and the onus on you to make sure that the mail gets where its going? This is a super complicated job, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who expected a fair wage. Wait table instead, and at least you will get tips.

4. "Not good if you don't belong to Union !!"

Current Employee - Maintenance Superintendent in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Superintendent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security because Canada Post has unique infrastructure that can serve coutry coast to coast.

Cons

If you don't belong to Union, forget about raise. End of the year, company doesn't make much profit to pay healthy bonus or rewards. Management employees work under a lot of pressure and don't enjoy benefits as Unionised employees do.

5. "Letter Carrier"

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

independent, dont have someone over your shoulder

Cons

its harder than most people think

Advice to Management

................................

"Human Resources"

I have been working at Canada Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the public image, Canada Post is a company with an innovative vision; however it's processes are not as innovative. Good benefits. Ample training opportunities.

Cons

Difficult to obtain promotions. Very Hierarchical. Strenuous processes which take forever to get to the end result. Collective agreements make many projects much more difficult than they need to be.

Advice to Management

Encourage more collaboration between functions.

"Working at Canada Post as an RSMC is the worst job I've ever had."

Current Employee - On-call RSMC
    Current Employee - On-call RSMC

I have been working at Canada Post part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about Canada Post is your co-workers. They were always super helpful and always there to lend a hand.

Cons

Even though supervisors were easy going it seemed useless to approach them about any concerns you had. Some were even making racial and demeaning jokes. One supervisor in particular seemed incompetent.
    Being an RSMC at Canada Post is a joke. Save your time and find another job. The day you review your pay statement will be the day you realize you have been killing yourself for less than minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Tell all future on-call RSMC's the truth about the pay structure.
    Also let them know that they will be doing double the work of a letter carrier and receive a lot less $.

8. "Officer"

Former Employee - Officer in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Officer in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent education
    Excellent employments history
    Fluent in both English and Arabic languages

Cons

working in street when it is necessary under all sever weather condition

Advice to Management

Excellent personality

"Great job before the pay cuts"

Current Employee - Postal Clerk in Saint-Laurent, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Postal Clerk in Saint-Laurent, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Post part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Union is very strong

Cons

Hard to become full time employee

"Mail Carrier"

Former Employee - Mail Service Courier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Mail Service Courier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canada Post full-time

Pros

The money was okay I guess.

Cons

The training could have been less stringent. I thought it intentionally discriminated against for age unnecessarily.

Advice to Management

Your qualifications are too strict considering the amount of advertising you need delivered. It is more important to hire more people if you want that number high. And I felt discriminated against for age when people before me didn't have to go through such rigorous testing-only a few years prior. I re applied but wasn't considered when I already went through training before, should have been reconsidered.