Canadian National Railway Reviews | Glassdoor

Canadian National Railway President and Chief Executive Officer Luc Jobin
Luc Jobin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no work/life balance on the railroad (in 18 reviews)

• if you are a contracted employee, hard to get in with no benefits but all the long hours (in 21 reviews)

1. "Mechanic"

Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are many great opportunities working with cn railroad. The pay is good as well as holding a union job. The benifets are good as well as the people who operate and work there.

Cons

Hard work but I like it that way..i like to keep busy and make money doing it

Advice to Management

If you choose me to work here as a mechanic, I won't dissapoint.im hard working and a even faster learner. I work well with others and I'd be proud to join the team.

2. "Miserable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salaries
    Pension
    Retirement
    Stock options
    Educational assistance

Cons

Nepotism is how most people are promoted.
    Qualified employees are not given opportunity to grow in company.
    Poor training practices at company.
    Diversity in workforce not valued or practiced in this organization.

Advice to Management

Clean out organization; figure out why qualified minority employees in U.S. are being rejected for jobs they are qualified to do. Find out why unqualified employees are constantly being promoted to jobs they are not qualified for or have any experience in.
    Answer how executives are allowed to have their children work for them.

3. "Carman"

Current Employee - Carman in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Carman in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and easy work. Have the chance to put in plenty of overtime to make some big bucks. Great stock options.

Cons

Management is horrible. Will take multiple years before ever seeing decent rest days or even 1st shift. Could be run a little different.

Advice to Management

Know the jobs at which you manage or just shut up.

4. "Good Job"

Pros

The pay is good good benifits

Cons

Long hours with little time off

"Challenging job that can greatly enhance your experience as an electrician but with little help from CN"

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Gary, IN

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning the many different facets of electrical issues on the many different locomotives in the fleet.
    The various systems on a locomotive will enhance your electrical experience

Cons

Very little training and an employer who will fire you whether you deserve it or not despite all the past work you have done

Advice to Management

Train your employees and stop trying to make them scapegoats when something goes wrong

"If it sounds to good to be true........."

Former Employee - Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Canadian National Railway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highest paid Railroad in the country (but you will be paying that back by never seeing your family)

Cons

I came from another railroad so I had experience and heard how amazing The CN was. Well it was too good to be true......The management has no integrity in the Chicago area. The contract was written for a reason but they throw that out and make side deals with employees they like. Two years ago a young man was killed, the accident wasn't seen so everyone speculates on what happened. Here's what happened the men I worked with believe their Union protection also protects them from putting their lives in danger. I saw daily men breaking safety rules that had me cringing. Half the time they would look at me and say it's ok for me to do this I'm in the union. The union can not stop that car from crushing you. The union can not stop that ethanol car from blowing up because you thought you could break the rules. The training is basic like kindergarten, the OJT is high school..they have no transition. No way to keep track if the trainee's are actually learning or confused unless one begs for information the company/co workers won't give you any. If you hire on here kiss managements butt and watch everything you do with your co workers. We were told in school the IC ( Illinois Central) employees were the most blood thirsty employed here. They will do anything to make an extra $20.

Advice to Management

Actually hire people from the craft whether it be from your railroad or another. If you keep promoting people from other departments in management for different departments they still have no idea how the new department works. If you sign a contract then make your managers honor said contract and quit making side deals. Also when that young man died it was tragic, be prepared for more accidents and deaths. The mentality of the workers is not on safety, it's on cutting corners, breaking rules and believing the union will protect them. Unless The CN truly changes its mindset then the employees will carry their mindset as well and tragedies will still happen.

7. "Manager"

I worked at Canadian National Railway full-time

Pros

This company was my career for 13 years and I loved every minute of working for this company. The benefits and bonuses on top of salary are awesome. Very loyal to their employees.

Cons

Really no cons, other than sometimes the work hours. But as with all Railroad jobs, they aren't usually 9-5.

"Production foreman"

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time

Pros

Hourly and travel is nice

Cons

Drama have to deal with too many chiefs

Advice to Management

Eliminate the bad from the gangs

9. "Stable job, but demanding"

Current Employee - Assistant Track Supervisor in Homewood, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Track Supervisor in Homewood, IL

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, 401k match, health insurance, good mixture of field and office work. Opportunity to move up if willing to travel.

Cons

Demanding hours, lack of communication, becomes redundant with some of the directives. A lot of hoops necessary to jump through

Advice to Management

Better compensation to management. They shouldn't be making less than their union workers with less hassle

"Contract Employe"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

if you are a CN employee full benefits