Canadian National Railway Reviews | Glassdoor

Canadian National Railway President and Chief Executive Officer Luc Jobin
Luc Jobin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Shift work is brutal, no work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• if you are a contracted employee, hard to get in with no benefits but all the long hours (in 19 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I worked at Canadian National Railway full-time

Pros

This company was my career for 13 years and I loved every minute of working for this company. The benefits and bonuses on top of salary are awesome. Very loyal to their employees.

Cons

Really no cons, other than sometimes the work hours. But as with all Railroad jobs, they aren't usually 9-5.

"If it sounds to good to be true........."

Former Employee - Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Canadian National Railway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highest paid Railroad in the country (but you will be paying that back by never seeing your family)

Cons

I came from another railroad so I had experience and heard how amazing The CN was. Well it was too good to be true......The management has no integrity in the Chicago area. The contract was written for a reason but they throw that out and make side deals with employees they like. Two years ago a young man was killed, the accident wasn't seen so everyone speculates on what happened. Here's what happened the men I worked with believe their Union protection also protects them from putting their lives in danger. I saw daily men breaking safety rules that had me cringing. Half the time they would look at me and say it's ok for me to do this I'm in the union. The union can not stop that car from crushing you. The union can not stop that ethanol car from blowing up because you thought you could break the rules. The training is basic like kindergarten, the OJT is high school..they have no transition. No way to keep track if the trainee's are actually learning or confused unless one begs for information the company/co workers won't give you any. If you hire on here kiss managements butt and watch everything you do with your co workers. We were told in school the IC ( Illinois Central) employees were the most blood thirsty employed here. They will do anything to make an extra $20.

Advice to Management

Actually hire people from the craft whether it be from your railroad or another. If you keep promoting people from other departments in management for different departments they still have no idea how the new department works. If you sign a contract then make your managers honor said contract and quit making side deals. Also when that young man died it was tragic, be prepared for more accidents and deaths. The mentality of the workers is not on safety, it's on cutting corners, breaking rules and believing the union will protect them. Unless The CN truly changes its mindset then the employees will carry their mindset as well and tragedies will still happen.

"Production foreman"

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time

Pros

Hourly and travel is nice

Cons

Drama have to deal with too many chiefs

Advice to Management

Eliminate the bad from the gangs

4. "Stable job, but demanding"

Current Employee - Assistant Track Supervisor in Homewood, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Track Supervisor in Homewood, IL

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, 401k match, health insurance, good mixture of field and office work. Opportunity to move up if willing to travel.

Cons

Demanding hours, lack of communication, becomes redundant with some of the directives. A lot of hoops necessary to jump through

Advice to Management

Better compensation to management. They shouldn't be making less than their union workers with less hassle

"Contract Employe"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

if you are a CN employee full benefits

Cons

"Decent, Financially Strong Company and Great Pay"

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you do your job, the managers will leave you alone. The pay is out of this world. I hold regular road assignments with 6 days on and 3 days off. We bid jobs every 4 months. I am able to plan my year out pretty well. Vacation and health benefits are great too.

Cons

The hours are long, and poor managerial decisions delay trains repeatedly. Great for us at time and one half, but not so good for the customers. Suggestions given to management (something I won't do anymore) is never considered, and often frowned upon. They dig their own holes and quickly fall right into them. Typical class 1 railroad as far as testing and rules compliance. No big deal as long as you do your job well. The railroad isn't for everyone, and if your heart isn't in it, don't do it!

Advice to Management

Promote train masters and RTC's from the ranks. Bringing in people that don't even know railroad lingo is bad enough, but people that have never railroaded before is terrible, and destructive to the company as a whole.

7. "Freight Conductor"

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Champaign, IL

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits. Ability to do most work the way you want to do it. Most employees are easy to get along with and professional.

Cons

Long hours, unpredictable schedule, irregular shifts. No regular schedule jobs to look forward to as your seniority progresses. Attendance policy is not great either.

Advice to Management

None really, to be honest that is the culture of the railroad industry. Employees in transportation work odd hours and are away from home quite often - thats just the nature of the business.

8. "A decent company with best wages in the industry."

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With CN you get weekly assigned days off. The pay at CN is the best of all class I railroads.

Cons

As with all railroads, the FRA has their hands all over the place. Makes it hard to do your job without criticism.

9. "Rail Track Maintainer"

Current Employee - Rail Track Maintainer in Brookhaven, MS
    Current Employee - Rail Track Maintainer in Brookhaven, MS

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time

Pros

The company is great to its employees

Cons

Don't apply if you don't like being away from home

Advice to Management

Everything seems to be working harmoniously

10. "Trackman"

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time

Pros

Benefits are only good thing

Cons

Supervisors make this job unbearable

Advice to Management

Do as you say when it comes to safety