Canadian Solar Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Canadian Solar President and CEO Shawn X. Qu
Shawn X. Qu

Pros
  • No heavy lifting, friendly work environment (in 5 reviews)

• Great people with diverse background (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They pay minimum wage, standing in same spot on factory line for 12 hours everyday all day is very painfu and boringl (in 3 reviews)

• Poor communication with employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Office Staff"

I worked at Canadian Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good Teammates
    Free Coffee
    Training for certain things provided
    Interesting and challenging projects
    Professional HR department
    Networking opportunities

Cons

Poor management
    Doesn't recognize or reward good employees
    Growth and advancement only to those of Chinese background
    Management talks poorly about employees
    Even though a large company, is ran like a family business
    Poor communication between departments

Advice to Management

Reward and recognize good employees, stop hiring and promoting the wrong people, improve company communications. invest in employees, and there could be company social events.

2. "Disappointing Changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Canadian Solar full-time

Pros

Reasonable compensation
    They are starting to focus on employee ergonomics
    Some wonderful people work there

Cons

Chinese company = Factory worker thinking
    All decisions made in China, US office is just a re-seller with no decision power, even when the decisions coming out of China are ridiculous.
    Some managers do no understand the industry, and are not capable of properly evaluating potential partner technology.
    Poor work distribution leads to a lot of busy work and little meaningful work.
    Non existent work life balance: Middle management discusses work life balance, but the work load and timing do not allow it. Once again, since it is a Chinese company, a lot of meetings, discussions and decisions happen in China time (starting at 4-5pm PST). This leads to a full day of work + extra hours expected for discussions with the team in China.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate current middle management. Go through one by one if necessary to assess whether or not they actually understand the industry and the upcoming technologies being released.
    Hire a China/US liaison, with enough clout in China to actually make a difference.

3. "Good for summer job"

I worked at Canadian Solar full-time

Pros

Easy job for students that are looking for summer work.
    Great co-workers
    Decent pay for students

Cons

Working on continental shifts (12 hours) can be tiresome
    Repetitive and boring for a typical factory job
    Only one manager overlooking the whole factory

5. "It was alright, as an intern"

Pros

The accounting department at Canadian Solar is fairly small. It is easy to build relationships with your colleagues. Coworkers are pretty easygoing in general.

Cons

As an intern, you may not be provided with enough training, and some of the tasks are kind of trivial and repetitive.

6. "No recognition for hard work or knowledge"

Former Employee - Production Worker Minion in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Production Worker Minion in London, ON (Canada)

Pros

Excellent benifits decent salary
    Great coworkers good location
    Green energy

Cons

Very poorly managed
    Advancement only for those of Chinese background
    Poor communication with employees
    No future

Advice to Management

Treat workers like individuals not a number
    Base advancement on skill and knowledge not ethnic background
    Be upfront with employees

7. "Far from perfect, but we could be."

Current Employee - Office Employee in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Office Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Rewarding work, plenty to learn if you have initiative
    - You're working in Green Energy.
    - Great benefits package
    - Fellow employees are very friendly, any disputes tend to end amicably.
    - HR is very frank and up front

Cons

- Several personalities in office staff who are either incapable of or unwilling to do their jobs, leading to constant errors that have to be cleaned up afterwards.
    - Pay is significantly below standard for the work being done (5k -10k per year less than equivalent positions in London)
    - Key individuals in Guelph are often unavailable or slow to respond when you need their help
    - Generally disorganized, everyone is scrambling all the time to rush out the next order, cutting corners to meet deadlines. Then we reach the end of an order and 'oh crap', we don't have another lined up so there are layoffs.
    - Future of the company is very uncertain; no place to raise a family.
    - Atmosphere has been very doom and gloom recently.
    - Staffing is stretched so tight now that taking any time off will cause a mess

Advice to Management

We could be so much better than we are. We need to plan ahead, not be revising the BOM right up until the final station we ship out the door. We need a proper order book in place, not a scramble as the last project ends to find more work.

There are employees on the 'office side' doing precious little while collecting a paycheck. One of them starts dancing when he hears the words 'layoff'. That's a bad influence on others, and should be dealt with; if I'd pulled that sort of stunt in previous jobs, I'd have been shown the door.

Management has that meeting room tied up 4-6 hours a day while people sit in there and waste time. We could seriously do with less of them, there's plenty of work to be done and sitting around a table while half the people inveited don't even need to be there is a waste of resources.

Also, we can all see in the HR announcements that the only people being appointed to upper management are Asian. Like in a family owned business, good talent gets tired of being passed over for promotion and then ending up with an incompetent manager who just happens to be family/the right race/creed/gender, etc. The good talent then leaves, and the people appointed to that position without the chops to get it done are then scrambling to figure out how to do the job.

This is not what I'd call rocket science, but it's scary how ambivalent management is to the mess these issues cause.

8. "Energy Group"

Pros

Competitive pay, very international working environment

Cons

The project business is rather new, there is no proper processes in the company. Also there is no company culture observed here.

9. "Hard work. A good thing overall."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Canadian Solar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team. Good people. Room for advancement. Work hard and you can make a difference.

Cons

If you complain a lot or don't like hard work don't come here. Lots of work. Can be hard to keep up with. You will not have 40 hr weeks here. Don't be a whiner or complainer.

Advice to Management

Hire more capable individuals quickly to keep up with the workflow. Being pushed beyond 60 hrs a week really burns people out. Even the great go getters.

10. "Good place to learn"

Pros

Canadian Solar provides a casual work environment and mostly friendly and diverse team. Hours are flexible and usually no overtime is required. A good place to learn and a good co-op experience but job becomes boring after a while and you'll want to move on.

Cons

Bad management. Managers have no obligation to align the needs of the company and the wants of the employees. Bad planning and decisions made by management is often questionable. Corporate restructuring is common and employee loyalty is non existent. People are always late for meetings.

Advice to Management

Some transparency towards your employees would be nice. Be truthful and upfront about big business decisions and company changes.

11. "An honest perspective from someone that believes in the mission..."

Current Employee - People Operations in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - People Operations in San Ramon, CA

Pros

- Amazing team members that pull together to accomplish a common goal...we no longer have challenges with team members that simply say, "...that's not my job..." but instead, work with each other to figure out solutions
    - Improvements are continuously being made around the structure and overall culture, including the development of our management team to successfully set them up to support and guide the team members they lead, and employee morale
    - Tremendous success and accomplishments made by the overall team, providing a feeling of satisfaction in the work I do

Cons

- With any successful organization or business unit, some structures around processes and systems are not as sophisticated or developed; however, there are initiatives in place with the right people to lead them, making a change
    - Had the feeling of not being appreciated; however, this has changed in the past 2 months with new leadership in place and efforts being put forth to implement the changes
    - At certain times of the year, we pull very long hours and are pushed to capacity, but that comes with success and at the end of the day, we are rewarded for our hard work

Advice to Management

Continue keeping the lines of communication open and reminding us that what we do does Make A Difference... keep an open mind and open ear to what our team members are saying as we truly are one of the most valuable assets an organization has