Canadian Tire Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Stephen Wetmore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult work life balance; demanding work; numerous daily challenges the can conflict with on another, not in an overwhelming way (in 14 reviews)

• Minimum wage - very little opportunity for a raise (in 27 reviews)

1. "Disorganised and terrible management and coworkers."

Pros

They hire just about anyone. If you need a job quickly than fill out a form and start that afternoon. The staff room is spacious.

Cons

The management take advantage of you. If you show up on time you can trust they will always only give you the worst shifts. Closing shifts. Management keeps you there past your shift if you're closings, so don't count on ever making post-work plans.

If you want a raise you have to "qualify" by completing E-learning but only on your own time and without compensation.

There are different standards if uniform. If you are like everyone else that means black dress pants with your red shirt tucked in. If you are friends with a manager it means yoga pants and shirt untucked. But it doesn't matter anyways because they spend most of their shift in the break room or smoking outside.

They schedule as few people as possible so if you have to use the bathroom you better run. 13 people will stop you along the way for assistance.

Advice to Management

Get a real job.

2. "Very disappointed, Disgusted."

Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Ontario, CA

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not to many hours, can balance work/home. Some employes are nice.

Cons

Low pay, VERY unorganized, barely any training. Taught myself pretty much everything. Warehouse is so messy and un safe it's ridiculous. It's not a safe working condition at all and at any time a heavy box can fall from the top shelf and hurt someone. No safety is taught or encouraged by the staff or managers. Workload is too heavy for warehouse employees. Never got my breaks until so much later in my shift and sometimes never got them at all. I highly recommend that you do NOT apply at Canadian tire for the Managers are terrible and they need to change the way things are before someone goes back into the warehouse and gets severely hurt.

Advice to Management

Train your employees, encourage safety and keep the warehouse clean.

3. "Canadian Tire Call Center - Awful place to work"

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive about working at this part of Canadian Tires Business

Cons

Terrible hours (10 hr days), Impossible to take a two minute breather because there is someone hammering on you to take the next call. Worse, No training and the expectation is that you should know everything from your first day. The FEW good people there that take the time to mentor new hires barely have time to provide explanations, and there is no opportunity for to new hire to digest the information provided (make notes! like we all have photographic memories). You get a move on to the next call or else someone will be yelling "there are x number of calls in the queue".
    It is a cut throat environment. Performance is measured by the number of incidents closed so the easy tickets are frequently stolen from co-workers and the difficult one are left back waiting for when the person returns.
    Good Grief! What have I got myself into!

Advice to Management

You need to treat your staff with more respect. This is 2017, the days of the sweatshop should be long gone. Give your call center staff respect and training, and the good people will remain on staff to provide excellent support to the stores.

Under the current working conditions, it no surprise that turnover

4. "Would prefer to forget working here"

I worked at Canadian Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were only good thing about working here. Can't add anything else to the positives of working here. Nothing else.

Cons

Management, owner, company rules that demean employees, long shifts standing at till without a chair, bathroom only if someone can replace you, endless cleanups every night, teenagers hired to supervise experienced staff.

Advice to Management

Stop the promotion of useless products at the till that you punish your own staff for if they neglect to mention it. You're using your customers to punish your staff. It's despicable. Start promoting experienced staff rather than cheap labour teenagers to supervisor positions.

5. "They literally hire anyone who's a functioning human"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing you just get paid
    It's easy to get hired, they will literally hire anyone. Their recruiting process is a huge joke.

Cons

Rude customers, had one teenage boy and his mother swear at me, I never felt so angry in my life.
    Too many aisles to memorize
    Have to face everything in your department
    Manager was annoying
    Lack of RF guns and scanners
    Just please don't work here unless you got no choice or its your first job
    THEY DONT pay you extra money for closing their store, you stay 30 mins more than your actual shift

Advice to Management

Pay us overtime for closing

6. "Terrible place"

Pros

Good location, that's about it

Cons

Abusive management, bad coworkers, poor pay.

7. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice branch owner
    - Fairly easy job

Cons

- only 10% discount
    - My manager was so mean to me because I could speak Filipino. I still have her texts that show how unprofessional she is. She does not know the line between being professional and personal. Tells me I'm unfair for getting a second job and that I should make CT my priority. Also said why am I working if I have health issues (I'm anemic)
    - Management scolds employees in public, letting the customers see
    - bad management encourages employees to bully new recruits
    - won't let you choose your own sched

Advice to Management

Please stop being too ignorant and bossy. Consider how your employers feel and be more professional.

8. "Department Manager"

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are great to deal with for the most part

Cons

dealer owned, no real structure, lack of compassion for employees, very long hours and pay not great.

Advice to Management

would not recommend, not really management more glorified stocking, merchandising and sales associate

9. "Not worth working for"

Current Employee - Parts/Automotive in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Parts/Automotive in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some Great customer, others not so much. Great parts management but not anywhere else in the store.

Cons

Some mangers are rude and want everyone to do everything that they do not want to, management lacks training and ways to fix a problem wither it be within the staff or dealing with an angry customer that swears at the employees.

Advice to Management

Look at both sides of the story before going straight after the employee after a complaint, and do not have a meeting with the employee without the owner or another person that the employee wants in the room for his/hers protection.

10. "PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

other cashiers I worked with were super nice people and awesome to be around and my direct supervisor was amazing and super flexible with hours

Cons

the new managers they brought in were all awful people. they were rude and never wanted to do their jobs. You would call them for authorization to over ride a price or ask for a discount on something a customer wanted and when they picked up the phone they would sigh and give you attitude the whole time. if a customer asked you for a manage by name and you called them and told them they would say ugh regarding, like it wasn't their jobs to help customers especially when requested by name. they would also tell you to inform customers on our policies and when we did and got yelled at by customers the managers would just let them disrespect and scream at us and then at the end the managers would just let the customer get their way and make it look like we didn't know what we were talking about or how our policies worked. over all the management was HORRIBLE and the managers were incredibly rude to the majority of the staff and especially the cashiers. you will also NEVER see a raise or promotion. I also worked full time for over a year and was never considered a full time worker and never saw the benefits other full time workers were given. if you worked 7 or more days in a row 8 hour plus days you were still not given over time pay as well.

Advice to Management

be nicer to your staff and have mutual respect for others and maybe your employees would not quit so quickly and put more effort into their jobs.