Candlewick Press Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Unpaid Intern"

Former Employee - Internship in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Internship in Somerville, MA

Pros

Learned a lot and was challenged everyday

Cons

Was confined to one area of expertise

Advice to Management

Have interns collaborate more with other groups or other interns. Build in more check-in meetings

2. "Great opportunity, bad results"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Candlewick Press as an intern

Pros

The best part about Candlewick Press are the incredible books they produce. They are very clearly the best in the business, especially in terms of illustration. Everyone there is very focused on doing their job accurately and thoroughly. As an intern in the Design department, I learned a lot about the process of book publication and design. The employees were kind and gracious and always willing to help when I was very clearly struggling.

Cons

My supervisor was very young and inexperienced in managing others. Consistently losing patience with me and my inexperience, I grew very insecure and blamed myself for a lot of issues that really came down to a lack of guidance. Additionally, I was never given the opportunity to expand on what I was learning beyond my day to day duties. Other interns in other derpartments seemed to be getting more encouragement and training. As others have noted, there is very little return for the time and work given by interns. The power dynamics between employees with different personalities types (introverts vs extrovert) was very apparent to me and seemed unequal.

Advice to Management

Be more sensitive to the people with smaller roles in the business. They are just as important. Perhaps have your interns go through a better training process.

"amazing!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Candlewick Press as an intern

Pros

Everyone at Candlewick is super friendly and helpful. Everyone is willing to help each other out no matter what their job is.

Cons

It is hard to find parking in this area but it is easily accessible by public transportation as it is steps away from the Davis Square T-stop.

Advice to Management

I love how much you care about your employees and have made this experience so rewarding and educational for me.

4. "Marketing & Publicity"

I worked at Candlewick Press full-time

Pros

Candlewick makes some of the highest-quality children's books in the world today.

Cons

Not enough staff in the department. Very low compensation.

"Good people, always busy..."

I have been working at Candlewick Press full-time

Pros

If you're in a good department, the people are awesome. Some people work really hard and some people don't. You'll find a lot of people have been working at Candlewick for a very long time (over 10 yrs), so they're doing something right.

Cons

Candlewick is quite small and as people stick around in the company for a long time, there aren't many opportunities for promotion.

"Great Company with Talented Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

Pros

The people are amazing and everyone is very talented; the benefits are very generous; along with the success of Candlewick being known as a children's top publisher, many employees have been here for a very long time. The company is independent --100% employee owned. Everyone is passionate about creating incredibly beautiful, high quality books for children. Staff genuinely care about the company as a whole.

Cons

Being a smaller company means things can't always happen as quickly as some woule like it to but eventually the important things for our success do get done -and much more effectively and with much more thought as a result it seems.

Advice to Management

Whenever possible, make time for individualized meetings with employees and offering regular feedback. Everyone is so focused and time flies by.

"Not very good for interns"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Candlewick Press produces beautiful children's books, including literature, to very high standards. They are a beacon of light in the swirling mist of ebooks, web publishing, and ever lowering standards. Their books provide pleasure that a virtual book never could, and they go a long way to encouraging children young and old to love books. The offices are nice, and so are the people. There is a great work/life balance. Employees get a discount on Random House books as well as Candlewick titles. I was an intern so I'm not sure of the benefits. However, people seem to stay there for quite a long time so they're probably OK. From what I could tell as an intern, the politics didn't seem too bad, compared with some places.

Cons

My internship didn't teach me anything. People don't talk to you, only to give you work. But the main problem was that I didn't learn anything. I didn't do any useful work, and I volunteered to do more but it didn't help. There was no variety of tasks, always the same one or two things. And people didn't talk to you, so you couldn't really learn anything. Given that they won't even pay travel, I think an internship at Candlewick Press is kind of a bad deal. The only thing you get out of it is to put Candlewick Press on your resume. Also I would learn that some author was coming in, an award had been won, or there was a party going on in the office, but I hadn't been told about it. No one tells you anything or talks to you, never invites you to lunch and you certainly feel like a spare part. Which you are, as an intern, but given the lack of any money at all even travel, and the total lack of exposure to any publishing knowledge, they could at least have included interns in events that were going on in the office. I don't think interns are ever hired, at least I never heard of that with Candlewick Press. They also seem to have a lot of interns. I think Candlewick Press takes advantage: they have a whole bunch of interns which together must be doing a lot of work for them, and they give nothing back in return. Other publishing houses pay travel and/or lunch, take interns to see printing presses, assign them mentors, sometimes hire former interns, and more. This offsets the whole working for no pay thing, but there's nothing to offset it here.

Advice to Management

Treat interns better. Also other children's publishers are doing lots of web-based stuff. Gotta move with the times!

8. "Sounds better than it is"

Pros

Great location, benefits, lots of talented people

Cons

The management always considers hiring from the outside to be better than the people right under their noses. For this and other reasons, there aren't a lot of growth opportunities and the top tier managers aren't interested in developing their employees because they are too busy enjoying their elevated status. And unfortunately, there are some weak links at the top. It's a demoralizing place that should lighten up and allow employees to contribute to the success of the company.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees: not superficially but TRULY appreciate them, listen to them, think about their growth and show them some respect.