Canton-Potsdam Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

David Acker

"Hecktick, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Lower Management in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Lower Management in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, a lot of smiling faces, successful company. Tools and systems are well kept and maintained. Management is actually trying to be better every year. Supporting community needs and helping people.

Cons

Too often we see decisions made with not enough planning, and many changes appear to be done hastily with unnecessary urgency. Very high tempo, which sometimes does not leave enough room for excellence.

Advice to Management

Better planning. PM office.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financial stability. Pay is okay for the area.

Cons

There's this common theme in the nursing profession, and if dates far back into history. Nurses have always been expected to go above and beyond for their employers. In fact, to be viewed as a "medium performer" you have to do things that aren't listed in your job description. CPH continues this tradition of treating nurses poorly. Everything they do just screams, "be thankful you have a job." This seeps down from management, to the nurses. Management truly doesn't keep the patients in mind. I have seen the laziest nurses be given awards. Literally an award given to nurses who lack technical abilities, are lazy, and eat the newer nurses. There a lot of talk about, "these young nurses don't have a good work ethic." The people saying these things constantly leave work to be done, leave meds for the next shift, and don't chart properly. Then they earn an award. Ther is something to be said for being in the nursing profession for 30 years. However, that shouldn't mean that you don't have to do the same amount of work as someone who's been doing it for 10 or fewer years. The allowable level of backbiting is amazing. For example - people have been reprimanded for Posting on Facebook, "Busy night at work. Why doesn't management realize we need more staff!" Mind you these posts were done not during the work shift. What right does management have to do this? When I left they wanted to do an exit interview. It was a total sham because the only question asked was, "Why are you leaving?" It was because I was moving. When I tried to elaborate the person conducting the exit interview said, "thanks that's enough." They didn't listen to me say I was moving because I didn't want to work at CPH any more. The North Country has limited employment opportunities and the thought of being stuck at CPH for life drove me out of the area. In the past 5-6 years all of the good staff has scattered.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they're lucky to be there. Recognize that you are lucky to have them. Mimic what other places with low turnover do. Appreciate all of your staff. Not just the people you like.

3. "Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Expanding, supportive, opportunities for growth

Cons

No cons other than location

"Poor management that doesn't care for its staff."

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hospital is financially stable (for now). Good outpatient facilities.

Cons

Senior Leadership is not capable of sustaining the hospital needs especially considering the rate at which they are trying to grow. Leaders do not have the ability to care for staff. Leadership does not properly engage staff and is not responsive to the needs of the staff. They do not listen and push staff to the limits in every department in the facility. This is predominantly because proper leadership is not recruited instead any warm body can take a chair and become a VP or supervisor of something. The hospital is expanding far too fast for the current leadership to manage. All leaders blame the stress and tension staff feel on the evolution of healthcare. This is nothing more than an attempt to deflect their own shortcomings and pass the blame. Collapse is inevitable. The IT department at CPH is the best example. Leadership in IT is deceitful and has zero concern for its staff. Half the IT staff has left in the past 2 months.

Advice to Management

Stop, listen, and regroup! First rule of business is to keep your staff happy. The poor management from the ground up to the senior VPs is impacting the hospital negatively. Attitudes of the staff reflect the horrible working enviroment that management is solely responsible for. Instead of doing surveys to see how CPH can improve and then asking the employees to come up with action plans why not try to look at yourselves. Everyone of those surveys indicated that the hospital's management and VPs are not trusted by staff. Wake up!!

"Inexperienced VP Level Staff"

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outside of IT, many of the director level leaders are good to work for and are experienced in their field. The employees are very friendly and the best people to work with.

Cons

The VP level managers are dysfunctional and cannot work together to save their lives. The CIO In particular is insecure, oppressive to his staff and takes credit for his people's work. Don't excel at your profession. You will be shut down!

Advice to Management

There is more to establishing long term success than an inexperienced vp with a degree. Experience is what makes revenue and allows long term sustainable growth.

"RN"

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Responsive administration. Forward thinking. Worked at addressing patient issues the best way they could given the financial issues that they faced in a largely rural area. Nurses were unionized. Improved the fairness of treatment of RN and aides.

Cons

Health care workers were unionized. Seniority rules sometimes made it hard to hire the best person for the job.

"Collaboration wasn't there"

Former Employee - Nurses Aide in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Nurses Aide in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nurses work together usually pretty well, patients seemed pretty well taken care of, nurses acted as advocates.

Cons

The collaboration nurse to doctor just wasn't there with many of them. Didn't offer tuition help to further education, pay is far lower than other areas... so I left. I don't know what they've done recently. I ACTUALLY had a doctor THROW a chart at me once. NO respect for ancillary staff FYI!! just as a warning!

Advice to Management

From when I worked there, give more opportunities for educational advancement (IE tuition payment) as a perk for employement.

9. "Great core values, not a great place for IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management has a clear direction. Patient safety and satisfaction is a high priority.

Cons

IT management have serious control and self worth issues.

Advice to Management

Time for a new CIO!

"Awesome in some ways but terrible in others"

Current Employee - Technologist
    Current Employee - Technologist

Pros

My boss is awesome
    Can take time off when needed
    Flexible
    Great equipment

Cons

The people that run the hospital make ill informed decisions and don't listen to reason. They don't follow the principles of common sense and don't listen to the people that do the real work.