Canvas New York Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Canvas United Review from a Full Stack Engineer."

Former Employee - Full Stack Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Full Stack Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Canvas New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Canvas is a small digital agency that has an excellent company culture and does great work. It is a fantastic place to grow and learn. Employee satisfaction is very important to the company, and as a former engineer, there were many opportunities to try out different technologies. The quality of the work produced there is very high, but the work life balance is also great.

Cons

Canvas is a digital agency that sometimes juggles many projects at once, so there is little time dedicated to building internal engineering tools and most time for learning new technologies is done outside of the work hours. Compensation is decent.

Advice to Management

You guys were great!

2. "Fun projects, no egos. A great place to build a career."

Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Canvas New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Canvas is a rare combination of excellent professional, portfolio building work with a strong value for work life balance. The engineering team now operates in a lateral management structure, making it flexible, and collaborative. There are no egos in the company making communication positive and productive. The team really cares about the work and keeping up with the latest technology. This has allowed me to produce strong work that has truly helped to furthered my technical career and produce work I am proud to put in my portfolio. The company also makes time for things ranging from social gatherings, technical sharing sessions, transparent company status meetings and opportunities for things like weekly cross team education sessions.

Cons

The team is strongly collaborative and team oriented. If you like to keep to yourself and have no interest in improvement, you will not be happy. The team is also small and fast moving, which can make projects challenging. You will not be content if you are not open to new ideas and learning technology.

3. "Smart people, comfortable environment"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Canvas New York full-time

Pros

Everyone here is really smart and no one has an ego. It's really easy to collaborate and express concern over a particular feature or product without feeling like you will have your head bitten off. Everyone is committed to making a great product that meets the needs of our clients in a stress-free environment. There's a lot of room to make your voice heard and develop new skills.

Cons

Processes are sometimes unclear and there are some growing pains as we become a bigger business, but no one passes the buck and we're all in it together.

Advice to Management

Share business development strategies with employees more frequently and provide clearer career advancement objectives.

4. "The ideal work/life balance"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Canvas New York full-time

Pros

It has become en vogue to work for a digital agency or a rising dot-com. After speaking with fellow colleagues in the industry and having worked here for 2 1/2+ years, I can say Canvas is at the upper echelon of an ideal work-life balance environment.

Key points for anyone include:
    Career advancement
    Competitive salary
    Realistic and supportive work environment
    GREAT clients w challenging, strategic, high profile projects
    Most important: very cool co-workers of genuinely good people.

Cons

Smaller size means more ownership of your own work - not a negative unless you view that as such.
    Don't expect lavish spending like a larger agency (again, only a negative if you see it that way).

Advice to Management

My honest advice is to keep doing what you're doing. It's clear and evident that you genuinely care about your employees and that means so much at the end of the day.

"Not great place to work but good to get experience I guess."

Former Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Canvas New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have big ambitions and they know what their doing. They are go getters and they have very strong work ethic. The work they create is polished and professional and well thought out. They know how to sell themselves.

Cons

The work life balance is nothing but aweful. I worked here before it was known as Canvas and was around during the transition. (between 2007-2013) They treated me poorly, worked me to the bone. As a creative I had to work crazy late hours, sometimes over night and never compensated time to rest up. The account team worked as creative directors and even though functionally what you had done was correct they would make changes that even the clients would reverse, basically doubling our work load. There was no flexibility in the creative culture, if its not done their way exactly then its not right. I witnessed two rounds of massive turn over over my time there. Many people would get burnt out and have to find new jobs.

Advice to Management

What you create is fantastic, you just need to improve your company culture.

"Great diversity, great team."

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Canvas New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly creative, inspiring design team
    Detail oriented, approachable, and dedicated engineering team
    Approachable management
    Reasonable hours for an agency (yes you have your late nights but honestly, previous reviewers who have complained about the crazy work hours have clearly never worked for an agency where you work through weekends months on end)
    Bi-weekly/monthly events from general bar socials to ball games.
    Very diverse client base

Cons

Unclear big picture company strategy
    Needs to be better at organizing and leveraging past work in new similar projects
    Not enough selling of user testing and research capabilities
    No perks from clients (yes I'm whining here a bit)

Advice to Management

Focus on positioning Canvas as a long term strategic partner with more clients.

7. "Super nice people, solid work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Canvas New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent 3 years at Canvas-- super nice people that I miss, easy to work with, easy collaborators. A-list clients, *mostly* fun projects, they actually care about the work not just hours billed. Nice, bright office by union square.. Accommodating when I wanted to take a long vacation.

Cons

Didn't always deal with difficult clients quickly enough. People sometimes left to sink or swim. Maintaining legacy projects killed too much time.

Advice to Management

More happy hours

8. "Quickly becoming one of the top agencies in NYC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Canvas New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In short: Flexible, fun and open office culture. Attracts creative thinkers and well known clients. Beautiful, homey office. Awesome location. Approachable management.

I've worked at Canvas New York for 4 years now and cannot speak more highly of this company. Talented, passionate people thrive at Canvas as a result of taking initiative, a positive attitude and developing one’s skills. I’ve known several employees who have left the company to explore personal opportunities who have returned to be part of the Canvas team again.

This agency attracts big name clients and works hard to branch out into industries it hasn't yet worked in. They are very selective of the work that they take on and they don’t take on boring projects just to “keep the lights on." Working in new industries propagates a culture of curiosity and learning. Work is expected to be top notch in order to jive with the caliber of clients that the agency attracts. Junior-level employees have incredible opportunities to get their hands on meaningful work and are expected to learn on the job as well as advance their skills outside of it.

The work-life balance is one of the best that I have seen in the industry — admittedly, it varies team to team and project to project. Co-workers are positive, interesting people. Negative employees typically do not stick around for very long. Benefits are standard for the agency world (read: it's not a startup...) and time off increases after a few years. Periodic company happy hours and "team hangs" every other week encourage employees to unwind while on company time. The fridge is always stocked with beer and free bagels every Wednesday make the weeks go by fast.

Cons

A challenge for Canvas is finding the right balance between departmental collaboration and more siloed work rhythms during a project’s lifecycle.

Not really a con, but definitely something to be aware of: accountability on the quality of one’s work needs to be intentionally sought out and is part of the personal investment and personal initiative needed to thrive here.

Certain teams face higher turnover rates than others.

Advice to Management

Agreed with another commenter about bandwidth -- keep hiring. Encourage the internal dialogue around the project process to find the right amount of departmental collaboration and bring back a post-mortem in some form to iterate on project processes. Company happy hours are great for the team!

"Agreeing with the other review. This place is a joke..."

Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Canvas New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although this place is horrible, there where a few pros. Every other week there were get togethers for the whole company that included beer, games and more. Everyone, except the CTO was super cool and easy to get a long with. Able to use/experiment with various programming stacks.

Cons

One of the worst working experiences I have had. This was mainly because the company tried to take on to many clients without accessing the real clients needs and a CTO gone haywire. Was hired on as a full-stack engineer with a strong focus on the front-end but was quickly the lead on a huge application that came with a ton of more responsibility than intended for, 70 hour work weeks, no recognition and a horrible pay without the possibility of discussing a pay increase. This is because the CTO did not fully assess the projects requirements in which lead to every contractor from the begging quiting. So from the extremely dumb assesment that the aka CTO made all the mistakes and projects engineering was handed to me. CTO believes that he is the person that makes the company and if he was fired the company would fail. Also, CTO works way to much and is always stressed out. He leads people on and makes faulty promises. The worst is he talks about former employees including myself negatively to other employees & people outside work. There are some positive things about the CTO but those don't out weigh the negative side. I could go on and on but would say that you should only work here if they have a reasonable amount of clients and a much better CTO.

Advice to Management

- Fire the CTO and replace with a more stable work less but harder and clear minded CTO,
    - Take on less clients,
    - Hire more sr. engineers,
    - Don't make promises you can't keep,
    - Maybe throw in a little bit better insurance than the worst plan that is available,
    - Owners should be more engaged with the engineering side of things because it seemed that they only spoke with project managers & designers. Made it feel like the engineer's were not that important.

"Not the best company for Jr. in any part of the industry."

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Canvas New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers good benefits. They are in a good location within the city. Great group of designers and a great group of developers who know how to work really well together.

Cons

Extremely unhealthy work-life balance. If you cannot work 14-16 hour days with them they do not find you a worthy asset. They employ a sink or swim attitude within the company which is no good for junior positions and people right out of school. You really must live within the city to be able to work for this company, they require you at all times, no matter what you do, from p.m's down to designers.