Capco Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Quality of work-life balance is great (in 38 reviews)

• Great people throughout the firm with an open and approachable leadership team (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting the work/life balance right can be a challenge initially (in 31 reviews)

• The promotions often go to those who rub shoulders with senior management (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great onboarding experience!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new hire, figuring out how to navigate within a new organization can sometimes be challenging. However, as a new hire my transition into Capco was probably one of the best I've every experienced at a new company. On my first day I already had the first week laid out with a proper induction plan. Sessions were scheduled in advance over the course of the week, along with contacts to meet and connections already made the minute I walked in the door. I was really impressed with how seamless and easy it was to get acclimated.

Cons

We didn't have technology until the second day, but it's difficult to call that a con as that's still a lot quicker than I've seen in a lot of other places.

Advice to Management

Access to senior people is key for new hires coming in the door. I would just advise that the focus around this continues to be a priority.

Dec 11, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review, and we are pleased to hear about your experience with Capco as a new joiner.

Setting people up for success when they join the firm is very important to us, and a... More

2. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After several rounds of interviews with Big 4/strategy firms, I made the decision to join Capco.
    There is a great culture (teaming, entrepreneurial, straightforward, open door policy) and people at all levels have in depth expertise in the financial services industry.
    Lots of thought leadership & projects in digital strategy, robotics, tech strategy which is the way to go!

Cons

Internal IT could be better, but I heard it will addressed shortly.
    Really not much, I really enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Increase the visibility of the business pipeline to all levels
    Continue focusing on what matters to build the banks of the future

Dec 11, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review, and we are pleased to hear that after your research and interviews with other consulting firms you chose to join Capco.

We are also really excited by the thought... More

3. "Much better than a big four!"

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capco feels different - more edgy and innovative than a traditional big four consultancy. Who wants to work for a big four and deal with all the legacy accountancy dynamic?

Cons

Capco is a fast moving and growing company, which means a few things are self service. But that helps the culture too.

Dec 14, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your great review!

Many of our employees choose to work for Capco rather than one of the larger consulting firms for the reasons you call out and more. The size of Capco means that... More

4. "Feels Like Home"

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even before I joined Capco, when I was going through the recruitment process and onboarding process, I have always felt like Capco is a place that cares about their people. I have spent a lot of time at different companies and nothing compares.

I have seen Capco go through significant structural/management changes and they have always made it a priority to keep their fantastic culture and ensure their people are happy.

They enable you to succeed and give you the necessary tools to do so. You will be rewarded for hard work and given the opportunity to succeed. It truly is a place that you get what you put in.

They are very flat. When speaking with the partners, I am treated like a peer. I have built friendships with my coworkers that will last a life time.

They value their clients and sell very interesting work.

Last but not least, the free food and beverages is a plus

Cons

Hard to think of any but the internal technology and platforms could be a bit better. They are making changes though.

And they stopped supplying free Gatorade

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and clients

Provide more transparency into what our parent companies are thinking of and doing with Capco

Dec 14, 2017 – HR

Thanks for such a terrific review, and what a great title! It really sums up why many people come to Capco, and stay as they progress in their career. It's great to hear you talk about Capco's... More

5. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great access to upper management and high quality engagements in DC

Cons

Limited clients in the DC area

Nov 22, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review, and we're pleased to hear that you enjoy working at Capco.

We have significant relationships with key clients in the DC area, and we are further expanding our presence. To... More

6. "Great Company For Growth"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly culture and supportive environment
    -Small enough that you can learn most peoples names and have a sense of community with the company as a whole
    -Willing to take risks in terms of business opportunities and allows junior members to run with initiatives if capable
    -So far, has been a place that rewards and recognizes high achievers

Cons

There are wide spread concerns that the recent private equity purchase will negatively impact promotions, wage increases and bonuses. While this may increase profits in the short term, this will definitely increase turnover, particularly for high performing talent who will be forced to seek employment elsewhere. High performers should be paid market standards for retention purposes since they are often the ones enabling existing accounts to see the value from hiring Capco consultants.

High and low performers have many opportunities to join larger consulting firms and attrition of top talent due to compensation discrepancies will negatively impact the long term health of Capco and will be noticeable in their long term accounts.

Advice to Management

Provide market standard compensation for high performers. They provide the stability in long term accounts required for growth. This will increase turnover for those not performing to a high standard but grow the population of competent talent. Stick to meritocracy roots.

Nov 21, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review and we are delighted to hear that you are enjoying the many benefits and opportunities on offer at Capco.

Regarding your comments on compensation, there are many reviews on... More

"So far, so good."

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Capco appears to be in a period rapid expansion, presenting an excellent opportunity for young professionals in my industry and specialization.

Cons

No cons yet - I just look forward to completion of the new DC office. The new location will be an added improvement. 👍🏽

Advice to Management

Add top PBI's to your campus recruitment radar, if you haven't already.

Oct 25, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review and welcome to the Capco team!

The firm is certainly expanding, which means lots of opportunities for career progression and development. Given Capco's focus on the... More

8. "Poor in every regard"

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Nice office in downtown NY - Manhattan

I really struggle to find anything good to say.... there is just nothing. I have only been here so long, because i had special circumstances that made it okay.

Cons

-Bad leadership
    -Bad organization and structure
    -Horrible culture
    -Bad projects

Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. There are major systemic problems at this company that cannot and will not be fixed anytime soon. I dont even think they are being considered as problems. Staffing is done without regards to individual skillets and/or progression of the person. Most projects are under horrible circumstances (Traveling fees only partially covered, Client does not want consultants there, Client just rude in general, Incredibly under- or overstaffed, totally wrong skillets on projects, internal power struggles within Capco, No leadership or proper management on project, No kind of "airsupport" when necessary, etc.).

I have seen other consultancies, and this is just a worse case. Especially on the lower grades (AO/CO) the churn is just incredibly high because of the overall bad situation.

Advice to Management

Replace current management with real leadership and create people in charge of aligning partner goals with Company goals. Currently there is no working escalation path, if two partners don't agree.

Dec 4, 2017 – HR

We are disappointed to read your review. We take great care in determining staffing assignments to find the best possible fit for each employee. It is an engaging and interactive process, so we... More

"Forming the Future of Finance"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capco is a great place to work as shown by the ever-growing number of awards received year after year. The culture at Capco is so unique and positive compared to other firms in the industry and that starts at top. From Partner to Associate, your voice is heard and your work is recognized. As an employee I have never felt like just a number, but rather as part of team that is so passionate about what they do. That culture is felt the minute you join the team and has truly made Capco a great place to work.

Cons

Many employees work in remote locations across the country where offices are not present. These employees are at a disadvantage due to not being able to attend classroom-only training offered by Capco. While some training is offered in a virtual classroom, most training is only available in person. This puts those employees at a disadvantage compared to other employees who work in cities with a Capco office available.

Advice to Management

More training, and specifically certifications related to project work and career skill building, need to be available in a virtual setting rather than classroom-based due to the nature of the consulting industry.

Oct 25, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoy working at Capco. In particular, your comment that you felt part of the team as soon as you joined is great to hear. As we... More

10. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, Opportunity, Challenge, Career Development, Project Diversity, Developing Leading Industry FinTech, Internal training/learning hub

Cons

Mismanagement, Siloes, Frequent changes to executive management in last few years

Oct 19, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoy the career development and learning opportunities at Capco. As a firm, we recognize the importance of offering strong development... More