Capco Principal Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Quality of work-life balance is great (in 37 reviews)

• Great people throughout the firm with an open and approachable leadership team (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting the work/life balance right can be a challenge initially (in 30 reviews)

• The promotions often go to those who rub shoulders with senior management (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great onboarding experience!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new hire, figuring out how to navigate within a new organization can sometimes be challenging. However, as a new hire my transition into Capco was probably one of the best I've every experienced at a new company. On my first day I already had the first week laid out with a proper induction plan. Sessions were scheduled in advance over the course of the week, along with contacts to meet and connections already made the minute I walked in the door. I was really impressed with how seamless and easy it was to get acclimated.

Cons

We didn't have technology until the second day, but it's difficult to call that a con as that's still a lot quicker than I've seen in a lot of other places.

Advice to Management

Access to senior people is key for new hires coming in the door. I would just advise that the focus around this continues to be a priority.

Dec 11, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review, and we are pleased to hear about your experience with Capco as a new joiner.

Setting people up for success when they join the firm is very important to us, and a... More

2. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Quality of work-life balance is great. There is a very strong and positive firm culture and growth model. Also, the firm's truly cohesive structure and culture speak well to upper management and their leadership.

Cons

There isn't much I can write here...Management is scattered but it's part of the Management Consultant world so it's understandable.

Advice to Management

N/A

Jun 26, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your great review!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoy working at Capco and it's great to have you as part of the team. Capco's culture is one of the things which sets it apart from... More

3. "Lots of Changes"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good base pay, good people

Cons

Very competitive, can be isolating

Advice to Management

Stabilize Management

Feb 15, 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

As per your review, one of the things we hear time and again about Capco is how our people make the firm. Consulting is a people business and we pride... More

"Right Place to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

The right place to work if you are ambitious and willing to take control of and grow your own career. Additional opportunity and responsibility given to those who show they are capable and up for the challenge.

Cons

Changes in leadership have been difficult for employees at the firm more than one year, but new leadership looks to be taking firm in the right direction.

Jul 22, 2016 – Consultant

We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review and it is great to see you realizing the benefits of a career at Capco. We've started implementing our new operating model and building out... More

"Growing company"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is investing lots of dollars into innovation and branding. This is creating a competitive advantage over the other legacy consultant firms.

Cons

As a Consultant you are on your own with very little mentoring. This can be good and bad depending on if you need support.

Advice to Management

Create a better process for helping new consultants mature.

Jul 7, 2016 – Consultant

Thanks very much for your review, it is great to see our investment paying off. We are just now in the process of reviewing our coaching and management policies to make sure that all of our... More

"Culture is gone"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, entrepreneurial environment (if not shot down by parent), cool offices, open debate culture (to some extent), some managers/partners are world class

Cons

Culture is gone with new management, no longer a boutique firm being part of a Global FinTech firm, lack of inspiration, motivation and true leadership

Too many ego's and selfish wannabes at exec level

Advice to Management

Live to your core values, walk the walk, provide guidance and a clear strategy

Jun 23, 2016 – HR

Thank you for the time you have taken to submit this review.

It's important that our leavers feel they can provide honest input needed to drive positive changes, so we appreciate your feedback... More

"Good opportunities"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good opportunities to work on, however you need to avoid the change-sourcing and staff augmentation roles
    Compensation is competitive
    Opportunities to work in different environments and gain various skills sets

Cons

Review process is not consistent and lacks transparency - needs a serious revamp and clearer guidelines
    Favoritism for promotions and reviews
    Lack of expectation setting before starting work

Advice to Management

Come up with a clear review structure and stick to it - actually follow the career framework you've given to your employees

"Don't leave your job for the pay increase - disposable body shop"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco (Less than a year)

Pros

They have an organized knowledge center, templates, and deliverables. Common personnel are experienced delivery consultants from wealth and other consulting firms. Projects expectations vary but a majority are largely centered around general PM BA delivery.

Cons

They ramp up and wind down risky projects quickly so they offer significant increases to join but have had multiple recent challenges with firm wide non-performance based layoffs, poor performance from misaligned individuals, and lack of direction after several changes in leadership and ownership

Advice to Management

It's hard to build on shaky ground. Create a destination not a stepping stone. Commit to people you hire, don't tell them you can just white label contractors during layoffs

"Principal Consultant"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capco is one of the few firms where one can freely learn, think, delivery and grow. Nowhere else does a firm offer this kind of fluidity, where you can literally visit with any Partner to share ideas as one develops new ideas. Projects are challenging, clients are well-known, and the people are amazing. Capco encourages CSR, education, and community events as part of a well-balanced consulting lifestyle. Benefits are generous and flexible as well, fitting people with different needs.

Cons

Corporate structure is going through a period of flux. It would be ideal to see and hear what the next stages look like in terms of the overall strategic growth trajectory. Change is good, of course.

Advice to Management

Continue to connect and communicate engagement intel with resources on the ground. Continue to develop junior resources. Keep sales strong while retaining a creative culture.

"Sad Story"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capco has been an amazing place to work for the past few years. There are a handful of good people left but most are long gone and many more will leave within the year. Offices are nice, IT team is great, and the company was widely respected. However, that respect will certainly wear off given new leaderships attitude and general lack of market understanding. Employee satisfaction went from 100 - 0 since the new leaders took over. Attrition rates are through the roof. Recruitment has stalled.

Cons

New Global CEO has completely lost touch with what made capco great. He is hoping he can milk the changesourcing cow for a few more years before competitors blow the capco model out of the water. Speaks with a lot of consultant jargon while typically saying absolutely nothing. If you want your career to be in loan staffing this is the place for you (aka go work with a bunch of uninspired suits who hate their lives and work long hours doing boring jobs in the back office of banks for below average pay). Human Capital has no insight into how to develop or rate employees. If you join Capco - you will leave or want to leave within 3 months. The culture pitch is all rhetoric there is nothing innovative, entrepreneurial, or cutting edge about capco. Their AI practice is an associate forwarding links to AI articles. I think they got rid of their digital practice (but who knows there is no communication). They have a 3d printer and a drone that sit in a closet until recruits come to the office. You will do work that requires no brainpower, just monotonous mindless activity. People come, they realize it was all rhetoric and they leave, and the cycle continues. Uninspiring, depressing, and ultimately a soon to be dissolved entity.

Advice to Management

My advice is to start being honest, actually communicate with the company, develop an actual strategy and commit, and return to the prior regimes mindset. If not, plan on watching the rest of your talent walk. If I was FIS I'd shut it down.