Capco Principal Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Lance Levy

1. "Lots of Changes"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good base pay, good people

Cons

Very competitive, can be isolating

Advice to Management

Stabilize Management

Feb 15, 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback. As per your review, one of the things we hear time and again about Capco is how our people make the firm. Consulting is a people business and we pride ... More

"Growing company"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is investing lots of dollars into innovation and branding. This is creating a competitive advantage over the other legacy consultant firms.

Cons

As a Consultant you are on your own with very little mentoring. This can be good and bad depending on if you need support.

Advice to Management

Create a better process for helping new consultants mature.

Jul 7, 2016 – Consultant

Thanks very much for your review, it is great to see our investment paying off. We are just now in the process of reviewing our coaching and management policies to make sure that all of our ... More

"Culture is gone"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, entrepreneurial environment (if not shot down by parent), cool offices, open debate culture (to some extent), some managers/partners are world class

Cons

Culture is gone with new management, no longer a boutique firm being part of a Global FinTech firm, lack of inspiration, motivation and true leadership

Too many ego's and selfish wannabes at exec level

Advice to Management

Live to your core values, walk the walk, provide guidance and a clear strategy

Jun 23, 2016 – HR

Thank you for the time you have taken to submit this review. It's important that our leavers feel they can provide honest input needed to drive positive changes, so we appreciate your feedback ... More

"Good opportunities"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good opportunities to work on, however you need to avoid the change-sourcing and staff augmentation roles
    Compensation is competitive
    Opportunities to work in different environments and gain various skills sets

Cons

Review process is not consistent and lacks transparency - needs a serious revamp and clearer guidelines
    Favoritism for promotions and reviews
    Lack of expectation setting before starting work

Advice to Management

Come up with a clear review structure and stick to it - actually follow the career framework you've given to your employees

"Don't leave your job for the pay increase - disposable body shop"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco (Less than a year)

Pros

They have an organized knowledge center, templates, and deliverables. Common personnel are experienced delivery consultants from wealth and other consulting firms. Projects expectations vary but a majority are largely centered around general PM BA delivery.

Cons

They ramp up and wind down risky projects quickly so they offer significant increases to join but have had multiple recent challenges with firm wide non-performance based layoffs, poor performance from misaligned individuals, and lack of direction after several changes in leadership and ownership

Advice to Management

It's hard to build on shaky ground. Create a destination not a stepping stone. Commit to people you hire, don't tell them you can just white label contractors during layoffs

"Principal Consultant"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capco is one of the few firms where one can freely learn, think, delivery and grow. Nowhere else does a firm offer this kind of fluidity, where you can literally visit with any Partner to share ideas as one develops new ideas. Projects are challenging, clients are well-known, and the people are amazing. Capco encourages CSR, education, and community events as part of a well-balanced consulting lifestyle. Benefits are generous and flexible as well, fitting people with different needs.

Cons

Corporate structure is going through a period of flux. It would be ideal to see and hear what the next stages look like in terms of the overall strategic growth trajectory. Change is good, of course.

Advice to Management

Continue to connect and communicate engagement intel with resources on the ground. Continue to develop junior resources. Keep sales strong while retaining a creative culture.

"Sad Story"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capco has been an amazing place to work for the past few years. There are a handful of good people left but most are long gone and many more will leave within the year. Offices are nice, IT team is great, and the company was widely respected. However, that respect will certainly wear off given new leaderships attitude and general lack of market understanding. Employee satisfaction went from 100 - 0 since the new leaders took over. Attrition rates are through the roof. Recruitment has stalled.

Cons

New Global CEO has completely lost touch with what made capco great. He is hoping he can milk the changesourcing cow for a few more years before competitors blow the capco model out of the water. Speaks with a lot of consultant jargon while typically saying absolutely nothing. If you want your career to be in loan staffing this is the place for you (aka go work with a bunch of uninspired suits who hate their lives and work long hours doing boring jobs in the back office of banks for below average pay). Human Capital has no insight into how to develop or rate employees. If you join Capco - you will leave or want to leave within 3 months. The culture pitch is all rhetoric there is nothing innovative, entrepreneurial, or cutting edge about capco. Their AI practice is an associate forwarding links to AI articles. I think they got rid of their digital practice (but who knows there is no communication). They have a 3d printer and a drone that sit in a closet until recruits come to the office. You will do work that requires no brainpower, just monotonous mindless activity. People come, they realize it was all rhetoric and they leave, and the cycle continues. Uninspiring, depressing, and ultimately a soon to be dissolved entity.

Advice to Management

My advice is to start being honest, actually communicate with the company, develop an actual strategy and commit, and return to the prior regimes mindset. If not, plan on watching the rest of your talent walk. If I was FIS I'd shut it down.

"Fantastic learning environment, but politics persist"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

- interesting project work
    - successful project delivery leads to rapid career stage progression + pre-sales, ppl mgmt opportunities

Cons

- P&L disputes across practices, groups forced choices despite desire to participate in multiple topic areas

Advice to Management

preserve some of the true management consulting cache, don't dilute while pursuing large change/tech outsourcing

"Glorified sweat shop, zero leadership, frat house mentality"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free soda in the office
    - Free breakfast
    - The base pay was actually decent

Cons

I can confirm that all the cons provided by others are 100% true, but let me start from the top...

Leadership - every now and then, leadership would speak about how they are forming the future of finance. They would literally spend serious cash (parties, videos, campaign) playing mental gymnastics and trying to convince consultants that Capco is so far ahead of the innovation curve and an absolute industry leader in the financial services sector. Since we were part of the organization and had vested our careers in its leadership, we tend to become delusional on that regard. On top of that, there is no transparency on how they rate their employees. There is an out of date process for performance review and no one actually took it seriously.

Projects - the official definition of changesouring is: absorbing part of a bank, convert the department into Capco consultants, and receive contracts from the bank doing the exact same thing. The problem is, these work that the banks were performing, they were the most unwanted kind, hence zero value added and career killer. Capco would repackage their very own employees to their clients as staff aug, but since no one trusts the "Capco Consultants", the IT side of the bank would give Capco the absolute worst kind of IT jobs, such as, testing - the kind that other organizations outsources to India or Latin America.

Engagement partners- when a consulting firm sells a project, there's a SOW and a clear objective of what to achieve, be it standing up a platform or transforming a business. That’s how things work in the consulting world. In Capco, the partner's objective is to provide unqualified bodies at a below market rate and let the clients figure out what to do with them. Since the banks are getting "FS consultants" at a dirt cheap rate (compare to other consulting firms) and no commitment of employments, they are more than happy to take on these contracts. It saves them a lot of cash in a long run. Think outsourcing - but locally. Hence, changesourcing!! The partners - they don't care. Contracts are signed, moving on to the next client. They do, however, spend some effort into branding and creating optics that they were directly competing with Accenture, IBM, or Big 4.

Learning and Training / HR - all the cons written about learning and training is 100% true, especially the quality of the HR department. However, I do highly recommend people joining the Capco HR department. The career path is super aggressive since you are closer to partners and best of all, you don’t do anything 7 days a week, 365 days a year!! The fact that they have pre-determined/robotic response to different types of negative Glassdoor feedback tells you how genuine they are.

Culture – the consensus #1 aspect that all “Capconites” are truly proud of. It’s true, at one point I was proud of what they stood for in innovations and technologies. Looking back, I can’t stress how delusional that was. Delusional is truly the right and only word to use because when you are an employee constantly staring a propaganda emails (see above on leadership), your emotion runs high on their beliefs and mentality. All the campaigns about digitalization, crowd funding, humanistic, disruptive, beyourseflatwork, etc. They really get into your head. By injecting these jargons into their employees, they create this culture of exclusiveness where everyone thinks he/she is starting a revolution like in Les Miserable – creating that “either you are in or you are out” mentality. The truth is, since every consultant is doing pointless project work (refer to projects) and spends his/her 9-5 working on “contributions” that gets them promoted, everyone is brainwashed to believe that Capco has most radically innovative minds in the world. Try criticizing or commenting on their propaganda, their culture would organically phase you out. In a way it’s brilliant by their leadership to keep the morale high!

People / Hiring – If you don’t stutter and look grateful, you are hired. At one point, because they need to fulfill a staffing requirement for a client, they literally were sending out offer letters to everyone who applies. I actually did recruiting for them as my “contribution” and I was told that we HAVE to “hire at least 3/5 from the group…but don’t lower your standard…but pick 3”. I almost got into a fist fight on how none of them qualified and they ended up hiring 4.

Advice to Management

Stop campaigning that you are innovating. Testing a user friendly website for a bank is not an innovation.

Stop enabling this toxic culture where you and your associate best friend is working on a “top secret” internal project (or somewhat the same concept), thus creating this low level arrogance due to the whole disruptive non-sense. This is how you create that exclusiveness that everyone here in Glassdoor has a problem with.

Hire a top consulting firm and have them give you an honest reality check. All these internal “strategies” are obviously done with a bias and everyone knows you are not really cutting into MBB’s market share. But hey what do I know…maybe it happened already and they have been throwing us the “disruptive” bone.

"Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company for mid level candidates allowing them to experience a professional atmosphere and interesting financial applications development

Cons

Not a company for Senior Professional Men...Capco charges much higher rates for a Principal to work on a project; consequently Principal Consultant and up are in constant jeopardy of being let go since it is Capco's policy to not support a bench.

Advice to Management

Develop a business model that conforms to current market practices in order to stay competitive and thereby dramatically decrease the rate of attrition