Capco Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 12, 2020

Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy
Pros
  • "Felxible working hours which helps in work life balance(in 98 reviews)

• "When your co-workers and managers end up becoming friends you can do life with outside of work - you know you're at a company full of great people(in 54 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent Place to Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I have control over my career. I can align my work roles to my interests and can pursue work that truly interests me. - Leadership is accessible and responsive; I definitely feel heard. - The Coaching model for support is effective and easy to navigate. - Good work is celebrated and rewarded. - The culture is one of teamwork and collaboration. - Excellent benefits

Cons

- There is a bit of a disconnect for remote workers; more work could be done on building up virtual communities for distant workers. - I have seen some work/life balance issues, mostly with top performers being pushed beyond their point of balance.

"Excellent benefits and accessible leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Excellent benefits package (very good health insurance, vacation/maternity/paternity policies, unlimited sick days, gym membership reimbursement, mobile plans, 10k towards certifications/education, new parent bonus gift) - easy access to leadership team with no hierarchy - Large scale, long term projects at huge clients with opportunities spanning across all phases of engagement - Emphasis and opportunities for continued learning - Support for achieving work life balance - employees from diverse backgrounds

Cons

- lack of centralized intranet to manage all internal functions and processes

"Good for Work Experience, Bad for Long-Term Growth"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• The People – Worked with some very nice people, whose mentorship was of immense value to me both while at Capco and afterwards. • Learning & Development – There are lots of learning and development opportunities, especially if you are interested in teaching one of the courses. I have been lucky to do that for multiple workshops, and am very happy to have been able to do so. Sometimes Capco will even pay for you to get external training that may not be offered internally. • Diverse Project Experience – Capco as of late has gained somewhat of a reputation as a “body shop” with countless staff augmentation-related projects for anyone to get involved with. If you are first starting out and have little to no project experience I think that this could be a good thing. You are able to try different things, and decide what areas of specialization/focus that you’re interested in. • Work-Life Balance – While W-L balance can be a mixed bag depending on your project, in my experience, my days were usually over by 5.30pm and I could have the rest of my day to myself. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule (such as deadlines and presentations) but generally speaking, work-life balance at Capco is solid.

Cons

• The People – While I have worked with some wonderful people at Capco, the firm does also have its fair share of individuals who are not the friendliest or helpful, and in some (extreme) cases have proven to be quite surreptitious and Machiavellian. At times, on projects, my colleagues and I often felt that we had targets on our backs are were consistently in “CYA-mode” due to a toxic culture/work environment. • Compensation and Promotion – To be very blunt, the compensation packages at Capco are atrocious, with non-existent wiggle room for negotiations in your compensation packages. I’ve heard horror stories from fellow colleagues about negotiation conversations being shut down (almost immediatley) upon inquiry. The same can be said when it comes to promoting talent, which can only be described as a banal political game. Don’t be fooled by the thinly-veiled doublespeak when leadership talks about having a “meritocratic” culture. When talent feels undervalued, attrition rates begin to rise. • Lack of Diversity – Frankly, this is an industry-wide problem with very little end in sight. I’ve found that much of the diversity within Capco is relegated to the special interest groups (eg: Women @ Capco, Black @ Capco, et al.), but it certainly is not enough by a long-shot. Such a lack of inclusion can even be seen in some project teams where team leads only pick the same groups of people to work with on projects, effectively shutting out individuals who may be interested in doing the same work. Most of the senior leadership is still a “boys club” comprised of older, white men which has only been penetrated by SOME people of color and women in recent years. If Capco wants to remain competitive in the consulting and financial services worlds then this is something that will have to be addressed immediately.

Continue reading

"All Staff Aug / Extremely Unfulfilling Work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

There are very little pros to working at Capco. Little to no exit opportunities. Little to no tangible skills learned early on in your career. Poor Management. Only Pro is competitive salary, and a strong work life balance.

Cons

Capco is running a scheme to bring in smart college students and convincing them that working at this firm can advance your career and knowledge. Go to other boutique consulting firms if you genuinely wish to pursue a fulfilling career. The projects that Capco brings in are revenue grabs to put more money in senior management's pockets.

November 5, 2020HR

Aside from your favorable feedback on Capco’s competitive reward and work life balance, we are very disappointed to read your review. It is also inaccurate as we have many examples of employees who started as junior consultants at Capco and have progressed and built a rewarding career with the firm. As a former Associate, you will be aware of the extensive training offered to those on our Associate Talent Program both on and off the job alongside coaching and mentoring. Time and again on this forum people cite the real opportunity to make a difference and our inclusive culture as reasons to stay. Any employee who feels that they are not able to secure meaningful experience and opportunities for growth should discuss this with their manager and our HR team.

5. "Take control of your career"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Have been with Capco for over 5 years. The work interesting and challenging. You are encouraged to take control of your career and I have felt continually supported by the Leadership team. There are lots of opportunities to get involved and actively participate in different initiatives (from community and affinity groups to business development and sales).

Cons

Work / Life balance is a constant issue with the expectation to excel at Client and contribute to Capco business (nature of the Consulting business) Over the past year lost some very good consultants and culture has dwindled. There are some very smart, and passionate individuals where it is a pleasure to work with, however, this is not always the case with some lacking basic consulting skills/team-orientated mindset.

6. "Great people"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work if you surround yourself with the right people. You can find mentors who actually care about you, not just the bottom line.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge.

7. COVID-19

"Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a company focused only on Financial Services, Capco provides a great platform for continuing to evolve and develop deep and relevant knowledge across the industry. As an independent, mid-sized company, Capco offers excellent opportunities for growth without the limitations and red tape that you'd expect at a large consulting firm. For example, publishing of blogs and white papers is open to all individuals at Capco with a point of view and entrepreneurial spirit, and can typically be turned around and on the website to be promoted globally on social media within days. The other benefit of Capco is the open culture, where everyone is accessible.

Cons

As a consultancy that continues to grow, there's always more to do than can be done. Work-life balance is achievable but requires self management.

Continue reading
  8. "You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Managing Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- I have been given opportunities and roles that constantly stretch my capabilities, even when they make me uncomfortable - Most of the senior management are very approachable and engaged; I feel like they care about me both as a colleague and a person - Whenever I have reached out for help, people have been extremely supportive - Excellent benefits and vacation time

Cons

- Work-life balance is always a challenge to manage. We are subject to the whims of our clients and also need to contribute to the firm, which can be very demanding at times.

Continue reading

"Decent Place to work - bad politics"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great experience to notable investment banks and other financial services firms - Amazing culture, people, benefits and work life balance - Decent Pay, not crazy high, but industry standards - It's a great first job out of college where you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot and work with bright people who came from larger consulting firms or the Industry. - I was leaning on a 3.5 but decided to round up instead of down because honestly I liked it while I was there

Cons

- PMO/BA work primarily but really mainly PMO. It's hard to find a role outside of that and once you're stuck doing PMO work they'll make an effort to keep you there - Leadership was a bit poor. I'll say that they definitely were trying to be decent and did strive for transparency, but they made obvious poor decisions and exaggerated the work/impact of Capco - Capco is a small company compared to its larger competitors, so personal relationships existed within the company between managements and their juniors that would make several employees uncomfortable. Some of it unsolicited, all of it unprofessional. Although this isn't unique to Capco, they didn't have a strong enough HR system to report issues and provide feedback to leadership with keeping things anonymous. For example, there was a married partner clearly involved with a PC that he coached that everyone knew about but noone knew how to say anything because the HR team consists of 5 people and is in favor of the leadership. It wouldn't that much of a problem if their relationship didn't bleed into the daily office work.

June 8, 2020Web Editor

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the positive experience you had while working at Capco, including the culture, the opportunity to learn from smart colleagues, and competitive compensation. Capco offers a wealth of opportunities for people to develop and grow their careers, and posts open roles on its Resourcing App. Those who are interested in transitioning to a new role are welcome to apply for roles online or connect with one of our Resource Managers to discuss your interests. Mobility across projects and clients is supported by the firm and is one of the many reasons why people choose consulting as a career. Capco places great emphasis on respect and integrity, two of our core values, and we strongly encourage employees to come forward if you have any concerns about unprofessional behaviour or personal relationships at work. We have several vehicles for you to be able to report concerns, some of which are anonymous, and all of which will treat the information with the utmost of discretion. You can contact your HR Business Partner or the HR Director to discuss the matter confidentially. If you prefer, you can also reach out to a Partner or leader outside your immediate team to report your concerns or you may contact the Global HR Leader or a member of the Enterprise Risk team. The firm also has an independent Ethics Hotline and website that our people can use to report issues anonymously. All of these options are available to make it as comfortable as possible for employees to come forward to report any areas of concern.

"Good place to gain experience but will be entirely driven by your projects."

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your experience at Capco will be entirely driven from the projects you are placed on but this is no different than any other consulting firm. For me, I've enjoyed the projects I've worked on and expanded my industry knowledge significantly. -Access to senior levels of management is relatively high and many partners are willing to sit and talk with you one on one. -I've had the opportunity to work at a prestigious client and have gained great experience and industry contacts. -Work/life balance is fairly flexible but this will depend on the project. -Fun social events. -Capco does seem well positioned for future growth and has attracted a lot of great talent.

Cons

-Difficult to get a sense of company unity at Capco. Once you are designated as part of a practice its very difficult to move. -off-cycle onboarding leaves a lot to be desired. You are given a two day crash course and then left to figure out the company on your own. I imagine this is much different when joining from undergrad. -Capco can be very cliquey. This is in regard to social events, community service groups, and other various committees. Rarely do you ever see an invitation to apply/join an existing committee. -Building off the above, promotion criteria is difficult to meet without getting super involved on the community side, but as mentioned, there are no clear ways to dive into community work. -Pay is generally lower than industry standard. -If you get placed on a smaller account, it is very easy to feel quite isolated from Capco as a result of fewer social events, fewer peers working with you day to day, and less Partner face time. -Felt like I joined Capco, did the new hire experience, was on the bench for a few weeks, and went off to a client site and was out of sight out of mind from Capco leadership.

June 16, 2020Web Editor

Thank you for the range of positive feedback on the firm. Your comments on the quality of your experience, access to senior leadership and the positioning of the firm for future growth are all very welcome. It’s disappointing to read that you felt a bit isolated when you were on the bench, as this is not common feedback that we receive. We are currently reviewing our onboarding arrangements given the COVID situation and will consider your feedback as part of that review. It is important that people feel a connection with Capco’s culture and colleagues quickly so that everyone fulfil their potential in the firm. One of the elements on which the firm prides itself is the recognition we give to people’s contributions to Capco outside the strict confines of their role, in areas like Diversity and Inclusion, Interviewing, Innovation etc. It is disappointing that you were not able to access these opportunities. Ideally your coach or your colleagues should have made you aware of our community networks and activities. We would encourage you to raise this specific point with your coach. The firm prides itself on having an inclusive culture in which everyone is encouraged to play a part and make a contribution. We do not agree with your feedback re: compensation. The feedback on this forum suggests that pay in our firm is very competitive, and we regularly benchmark our compensation against our main competitors to ensure we match relevant pay markets and exceed them for our best performers.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 152 English Reviews