Capcom Vancouver Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mr. Kiichiro Urata

"animator"

Former Employee - Animator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Animator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and projects
    Yearly reviews and wage increases
    Great work hours
    Great benefits

Cons

Creek floods regularly and cars have to be moved or they will be under water.

Birds poop on the cars everyday.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio is always actively trying to improve. It's a positive place to work and there's a focus on quality over quantity.

Cons

I feel like the problems Capcom has are pretty standard for most game dev studios. There are a lot of negative reviews on here and I'm not too sure why. Anything I'd complain about would be nitpicking.

"Capcom is an industry stain"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Good talented peeps
    A few events

Cons

Can't make games other than the only 1 they've done over the last 10 years
    Worst management ever, they've been losing all their talents because they would all be outshined by their Seniors or Leads.. they would even fire the ones with larger experience... We've lost 3 Leads and 4 or 5 Seniors during the course of the year... Yet, same management team driving pour quality games...
    Pay is way lower than any standards...

Advice to Management

Stay true to yourselves... Maybe in 20 years from now you'll be able to ship a PS3 quality game!!!

5. "On the way to become the best studio in town"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Old Reviews are probably outdated and misleading, with new management I can see a company I can grow with.

Food And Drinks
    - Birthday cakes for everyone at the end of month
    - Monday morning bagels
    - Free coffee and tea
    - Occasional free snacks for everyone

Studio Culture
    - Studio direction is transparent, Studio Director share via all-hands meeting every Friday.
    - Generally Positive.

Management
    - I met CEO in person; he told our team in a meeting something like:" I believe you guys can make a great product, but if you do run into obstacles or need help just let me know."
    - We can talk to studio director whenever he is available; he shares with everyone who talks to him why he made some decisions, transparent.

Co-workers:
    - colleagues in my team are talented.
    - Working hard together, play hard together. Real sense of a TEAM

Product:
    - Quality driven

Cons

- Current Location floods when rain and overwhelmed by crow crap during nightfall, but moving to a great location this May.

Advice to Management

I believe senior management is doing a good job. As an employee, I do share the vision for the road ahead of us. Keep up the good work!

"Not Bad, but Not Good Either"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Great co-workers with a good attitude. Great benefits, good work/life balance (outside of the world team), solid IP with which to draw from.

Cons

No accountability for management means all blame gets placed on lower level employees and people that leave. There's a patented inability for management to see past 2 weeks into the future, this leads to a predictable panic around every milestone. No 360 reviews mean bad managers stay there and more bad decisions get made.

There is no honest feedback to be had. One moment everything is fine, the next moment you're reassigned with no explanation except for a spontaneous bad review come bonus time.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming old management for problems that still plague the studio. Begin real 360 reviews, identify weak leaders.

Get a vision holder for your projects, one that can hold people accountable for meeting that vision. The design by committee approach only ensures that every department has a different vision of what you are making.

"Great People, Interesting product, not great location"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really smart people working at Capcom - I have learned a lot from my years working there. As a studio they really know how to make their product (Dead Rising) and they are trying to diversify. The AAA space they aspire to be in is hard - big investments for hopefully a big reward.

Cons

I'm worried about their ability to make profitable. There franchise has never been an economic powerhouse so they really have to watch expenses.

"Political"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some talented people there. Benefits are pretty decent. They do a lot of social activities for the employees. BBQ's and such.

Cons

Management is very poor. They lack communication amongst management. This has made some very talented people leave to go elsewhere. The very disorganized management is really hurting the dev team, and morale.

Advice to Management

Have accountability when errors are made, make proactive decisions when a problem arises, communicate with one another, come up with a strategy so there is no overlap or conflicting styles of management. Get organized.

"Good studio but average quality"

Former Employee - Game Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Game Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are nice
    It is considered a AAA studio
    BBQs on the deck
    Nice in office pub

Cons

The leadership is bad
    The tech is bad
    Overtime can be rough
    Hope you like zombie games becsuse thats all you will do.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees reviews concerning their leads. The game engine needs to be scrapped and replaced with current tech.

"Best job or greatest job?"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Summary:
    - great culture
    - actual work life balance
    - great management team
    - transparent studio
    - staff treated with respect
    - great projects that are still secret

This is my fifth role in the gaming industry and the environment at Capcom Vancouver is by far the best I've experienced. From the very start this has been an enjoyable experience.

The hiring process was quick and relatively easy. The studio respected my time and treated me as a professional, which is surprisingly uncommon in the industry at times. Salary negotiations were quick and easy and benefits are equal to the best I've seen.

Everyone here is excited and glad to be working on great projects. If there are people complaining about work on their lunch hour or over drinks afterwards I haven't seen it. There's a great deal of respect and friendliness when dealing with other staff. It's an egoless environment that extends down from the top of the studio down. People are proud of their work and their contribution but they don't seem to be in the habit of putting down other's ideas to prop their own up.

There's a definite focus on diversity at the studio. While like most places in the industry it still struggles in some areas, it's not the standard "boys club" or frat house that some studios can be.

There's a great deal of social activities and clubs to join in, so making friends can happen quickly.

The studio makes time for that work-life balance they talk so much about. I've been at jobs where despite all the promises of work/life balance and the recruitment sales pitch about them being different they expect a 10+ hour work day on an ongoing basis. While I understand that "crunch time" is a part of the industry, too many studios expect that to be an ongoing thing. Capcom is the first studio I've ever worked at where after an 8 hour work day my manager told me to go home.

Cons

Summary:
    - commuting sucks
    - lack of nearby restaurants

I'm not a fan of the commute. While this is also the case with EA, and may not be the case for you, getting to Burnaby everyday in traffic is a pain. There is access to the Skytrain nearby, which may help you.

There's not much in the way of food around here. McDonald's. Do you like that? Otherwise there's some places in the buildings nearby but not much. A drive can get you to more choices.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Everything seems to be going good, and so far this has been my best experience in the industry.

"Struggling to keep up..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Capcom backing
    - Has shipped good titles in the past
    - Easy work life balance
    - Has many smart programmers
    - If your idea of team events is the odd free team lunch this is the place for you.

Cons

- High hopes, but the studio is struggling to keep up.
    - Switch to unreal happening, but that won't fix bad design churn and decision making.
    - Place has had a lot of management changes, not necessarily for the better. Too many producers and project managers pulling the strings.
    - A lot of political games, little to no room for growth.
    - little focus on polish and "A"quality results.

Advice to Management

Transparency is good, but following through with results is what matters the most.