Capcom Vancouver Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Canada

2.8
Mr. Kiichiro Urata

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance, nice team to work with (in 4 reviews)

• There's a lunch club and other clubs to be a part of such as board games (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Thinking is that hiring a dozen more project managers might help spur production from poor performers (in 3 reviews)

• They talk big plans but don't have have a clue how to make it happen (in 2 reviews)

"A mix of good and bad"

Former Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leads are really good and care about the project.
    There are doing some cool mobile work
    New studio is nice and good location

Cons

Expect large amounts of your work to be tossed away when they change the design a couple of times a year. This is the last change and we know what we're doing now until the next big change comes in 6 months.
    New studio management came in and blamed old management for all the problems. The new management created worse problems and left when they realized what they had down. Left the team to cleanup the mess.
    Studio management changes every year. Had 3 studio managers in 4 years.

Advice to Management

Don't hire a radio personality to run a game studio.

"Could be worse?"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Office is good, especially since the move to the new location (everyone has standing desk, and quality chair).
    - Benefits are good and improving (good coverage, and weekly appointments for in-office chair massage).
     - Lots of very smart, and very experienced people to work with and learn from.

Cons

- Embarrassingly underpayed, no transparency, excessive evaluation criteria which doesn't seem to mean anything anyway.
    - No career development. Very little oversight for more junior members, and nobody remaining who is actively engaging others.
    - Extremely impersonal. You don't matter. (Unless you are to be blamed for something.) Don't expect management to know what you do, or how you contribute. Your opinion does not matter, even if you are an expert in your domain.
     - Too much focus on building systems (which could be abandoned at any moment), and not shipping a product.

Advice to Management

Focus on shipping a product. Have some integrity. Pay the employees who are creating your game.

"Poorly handled interaction"

Former Employee - Producer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Producer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You come in to work. Suddenly Slack stops working; email stops working. You cant get into your office. That's how you learn that your role no longer exists, and there was no feedback prior to that moment.

Cons

No transparency. Poor performance feedback, Dominated by overseas offices

Advice to Management

Think before asking tech serve to turn everything off...feedback properly

"Wasnt worth staying, corrupt top to bottom"

Former Employee - Art Team Support Role in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Art Team Support Role in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be some solid employees from other places, lifers were problematic

Cons

Previous Leadership set a gold standard for personal gain and shady practices. Studio was soaked in negativity.
    Radio personalities as Studio leads, expect presentation but you need to supply them with content else they are clueless. As they say trash in trash out.
    Dodgy finance leadership, creative use of petty cash.
    Tech Directors looking to hide away in tidy bonuses and clueless as to process and modern implementations.
    Long serving art leads not really suitable for a jnr positions.
    Huge emphasis on year end tax rebates.. hmm wonder who benefits there then?

Advice to Management

Honestly shut it down and cut your losses, look up the owners of the studio you should have bought and let them rebuild a good team and future for you.

"Don't Believe The Hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of clubs, its all about the clubs! Basically if you want a job that you can phone it in, then this is the place for you! I have never seen so much patting of the back and self glorification. Talking about being a "Triple A Studio" maybe the studio is but the games are not.

Cons

Too focused on being the "cool studio" instead of producing a quality console game.
    Shady firings after the last title shipped absolutely no loyalty to it's employees.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and promoting your friends from failed studios. Stop spamming social media your propaganda (you have so many openings because people cant leave fast enough) Pay the people doing the work better.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio is always actively trying to improve. It's a positive place to work and there's a focus on quality over quantity.

Cons

I feel like the problems Capcom has are pretty standard for most game dev studios. There are a lot of negative reviews on here and I'm not too sure why. Anything I'd complain about would be nitpicking.

"animator"

Former Employee - Animator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Animator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and projects
    Yearly reviews and wage increases
    Great work hours
    Great benefits

Cons

Creek floods regularly and cars have to be moved or they will be under water.

Birds poop on the cars everyday.

"Capcom is an industry stain"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Good talented peeps
    A few events

Cons

Can't make games other than the only 1 they've done over the last 10 years
    Worst management ever, they've been losing all their talents because they would all be outshined by their Seniors or Leads.. they would even fire the ones with larger experience... We've lost 3 Leads and 4 or 5 Seniors during the course of the year... Yet, same management team driving pour quality games...
    Pay is way lower than any standards...

Advice to Management

Stay true to yourselves... Maybe in 20 years from now you'll be able to ship a PS3 quality game!!!

9. "On the way to become the best studio in town"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Old Reviews are probably outdated and misleading, with new management I can see a company I can grow with.

Food And Drinks
    - Birthday cakes for everyone at the end of month
    - Monday morning bagels
    - Free coffee and tea
    - Occasional free snacks for everyone

Studio Culture
    - Studio direction is transparent, Studio Director share via all-hands meeting every Friday.
    - Generally Positive.

Management
    - I met CEO in person; he told our team in a meeting something like:" I believe you guys can make a great product, but if you do run into obstacles or need help just let me know."
    - We can talk to studio director whenever he is available; he shares with everyone who talks to him why he made some decisions, transparent.

Co-workers:
    - colleagues in my team are talented.
    - Working hard together, play hard together. Real sense of a TEAM

Product:
    - Quality driven

Cons

- Current Location floods when rain and overwhelmed by crow crap during nightfall, but moving to a great location this May.

Advice to Management

I believe senior management is doing a good job. As an employee, I do share the vision for the road ahead of us. Keep up the good work!

"Not Bad, but Not Good Either"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Great co-workers with a good attitude. Great benefits, good work/life balance (outside of the world team), solid IP with which to draw from.

Cons

No accountability for management means all blame gets placed on lower level employees and people that leave. There's a patented inability for management to see past 2 weeks into the future, this leads to a predictable panic around every milestone. No 360 reviews mean bad managers stay there and more bad decisions get made.

There is no honest feedback to be had. One moment everything is fine, the next moment you're reassigned with no explanation except for a spontaneous bad review come bonus time.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming old management for problems that still plague the studio. Begin real 360 reviews, identify weak leaders.

Get a vision holder for your projects, one that can hold people accountable for meeting that vision. The design by committee approach only ensures that every department has a different vision of what you are making.