Capcom Vancouver Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Mr. Kiichiro Urata

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio is always actively trying to improve. It's a positive place to work and there's a focus on quality over quantity.

Cons

I feel like the problems Capcom has are pretty standard for most game dev studios. There are a lot of negative reviews on here and I'm not too sure why. Anything I'd complain about would be nitpicking.

"Good Brand, Mismanaged."

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some really great people.

-Occasional fun company events such as bbqs.

-Lots of autonomy, which is also a negative given number of poor work submissions with no oversight.

-Decent location, will be moving to new location.

Cons

-Incredibly Political. If you aren't in the inner circle or good at talking yourself into the inner circle, you can forget getting a decent raise or a promotion. It is essentially EA, nepotism is the standard operating procedure.

-Management is completely out of touch with anything that is going on with the dev teams, and the GM is more concerned with polishing his own image over producing good games.

-Bleeds talent. The talented people leave and given poor company reputation, have to settle for sub par hires.

-People are rarely held accountable for poor performance.

-Thinking is that hiring a dozen more project managers might help spur production from poor performers.

-Revolving door policy. Multiple cases of people who quit and return, receiving promotions and raises each time. Creates a resentful atmosphere and gives long term employees no reason to remain loyal.

-Low pay compared to every other big studio in Vancouver. Makes it difficult to retain or attract talented people.

-Very little company culture. No interaction with Capcom Japan, do not think you will be able to try Capcom Japan tech or use their assets.

Advice to Management

Hard to imagine changes at this point. When comparing products Capcom Vancouver has produced to products rival big studios produce in Vancouver, that ought to be enough for management to realize they need to improve, but that is unlikely to happen. The poor reviews of Capcom Vancouver on Glassdoor sound like broken records because even though executive leadership has changed, the same problems remain. Do not be fooled by shilling 5 star reviews from Producers and Community Managers. Who wouldn't be happy to be paid to do nothing?

"Capcom is an industry stain"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Good talented peeps
    A few events

Cons

Can't make games other than the only 1 they've done over the last 10 years
    Worst management ever, they've been losing all their talents because they would all be outshined by their Seniors or Leads.. they would even fire the ones with larger experience... We've lost 3 Leads and 4 or 5 Seniors during the course of the year... Yet, same management team driving pour quality games...
    Pay is way lower than any standards...

Advice to Management

Stay true to yourselves... Maybe in 20 years from now you'll be able to ship a PS3 quality game!!!

"After working at Capcom Vancouver for roughly a year..."

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, great products, fun culture, clear and honest communication from the Studio Director (who is about as genuine as it gets), supportive work environment.

Cons

Location (far from Metro Vancouver), occasionally unclear titles and hierarchy. Still too early to give a fair assessment of cons.

Advice to Management

Executive management is good. Pay closer attention to senior/high level managers and the way they interact with their teams.

"Great Company, Lots of Transparency"

Pros

The best part about it is how inclusive they are. No matter which project celebrates a milestone or wrap, the whole studio is invited to join in for drinks and celebration. Outside of that, day-to-day work is challenging and exciting, and my teammates are positive.

Capcom is socially diverse, with interest groups in playing music, sports, board games, and more. There's a video game lounge and pub for people to drink and play, and beers are $2-3. Food is also a big part at Capcom, with weekly bagels, daily fruit, cake day, and the volunteer social committee planning a food/social event every month.

Cons

Like most studios, crunch time can be tough. We'll work long hours and weekends, but will be given comp time after a milestone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the weekly studio meetings. You're transparent, and hold yourselves accountable for the changes you announce and put into action. I'm a fan of your open door policy.

6. "On the way to become the best studio in town"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Old Reviews are probably outdated and misleading, with new management I can see a company I can grow with.

Food And Drinks
    - Birthday cakes for everyone at the end of month
    - Monday morning bagels
    - Free coffee and tea
    - Occasional free snacks for everyone

Studio Culture
    - Studio direction is transparent, Studio Director share via all-hands meeting every Friday.
    - Generally Positive.

Management
    - I met CEO in person; he told our team in a meeting something like:" I believe you guys can make a great product, but if you do run into obstacles or need help just let me know."
    - We can talk to studio director whenever he is available; he shares with everyone who talks to him why he made some decisions, transparent.

Co-workers:
    - colleagues in my team are talented.
    - Working hard together, play hard together. Real sense of a TEAM

Product:
    - Quality driven

Cons

- Current Location floods when rain and overwhelmed by crow crap during nightfall, but moving to a great location this May.

Advice to Management

I believe senior management is doing a good job. As an employee, I do share the vision for the road ahead of us. Keep up the good work!

"Not Bad, but Not Good Either"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Great co-workers with a good attitude. Great benefits, good work/life balance (outside of the world team), solid IP with which to draw from.

Cons

No accountability for management means all blame gets placed on lower level employees and people that leave. There's a patented inability for management to see past 2 weeks into the future, this leads to a predictable panic around every milestone. No 360 reviews mean bad managers stay there and more bad decisions get made.

There is no honest feedback to be had. One moment everything is fine, the next moment you're reassigned with no explanation except for a spontaneous bad review come bonus time.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming old management for problems that still plague the studio. Begin real 360 reviews, identify weak leaders.

Get a vision holder for your projects, one that can hold people accountable for meeting that vision. The design by committee approach only ensures that every department has a different vision of what you are making.

"Great People, Interesting product, not great location"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really smart people working at Capcom - I have learned a lot from my years working there. As a studio they really know how to make their product (Dead Rising) and they are trying to diversify. The AAA space they aspire to be in is hard - big investments for hopefully a big reward.

Cons

I'm worried about their ability to make profitable. There franchise has never been an economic powerhouse so they really have to watch expenses.

"Need to try harder"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Lot's of great social activities. If you like BBQ's, poker, or hockey they've got a group that does it. Board games are popular at lunch.
    Moving to a new office beside sky train so you won't have to walk through floods to get to work.
    Some great talented co-workers who are fun to work with.
    A good place to get experience in the game industry.

Cons

The pay is low for Vancouver. They try and tell you they pay average but people are constantly leaving for better paying jobs even at small indy studios. Spent the last year interviewing people that we can't hire because they always choose to go somewhere else for more money. Many senior staff have recently left. If you can't pay competitive salary be honest and try to make up with other things like more vacation and stocks.
    New management took over last year and it was looking better with some new projects but they don't know how to make games and are constantly changing their minds. They talk big plans but don't have have a clue how to make it happen.
    Don't have budget to make triple A games. Teams are a 20% the size of triple A teams at other studios. Management tells you to work smarter and gives pep talk and makes a joke with no real solution. Unrealistic expectation about what can be done so they end up changing design and throwing away work when they realize game can't be made.
    Overtime was very bad for two years on some projects

Advice to Management

If you want to make AAA games you need to invest. What was the last good game Capcom made? Stop trying to make AAA games on A budget. Make best single A game you can.
    Pay people what they're worth in Vancouver. Don't lie and say you pay average wages when everyone knows you don't. If you look at bonus and stock at other places you can make 50% more.
    You need to listen to what your team says. They have good ideas if you give them time and resources they need to make the game.
    I want Capcom to succeed and make great games but it needs to make major changes for that to happen. Capcom is slowly dying and you need to make changes.

"Political"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some talented people there. Benefits are pretty decent. They do a lot of social activities for the employees. BBQ's and such.

Cons

Management is very poor. They lack communication amongst management. This has made some very talented people leave to go elsewhere. The very disorganized management is really hurting the dev team, and morale.

Advice to Management

Have accountability when errors are made, make proactive decisions when a problem arises, communicate with one another, come up with a strategy so there is no overlap or conflicting styles of management. Get organized.