Capcom Vancouver Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Mr. Kiichiro Urata

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"One of the best places to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My favorite thing about Capcom is my co-workers. They are awesome and always willing to help. In human related things, they are mostly as good as tech (coding, ...) things.

Cons

I think I need more time to see the cons!

"Best job or greatest job?"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Summary:
    - great culture
    - actual work life balance
    - great management team
    - transparent studio
    - staff treated with respect
    - great projects that are still secret

This is my fifth role in the gaming industry and the environment at Capcom Vancouver is by far the best I've experienced. From the very start this has been an enjoyable experience.

The hiring process was quick and relatively easy. The studio respected my time and treated me as a professional, which is surprisingly uncommon in the industry at times. Salary negotiations were quick and easy and benefits are equal to the best I've seen.

Everyone here is excited and glad to be working on great projects. If there are people complaining about work on their lunch hour or over drinks afterwards I haven't seen it. There's a great deal of respect and friendliness when dealing with other staff. It's an egoless environment that extends down from the top of the studio down. People are proud of their work and their contribution but they don't seem to be in the habit of putting down other's ideas to prop their own up.

There's a definite focus on diversity at the studio. While like most places in the industry it still struggles in some areas, it's not the standard "boys club" or frat house that some studios can be.

There's a great deal of social activities and clubs to join in, so making friends can happen quickly.

The studio makes time for that work-life balance they talk so much about. I've been at jobs where despite all the promises of work/life balance and the recruitment sales pitch about them being different they expect a 10+ hour work day on an ongoing basis. While I understand that "crunch time" is a part of the industry, too many studios expect that to be an ongoing thing. Capcom is the first studio I've ever worked at where after an 8 hour work day my manager told me to go home.

Cons

Summary:
    - commuting sucks
    - lack of nearby restaurants

I'm not a fan of the commute. While this is also the case with EA, and may not be the case for you, getting to Burnaby everyday in traffic is a pain. There is access to the Skytrain nearby, which may help you.

There's not much in the way of food around here. McDonald's. Do you like that? Otherwise there's some places in the buildings nearby but not much. A drive can get you to more choices.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Everything seems to be going good, and so far this has been my best experience in the industry.

"After working at Capcom Vancouver for roughly a year..."

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, great products, fun culture, clear and honest communication from the Studio Director (who is about as genuine as it gets), supportive work environment.

Cons

Location (far from Metro Vancouver), occasionally unclear titles and hierarchy. Still too early to give a fair assessment of cons.

Advice to Management

Executive management is good. Pay closer attention to senior/high level managers and the way they interact with their teams.

"Great Company, Lots of Transparency"

Pros

The best part about it is how inclusive they are. No matter which project celebrates a milestone or wrap, the whole studio is invited to join in for drinks and celebration. Outside of that, day-to-day work is challenging and exciting, and my teammates are positive.

Capcom is socially diverse, with interest groups in playing music, sports, board games, and more. There's a video game lounge and pub for people to drink and play, and beers are $2-3. Food is also a big part at Capcom, with weekly bagels, daily fruit, cake day, and the volunteer social committee planning a food/social event every month.

Cons

Like most studios, crunch time can be tough. We'll work long hours and weekends, but will be given comp time after a milestone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the weekly studio meetings. You're transparent, and hold yourselves accountable for the changes you announce and put into action. I'm a fan of your open door policy.

5. "On the way to become the best studio in town"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Old Reviews are probably outdated and misleading, with new management I can see a company I can grow with.

Food And Drinks
    - Birthday cakes for everyone at the end of month
    - Monday morning bagels
    - Free coffee and tea
    - Occasional free snacks for everyone

Studio Culture
    - Studio direction is transparent, Studio Director share via all-hands meeting every Friday.
    - Generally Positive.

Management
    - I met CEO in person; he told our team in a meeting something like:" I believe you guys can make a great product, but if you do run into obstacles or need help just let me know."
    - We can talk to studio director whenever he is available; he shares with everyone who talks to him why he made some decisions, transparent.

Co-workers:
    - colleagues in my team are talented.
    - Working hard together, play hard together. Real sense of a TEAM

Product:
    - Quality driven

Cons

- Current Location floods when rain and overwhelmed by crow crap during nightfall, but moving to a great location this May.

Advice to Management

I believe senior management is doing a good job. As an employee, I do share the vision for the road ahead of us. Keep up the good work!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio is always actively trying to improve. It's a positive place to work and there's a focus on quality over quantity.

Cons

I feel like the problems Capcom has are pretty standard for most game dev studios. There are a lot of negative reviews on here and I'm not too sure why. Anything I'd complain about would be nitpicking.

"Capcom"

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Team is great, good atmosphere, leadership is solid, very proactive learning environment.

Cons

unhappy atmosphere in another team bring down the moral of the studio. excessive meetings..

"A young studio hungry to make great games under the Capcom umbrella"

Current Employee - Level Designer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Level Designer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Project Management that listens to the needs of the content creators and works with them to create a logical path to success
    - Creative design staff that works together with all departments to acheive success
    - Ability to put forth ideas and have them heard/considered from all departments
    - Development process that allows individual areas to own their design and be able to work with other departments to fultill their development needs.
    - Just as with everything in life - you only get out of the job what you put into it. If you are willing to do the work to put forth creative, inventive ideas and motivate people around you to your cause, you'll do extremely well at Capcom Vancouver. If you are lazy and expect that opportunities fall in your lap, then this is not the place for you.
    - Tech plans are in place to improve and be in a competitive position for the impending console upgrades.
    - Studio is located in a quiet area.
    - There's a lunch club and other clubs to be a part of such as board games.

Cons

- Upper layers of company management too involved in the development process
    - Too many people in places where they shouldn't be
    - Not enough mentorship and studio training for the things that matter
    - Too much emphasis on becoming "managerial" in work style rather than working in a relaxed mode during creative stages of development
    - Far too great an emphasis on software engineers and technical experts due to the lack of commitment to use external engines for development, however, this is turning around and there is a plan in place to improve it.
    - The studio is still quite young and has not attracted enough seasoned talent to make a true AAA experience come together.
    - There is and will always be political strife in every job, but this one has had me face-palming more times than I care to remember. When the wrong people are in the wrong positions making the wrong decisions because someone somewhere decided they should be there. - that's when things go bad, morale goes down the toilet and the project(s) suffer because of it.
    - Culture is strange, with huge emphasis on over the top Halloween dress-up parties, Cancer research funding to the max and special outings that a select few care about. There is little to no talk of games, or the industry at large which leads to most people having little to no knowledge of the state of the industry that our products are being released to succeed in.
    - No dedicated video game lounge on site for playing games. Not a whole lot of encouragement to buy systems or play games in disciplines other than design.

Advice to Management

- Settle on a final technical solution that can be achieved iin the shortest turn-around time possible.
    - If you're going to go after high-calibur talent, the goal should be to hire them, not bring them onsite to hum and hah about whether or not they're better than our current staff.
    - Understand that you can't build a true AAA game without first acquiring the talent to be able to do so. Yes there are a lof ot talented people at the company, but there are a few VERY KEY roles that need attention.

"Transitioning to a medium sized game studio; improving but still a long way to go"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Got a start up vibe to it
    - Open environment
    - Software engineers sit with directors/project managers, good interaction
    - Fun, lots of parties

Cons

- Messy management, takes weeks to come up with a team shuffling plan while most employees turned into gloried youtubers at work
    - Pay on the low end

Advice to Management

Plan ahead of time

"working hard to improve"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

talented staff
    new leadership is committed to change
    big opportunities for the future
    great benefits and fun environment
    great catalog of IP

Cons

lots of legacy from the past to overcome
    previous management made poor decisions that the current team is still recovering from
    need to make investment is tools & engine

Advice to Management

stay the course, you are on the right path