Capcom Vancouver Reviews | Glassdoor

Capcom Vancouver Reviews

Updated July 30, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "On the way to become the best studio in town"

Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Producer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Old Reviews are probably outdated and misleading, with new management I can see a company I can grow with.

Food And Drinks
    - Birthday cakes for everyone at the end of month
    - Monday morning bagels
    - Free coffee and tea
    - Occasional free snacks for everyone

Studio Culture
    - Studio direction is transparent, Studio Director share via all-hands meeting every Friday.
    - Generally Positive.

Management
    - I met CEO in person; he told our team in a meeting something like:" I believe you guys can make a great product, but if you do run into obstacles or need help just let me know."
    - We can talk to studio director whenever he is available; he shares with everyone who talks to him why he made some decisions, transparent.

Co-workers:
    - colleagues in my team are talented.
    - Working hard together, play hard together. Real sense of a TEAM

Product:
    - Quality driven

Cons

- Current Location floods when rain and overwhelmed by crow crap during nightfall, but moving to a great location this May.

Advice to Management

I believe senior management is doing a good job. As an employee, I do share the vision for the road ahead of us. Keep up the good work!

"Not Bad, but Not Good Either"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Great co-workers with a good attitude. Great benefits, good work/life balance (outside of the world team), solid IP with which to draw from.

Cons

No accountability for management means all blame gets placed on lower level employees and people that leave. There's a patented inability for management to see past 2 weeks into the future, this leads to a predictable panic around every milestone. No 360 reviews mean bad managers stay there and more bad decisions get made.

There is no honest feedback to be had. One moment everything is fine, the next moment you're reassigned with no explanation except for a spontaneous bad review come bonus time.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming old management for problems that still plague the studio. Begin real 360 reviews, identify weak leaders.

Get a vision holder for your projects, one that can hold people accountable for meeting that vision. The design by committee approach only ensures that every department has a different vision of what you are making.

"Great People, Interesting product, not great location"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really smart people working at Capcom - I have learned a lot from my years working there. As a studio they really know how to make their product (Dead Rising) and they are trying to diversify. The AAA space they aspire to be in is hard - big investments for hopefully a big reward.

Cons

I'm worried about their ability to make profitable. There franchise has never been an economic powerhouse so they really have to watch expenses.

"Need to try harder"

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Lot's of great social activities. If you like BBQ's, poker, or hockey they've got a group that does it. Board games are popular at lunch.
    Moving to a new office beside sky train so you won't have to walk through floods to get to work.
    Some great talented co-workers who are fun to work with.
    A good place to get experience in the game industry.

Cons

The pay is low for Vancouver. They try and tell you they pay average but people are constantly leaving for better paying jobs even at small indy studios. Spent the last year interviewing people that we can't hire because they always choose to go somewhere else for more money. Many senior staff have recently left. If you can't pay competitive salary be honest and try to make up with other things like more vacation and stocks.
    New management took over last year and it was looking better with some new projects but they don't know how to make games and are constantly changing their minds. They talk big plans but don't have have a clue how to make it happen.
    Don't have budget to make triple A games. Teams are a 20% the size of triple A teams at other studios. Management tells you to work smarter and gives pep talk and makes a joke with no real solution. Unrealistic expectation about what can be done so they end up changing design and throwing away work when they realize game can't be made.
    Overtime was very bad for two years on some projects

Advice to Management

If you want to make AAA games you need to invest. What was the last good game Capcom made? Stop trying to make AAA games on A budget. Make best single A game you can.
    Pay people what they're worth in Vancouver. Don't lie and say you pay average wages when everyone knows you don't. If you look at bonus and stock at other places you can make 50% more.
    You need to listen to what your team says. They have good ideas if you give them time and resources they need to make the game.
    I want Capcom to succeed and make great games but it needs to make major changes for that to happen. Capcom is slowly dying and you need to make changes.

"Good studio but average quality"

Former Employee - Game Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Game Artist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are nice
    It is considered a AAA studio
    BBQs on the deck
    Nice in office pub

Cons

The leadership is bad
    The tech is bad
    Overtime can be rough
    Hope you like zombie games becsuse thats all you will do.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees reviews concerning their leads. The game engine needs to be scrapped and replaced with current tech.

"Political"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some talented people there. Benefits are pretty decent. They do a lot of social activities for the employees. BBQ's and such.

Cons

Management is very poor. They lack communication amongst management. This has made some very talented people leave to go elsewhere. The very disorganized management is really hurting the dev team, and morale.

Advice to Management

Have accountability when errors are made, make proactive decisions when a problem arises, communicate with one another, come up with a strategy so there is no overlap or conflicting styles of management. Get organized.

"Great people, but no career growth"

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time

Pros

Lots of experienced staff who are willing to help others.
    Friendly and approachable people.
    Many teams for recreational activities such as board games, soccer, hockey, skiing/snowboarding, and cycling.

Cons

Actionable feedback for career growth is hard to get.
    Management strongly supports white knight syndrome and assumes anyone who is not always crunching overtime as being lazy or negligent. Lieu time is heavily dictated by how much overtime someone does, not by what they contribute to the project.
    Near constant crunch for months.
    Lower pay than the industry standard for most positions.
    Many staff deserving of promotions did not receive one and left because of that. They were then replaced by people with the title and position they should have been promoted into.

Advice to Management

Management is so fixated on the studio's outward appearance they haven't fixed the internal problems. Fix those first and your staff will help fix the company's reputation in the city.
    Promoting more than 5-8 deserving staff per year will keep talent in the studio.
    Provide people with meaningful feedback and help them with their careers.

"Best job or greatest job?"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Summary:
    - great culture
    - actual work life balance
    - great management team
    - transparent studio
    - staff treated with respect
    - great projects that are still secret

This is my fifth role in the gaming industry and the environment at Capcom Vancouver is by far the best I've experienced. From the very start this has been an enjoyable experience.

The hiring process was quick and relatively easy. The studio respected my time and treated me as a professional, which is surprisingly uncommon in the industry at times. Salary negotiations were quick and easy and benefits are equal to the best I've seen.

Everyone here is excited and glad to be working on great projects. If there are people complaining about work on their lunch hour or over drinks afterwards I haven't seen it. There's a great deal of respect and friendliness when dealing with other staff. It's an egoless environment that extends down from the top of the studio down. People are proud of their work and their contribution but they don't seem to be in the habit of putting down other's ideas to prop their own up.

There's a definite focus on diversity at the studio. While like most places in the industry it still struggles in some areas, it's not the standard "boys club" or frat house that some studios can be.

There's a great deal of social activities and clubs to join in, so making friends can happen quickly.

The studio makes time for that work-life balance they talk so much about. I've been at jobs where despite all the promises of work/life balance and the recruitment sales pitch about them being different they expect a 10+ hour work day on an ongoing basis. While I understand that "crunch time" is a part of the industry, too many studios expect that to be an ongoing thing. Capcom is the first studio I've ever worked at where after an 8 hour work day my manager told me to go home.

Cons

Summary:
    - commuting sucks
    - lack of nearby restaurants

I'm not a fan of the commute. While this is also the case with EA, and may not be the case for you, getting to Burnaby everyday in traffic is a pain. There is access to the Skytrain nearby, which may help you.

There's not much in the way of food around here. McDonald's. Do you like that? Otherwise there's some places in the buildings nearby but not much. A drive can get you to more choices.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Everything seems to be going good, and so far this has been my best experience in the industry.

"Struggling to keep up..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Capcom backing
    - Has shipped good titles in the past
    - Easy work life balance
    - Has many smart programmers
    - If your idea of team events is the odd free team lunch this is the place for you.

Cons

- High hopes, but the studio is struggling to keep up.
    - Switch to unreal happening, but that won't fix bad design churn and decision making.
    - Place has had a lot of management changes, not necessarily for the better. Too many producers and project managers pulling the strings.
    - A lot of political games, little to no room for growth.
    - little focus on polish and "A"quality results.

Advice to Management

Transparency is good, but following through with results is what matters the most.

"Great people to work with, but very poor leadership, little mentorship leads to poor career growth..."

I worked at Capcom Vancouver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team collaboration, some good additions to company lately, process changes have helped in how development cycle is being done...

Cons

However, upper management leadership does not lead correctly. Very little to no mentorship that leads to no promotions. Lots of internal politics. Poor planning keeps leading to quick reaction changes...

Advice to Management

Start believing in your own people instead of writing them off so easily. Mentor properly! Plan properly! And make sure some people in higher directorial positions are actually doing their jobs!