Cape Fear Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cape Fear Community College President Amanda K. Lee
Amanda K. Lee

1. "Very friendly people who will reach out and help you when needed"

Current Employee - Community College Instructor/Continuing Education in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cape Fear Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good paid leave and flexible time off. Very friendly staff. Easy going work environment that also maintains a professional side to ensuring student and employee success

Cons

Opportunity for advancement and pay increases for instructors. There needs to be pay increases for those who reach certain milestones such as 5 year marks or ten year mark employment with the college

Advice to Management

Find ways to retain long term faculty

2. "Love working with students, but not a supportive environment"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cape Fear Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with an interesting and diverse group of students, making a positive impact on students' lives, and working in Downtown Wilmington

Cons

Far behind in relation to certain technologies (e-printing, electronic human resources forms like contracts and leave slips, etc.); "culture of no" in which new or innovative suggestions are usually dismissed immediately without discussion or research; poor communication campus wide; Board of Trustees has too much control over certain areas (like the academic calendar) and doesn't value faculty input; and poor staff/faculty morale.

Advice to Management

Listen to faculty and staff more, and act on what they convey; be willing to discuss/research new ideas and innovations; update certain areas with regard to technology; and work to increase morale

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Adult Basic Education Instructor in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Adult Basic Education Instructor in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cape Fear Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the students is very rewarding.

Cons

The administration and management leave a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Create cohesion and build closer team relationships with your staff.

5. "Custodians"

Former Employee - Custodial Worker in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Custodial Worker in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Cape Fear Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people nice atmosphere there

Cons

No one looking over your shoulder

Advice to Management

N/a

6. "Wonderful Workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cape Fear Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture
    Great communication between employees

Cons

Change in management slowed down the process of projects and promotions

7. "Electrician/Handyman. Current Student @ Cape Fear Community College"

Current Employee - Part-time Student At C F C C Electrical Mechanic in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cape Fear Community College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been attending Cape Fear the past year, through the present. Great school! I am trying to get my Associates Degree in Computer Integrated Technologies. In the mean time I do all/any types of electrical jobs through my Uncle and a best friend from high-school that has his electrical license every chance I get. I have also worked in retail/cash register, tree service, US Waterproofing, and roofing years ago. I really want a job that is indoors after working in extreme cold/hot weather for years, need an inside job with benefits. I am still going to finish school and get my degree. Lowes is a place that i would possibly consider staying with after i receive my degree. I have always wanted to work in the "Electrical Section" at Lowe's. Furthermore, I would take any part-time position while attending C.F.C.C..

Cons

The only downside about going to school/college is that i can not work full time. If i was not in school, I would want a full time position.

Advice to Management

I would be best at working in the "Electrical Section", if i were to be hired. I know about length, width, and most every thing about types, sizes, and uses for all types of wood. I pretty much know where almost everything is in the store. I am great with working and helping the customer gladly, with a smile on my face as always. I have over 18 years experience in electrical work.

"Ol' boy network becomes ol' girl network"

Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Any person of any age can get low-cost education and career assistance.

Cons

Changeover in management is major step backwards. Too many people in authority are new to position or school and are repeating mistakes of past-- certainly not learning from history. Good Ol Boy network is replaced by Good Ol Girl network. Hiring is based on politics and favors owed. Very discouraging to be on outside of the clique.

Advice to Management

Hire people based on what they will do for the students, not on who they know.

"Clerical Support"

Former Employee - Clerical Support in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Clerical Support in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Cape Fear Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The business office had a great team, fun people to work with. It was a small office with the chance to get to know everyone in different departments.

Cons

Usual government budgeting problems; low pay, little or no raises. The small nature of the office(s) limited career growth and advancement.

"Low Moral Low pay"

Former Employee - Student Service in Hampstead, NC
    Former Employee - Student Service in Hampstead, NC

I worked at Cape Fear Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are wonderful
    Flexible if needed - depending on who you work for

Cons

Very Low pay, Very low Moral, Front line workers are overwhelmed and support is not there. Seems all they care about is VP's and above.

"Staff/Administration at CFCC"

Current Employee - Administration in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Administration in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cape Fear Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive environment generally, although some departments have more politics and "personalities" than others. State employee benefits-good but not what they used to be.

Cons

Doesn't pay market rates for a given position v/s private companies, however that is fairly tightly controlled by the state community college system. you have to basically get a promotion to get a raise.

Advice to Management

Fight to be more competitive with the job market to get the best people available. Try to get control of the amount of turnover at middle and upper management.