Capella University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Gilligan

Pros
  • They have a very good sense of work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Work from home, good supervisors, good communication between everyone (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Now it's just a call center with a bunch of managers looking at numbers (in 10 reviews)

• They deserve to occupy cubicles, just like the full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

1. "Instructional Designer"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, fun, fast-paced, professional setting

Cons

Little room for upward growth

Advice to Management

More opportunities for team building and professional development would be ideal. As noted in the cons, there is little room for upward (or even lateral) growth due to small company size.

2. "Turning into Phoenix"

I worked at Capella University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some decent students and colleagues

Cons

Loss of academic rigor and sense of urgency. Treating students like customers similar to online diploma mills(look at current investigations).

Advice to Management

Be good and small rather than the next Kaplan suckling off the teat of student loans and veterans.

"Living up to the hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The outward offerings are well designed for UX. Diversity encouraged. Great co-workers. Female leaders, even in IT. Project/ Goal oriented.

Cons

Smallest work cubicles have ever seen. The drive to extract profits ride on employees backs, especially those that are not student facing (customer service).

Advice to Management

Stop managing for this quarter's dividends, and look to the future. Live up to the documents that are published online regarding 'working at Capella'. Creating a sweatshop is driving great people away.

5. "CU"

Current Employee - Psychology Teaching Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Psychology Teaching Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Capella University (Less than a year)

Pros

Warm, caring, positive, helpful, leadership

Cons

none, none, none, none, none

"More Business than Education"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Capella University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Options for remote if you advise, people are amazing, fun and creative, some of the best people I know. I truly enjoy my job and love my team. The environment can be friendly, and very work hard to play hard. Capella is a very young place to work, mostly Millennials. Good vacation time and nice pay.

Cons

Take your Masters in Education and forget it because none of your leaders have any idea about Educational Theory or student service backgrounds, most will have an MBA. probably from Capella. Advising uses the GROW model, or transformative advising methods, not totally bad, but your calls are listened to and you are scored based on a model that is not meant for advising adults. Many students do not have appropriate skills to be in a graduate program and faculty and advisors are expected to help learners through this. Enrollment is amazing, but they honestly enroll anyone.

Advice to Management

Stop creating Bachelor's programs, other for-profits are being investigated due to shady Bachelor programs. Set the bar higher for your students, have pride in your programs! If you want good Gainful Employment numbers, attract better students. Bring actual Student Service leaders into your teams, I find it very annoying that my supervisor can tell me stats on my calls but has no clue about actual student services, and it it is student services, not customer services...telling me about my numbers is not transforming me as an advisor.

7. "I love it here"

Pros

Great people, work life balance is stressed, downtown location

Cons

sometimes the work can be monotonous

"Professional development non existent"

Former Employee - Corporate IT Systems and Applications Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bus pass discount saved hassle for driving and parking in downtown. More holidays because it's part of education system. Skyway saved walking outside during winter to get to some cheap lunch places. Employee education tuition is free but other charges are not, taxation limit as well on how many classes per year.

Cons

Very clique oriented place. Many managers showed favoritism. They did not have any professional development plans and mentoring program. The ones they favor got promoted even with lack of experience and skills. I.T. managers did not know SDLC, capability models and development methodologies. All was driven by stock price, no bonus during the entire year including holiday. Managers gave no explanation on 1% merit annual increase, they were lying that everyone got 1%.

Advice to Management

Many of you are unqualified. IT department has many people without real experiences and job skills. You made thing looks good on surface only. Show something with a real purpose and value your day to day workers that make your business staying alive.

9. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Financial Aid Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Representative

I worked at Capella University full-time

Pros

Great work culture and atmosphere! Easy to ways to get involved in a variety of committees. Management really wants to help you and see you succeed.

Cons

Back-to-back phone calls can be exhausting but the co-workers help to make it great and your supervisors understand what you are going through.

10. "Pretty good company overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Engaged leadership with strong focus on innovation
    - Upscale building and office amenities
    - Great area with lots to do around it
    - Decent pay and benefits
    - Good HR support
    - Tech savvy employee population
    - Enthusiastic employees who care about mission
    - An honest for-profit college that cares about quality education which is not true of all schools in this industry
    - Good work-life balance

Cons

- Many entry-level employees don't have a clear focus for their career path or guidance from supervisors
    - Being in the heart of the city makes rush hour difficult

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. Also, do what you can to share how the company is successful. When you peek behind the curtain as an employee, you see that it's an honest company that cares about education and requires persistence from learners in order to be successful. This is a stark contrast to some shady for-profits out there. Try to distinguish yourself as a for-profit that is NOT a diploma mill

"Depends on your manager"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Capella University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-moving and entrepreneurial environment -- quick decisions, quick turn-around time, less time mired in group consensus decision-by-committee.

Cons

I had one of my best managers at Capella, and also some of my worst -- but that could happen anywhere.
    Even though it's education, it feels very corporate because it is publicly held. This causes an environment of sacrificing employees for the sake of the almighty dollar. I wonder about the ethics of some of the practices.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like assets. You're starting to learn the value of retaining learners because it is less expensive to retain than recruit -- now apply that to your employees.