Capelli NY Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
George Altirs

"No room for growth"

I worked at Capelli NY full-time

Pros

- Good people to work with
    -Flexibility

Cons

-No room for growth
    -No annual reviews
    -Poor hourly rate

Advice to Management

-Older staff aren't always right

"Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Product Design Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Design Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Likes to hire entry level recent grads, but this is so they can offer lowest salary. Still a pro if your straight out of school and need a first job because you will learn the DVP process
    - Big showroom
    - Annual Reviews

Cons

- Long hours (depending on what team your on) supposed to be 9-6 but most of us stay till 7-8 bc upper management will keep piling work on top of you and except you to finish all in one day.
    - NO OVERTIME! (For design team) which is not fair bc we always stay late!
    - Micro managing to the fullest which makes it hard to grow
    - Design team floor looks like a sweatshop bc we are force to keep dusty bins of samples by our desk. And there's no space!
    - Easily get a cold bc they only vacuum once a month
    - CEO is really cheap he will make you use your own PTO in a state of emergency blizzard
    - HR doesn't take complaints they just email what CEO tells them too
    - Lots of managers are related to the CEO, so they treat employees like crap and will make you do personal errands for them.
    - Some managers will make you do all the work and take the credit for it.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and treat your employees with respect or people will keep leaving

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Production Associate in Moonachie, NJ
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Moonachie, NJ

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I took this job as a means to an end for a temporary time period.

Cons

Really long hours. Abusive upper management. Like everyone else mentioned - unless you are family, you will not advance here. Every team is managed by a member of the family OR a close friend so there's never any room for advancement there. I got interviewed at 9pm at night and it was the most rude experience. That should've been my first indication but I needed a job. I would not recommend working here. Pay is lower than entry level but they will have you thinking they did you a favor by offering the lowest of the low. Look elsewhere. Met a lot of nice people though but everyone is so drained and underappreciated, it's an oppressive environment.

"Nepotism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY (More than a year)

Pros

If someone from the owners family likes you, you will succeed here.

Free breakfast and lunches every other week

Summer Friday's every other Friday where you can leave at 2.... If you are finished with your work.

Cons

Low salaries and Horrible benefits

Most people in management positions are family members or friends who are unqualified. They do promote from within, but all departments are micromanaged by a family member so there is only so much you can do

No room for creative ideas as all they want you to do is rip off other companies artwork and products. It's a shame because they do have talented people that have great ideas if they were allowed to use them.

Constantly overwork employees and offer little support

No real HR. The HR dept is the CEOs secretary.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are actually qualified!

Free lunch every other week is nice but a better benefit package would make your employees happier.

Show you care about your employees by investing in them!

"avoid this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very small step into the fashion world I suppose, there is really nothing good I can say about this place. It was a start to finish awful professional experience.

Cons

Pour management, nepotism, little room for growth, pour work/life balance. This is one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a job. Capelli NY runs like a sweatshop and treats the employees like they are subhuman unless you are related to the family (which any in a position of authority is). Do not bother with the disaster.

Advice to Management

HAH... fire yourselves. Stop lying. Hire people NOT related too you.

"Great place to start out of college and grow"

Current Employee - Product Design Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Capelli NY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- recognize hard work
    - promote from within
    - great exposure to product design process early on
    - working on treating employees better with little things here and there
    - if you prove yourself you can move up the ladder very quickly - must be willing to work hard

Cons

- strict rules (for a reason), lazy people take advantage
    - not your modern day company with happy hours and free things everyday and days off. It is run very traditionally
    - the actual office is very dirty and messy
    - strict hours. must clock in at 9 and clock out at night even if you are on a salary

Advice to Management

Don't treat the people who work hard the same was as the people who don't work hard. Recognize where credit should be given. Just because an employee has been there 10 years doesn't mean they are doing much for you. Focus on how companies are changing with the times and try to change to accommodate employees needs. Give more holiday's off (especially time at Christmas)

7. "Vast growth opportunity and invaluable exposure with recognition for hard working employees."

Current Employee - Product Design Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Capelli NY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capelli provides an opportunity to be exposed to many aspects of the industry early on. I was told in my interview that if I wanted it, the sky was the limit and that has only proven to be true. They trust their employees and want you to succeed. This is demonstrated through their desire to promote within and give and even create new opportunities for their employees to succeed and grow.

Cons

There are strict rules at Capelli that have however proven to be successful. Capelli is a well oiled machine and each of its policies has a reason for being in place. Like many companies in this industry, it is hard work and the hours can be challenging at times but there are often rewards to how hard employees are working.

Advice to Management

Suggesting to be more flexible on the hours, especially in the slower summer months. If employees are working late and through lunch, there shouldn't be as much pressure to clock in by 9AM and it should be acceptable to leave earlier than 6PM if your work is done.

"Hell"

Current Employee - Production Assistant in East Rutherford, NJ
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in East Rutherford, NJ

I have been working at Capelli NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A huge workload that will look good on your resume when they throw you out on the street for asking for what you should already be getting paid for the work you do

Cons

Cold work environment, pay is terrible ( equivalent to a cashier's paycheck), no raises unless you are favored by management, no communication with manager, employees are not valued, zero potential for growth unless you are a man or of their race. They target recent grads because they know they can pay them pennies and it is difficult to find a job in the industry. Please keep looking these people will train you to do work that you should be getting paid triple for.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans... Because of our hard work you are rich... Also it is so obvious that every positive review on here comes from executives from this company because every employee I have ever met here is miserable regardless of their department.

"Beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Hackensack, NJ

Pros

Absolutely none. There is nothing positive I could say about this place. Every experience I had was awful while working with Capelli.

Cons

They treat their employees like slaves. There is absolutely no room for growth. They provide NO regular performance reviews and if you ask for a raise or to be reviewed then expect to either be fired or have a million emails from the owner himself pinpointing every time you glanced at your phone or punched in 2 minutes, 36.012 seconds late or had a snack at your desk (strictly prohibited at Capelli!) or made / accepted a personal phone call at your desk. Management treats you like a bug that needs to be squashed. If you have any intelligence whatsoever, consider your job in danger. The management at Capelli has been there for many years and they have NO plans of leaving. They will try their best to keep you down. In that cutthroat environment, you can expect no less. I can't even begin to imagine the things they had to do to get where they are in Capelli because if you're not family, it must be bad. I was FIRED from Capelli because my manager didn't like me. They sent someone in whom I'd never met before to tell me that I was being let go because of irreconcilable differences I had with my manager. I'd never had any differences with my manager. I was always very respectful and kind even though she made it clear to me that she pretty much hated me. I was there for exactly one year. They were all aware that I had 3 children at home depending on their single mother's income. When I filed for unemployment it was held up for 2 months while unemployment reviewed their disputes to my getting unemployment. Finally I received my unemployment but I went 2 months with NO income. It was awful.
    They intentionally hire under qualified candidates to fill positions because they have more leverage to treat and pay them poorly and everyone who works there suffers from it. If you're being hired for a position that doesn't suit you, please think twice!
    The office itself is disgusting. They've been "under construction" for 4 years now. The place is literally falling apart and in the year I was there I never saw even one repair or construction person making improvements.
    I will never forget the time that I brought a charger to work to charge my phone while I was at my desk. I just left the charger there as it was by my desk and not in use as there were several boxes biding the outlet. One day I came into work and noticed that someone had written on the wall with a sharpie right above the outlet that said "don't charge your phone here or I will take it." That was just funny. They resorted to graffiti!! How ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop posing and posting reviews of Capelli on this site. It is dreadfully obvious and deceitful. You are lying to people.

"Worst place to work — tou'd be better off as a barista at Starbucks"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was "required" to work one Saturday every month, but they provided free pizza. Ask yourself if free pizza is worth your Saturday with a bunch of obnoxious, inconsiderate people?

Cons

I'd need my own blog to express everything that is wrong with this company, but they are case study in how not to cultivate and retain good employees.
    Their salary is about 20 years behind living standards.
    Their managers and CEO and condescending ignoramuses.
    Probably the worse of all, they run the place like some kind of plant, where you are required to literally click in and out at 8:30, lunch time and end of day.
    Who clocks in and out for lunch? And they will have a word with you if you are, god forbid 5 minutes over.

Advice to Management

Post your position on Linked in, get someone qualified to relieve you of your duties.
    Go home and re-evaluate your miserable life.