Capelli NY Reviews | Glassdoor

George Altirs

"Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Product Design Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Design Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Likes to hire entry level recent grads, but this is so they can offer lowest salary. Still a pro if your straight out of school and need a first job because you will learn the DVP process
    - Big showroom
    - Annual Reviews

Cons

- Long hours (depending on what team your on) supposed to be 9-6 but most of us stay till 7-8 bc upper management will keep piling work on top of you and except you to finish all in one day.
    - NO OVERTIME! (For design team) which is not fair bc we always stay late!
    - Micro managing to the fullest which makes it hard to grow
    - Design team floor looks like a sweatshop bc we are force to keep dusty bins of samples by our desk. And there's no space!
    - Easily get a cold bc they only vacuum once a month
    - CEO is really cheap he will make you use your own PTO in a state of emergency blizzard
    - HR doesn't take complaints they just email what CEO tells them too
    - Lots of managers are related to the CEO, so they treat employees like crap and will make you do personal errands for them.
    - Some managers will make you do all the work and take the credit for it.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and treat your employees with respect or people will keep leaving

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Production Associate in Moonachie, NJ
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Moonachie, NJ

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I took this job as a means to an end for a temporary time period.

Cons

Really long hours. Abusive upper management. Like everyone else mentioned - unless you are family, you will not advance here. Every team is managed by a member of the family OR a close friend so there's never any room for advancement there. I got interviewed at 9pm at night and it was the most rude experience. That should've been my first indication but I needed a job. I would not recommend working here. Pay is lower than entry level but they will have you thinking they did you a favor by offering the lowest of the low. Look elsewhere. Met a lot of nice people though but everyone is so drained and underappreciated, it's an oppressive environment.

"Designer"

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn, able to become familiar with many aspects of the business

Cons

Upper management is comprised of all unqualified family members, need to pick up the slack of people who do not know how to do their own job on top of your responsibilities

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for the good people you have, instead of putting all of the problems and blame on the hard workers and letting the slackers slide on by

"No room for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Capelli NY full-time

Pros

- Good people to work with
    -Flexibility

Cons

-No room for growth
    -No annual reviews
    -Poor hourly rate

Advice to Management

-Older staff aren't always right

"Nepotism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY (More than a year)

Pros

If someone from the owners family likes you, you will succeed here.

Free breakfast and lunches every other week

Summer Friday's every other Friday where you can leave at 2.... If you are finished with your work.

Cons

Low salaries and Horrible benefits

Most people in management positions are family members or friends who are unqualified. They do promote from within, but all departments are micromanaged by a family member so there is only so much you can do

No room for creative ideas as all they want you to do is rip off other companies artwork and products. It's a shame because they do have talented people that have great ideas if they were allowed to use them.

Constantly overwork employees and offer little support

No real HR. The HR dept is the CEOs secretary.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are actually qualified!

Free lunch every other week is nice but a better benefit package would make your employees happier.

Show you care about your employees by investing in them!

"THE WORST"

Pros

Honestly? Nothing. Just something to add to my résumé.

Cons

The MOST stressful unhealthy environment. For the amount of work and anxiety this company gave me I should have been paid wayyy more than their measly hourly wage.

Advice to Management

If you don't change the way you run your business and treat your employees then you won't have a business or any employees left!

"avoid this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very small step into the fashion world I suppose, there is really nothing good I can say about this place. It was a start to finish awful professional experience.

Cons

Pour management, nepotism, little room for growth, pour work/life balance. This is one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a job. Capelli NY runs like a sweatshop and treats the employees like they are subhuman unless you are related to the family (which any in a position of authority is). Do not bother with the disaster.

Advice to Management

HAH... fire yourselves. Stop lying. Hire people NOT related too you.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basic health insurance. Christmas day off, but not Christmas Eve!

Cons

Long hours. Was there 4 years and never received a bonus. Horrible pay. The average designer with 4-5 years experience makes 40k there. Upper management is verbally abusive and rude. Endless and unnecessary procedures. If you're not family, you don't matter.

"TERRIBLE PEOPLW"

Pros

Nothing good about this place. Worked personally for the CEO family. Went above and beyond and they did not acknowledge anything. Did not respect me for having a college degree because they were "above that." Had to drive their dog and kids around but did not give me opportunity when I asked to show my skills in the office.

Cons

Everything. Dirty office. No one was friendly. So glad I'm gone. Been at my current company for 3 months and already have got a promotion!! These people recognize hard work and don't put you below anyone like Capelli did.

"Believe the reviews- Run away!"

I worked at Capelli NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working at Capelli are very slim... I had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people who unfortunately are stuck working in a terrible and negative environment.
    They do promote from within- they can't bring anyone from the outside because no one else knows the "Capelli way" - and that's only if they can get anyone to stay longer than a year.

Cons

Must clock in no earlier than 8:50AM and out by 6:05PM.
    Negative environment
    Dirty and Dusty- Bins of samples everywhere because no one has any time to organize them
    All the managers are either family or overworked/unpaid hard workers with no time to train assistants properly.

Advice to Management

Your managers are so overworked they have no time to train their assistants properly. Assistants are treated like slaves and a forced to do a job they were never trained to do.
    Negativity is poisoning everyone in your company.
    You will not succeed by belittling your employees and micromanaging them.
    The only people not micromanaged are the ones who should be- The relatives running departments into the ground because they don't know how to treat anyone with respect.