Capgemini Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin
Paul Hermelin

Cons

1. "Great culture and people"

Former Employee - SAP Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SAP Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Capgemini enforce a great collaborative working culture, where everyone benefits from helping each other. You feel supported in everything you do.

Cons

Work life balance is not great...but no different to other consultancies/ SI's

2. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment
    Supports employee learning and development
    Good visibility to senior management if you perform well

Cons

work hours could be long depending upon project need

3. "Good but lacking transparency"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

+ Plenty of opportunity to cross skill and take on new roles and challenges - keeps you interested in your job as it is always evolving
    + Making a major effort to be more "Agile" / Technology Driven (unusual for a large consultancy)
    + Respect for work life balance
    + Tries to be socially / environmentally responsible
    + Range of projects & clients
    + Good promotion tracks for juniors (but more on this in cons...)
    + Some very supportive managers

Cons

- Promotion process can depend on a manager letting you submit a case, rather than individual merit. Example: My manager gave me feedback telling me I was excelling on a role designed for someone double my grade with excellent client feedback. Twice I tried to submit a promotion case (sponsored by staff more senior than my manager) and both times was told I couldn't because it was the "wrong time" by my manager. I should say this is the same as any major business - some managers are good and some are bad. I have since moved (which this manager didn't want me to do as he did not want to lose me) and got the promotion I wanted within 6 months in my new team. This does highlight a big plus of Capgemini though in that they support rotation - so if you want to leave your area for whatever reason it is normally possible.

Advice to Management

Make the promotion process more transparent, and do not allow managers to stop people submitting promotion cases. Anyone should be able to submit a case and then it should be accepted or rejected based on the case's merit / the business environment.

5. "Best Company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Capgemini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional company. Provides wonderful work and personal life balance, people are very friendly and professional. The pay is also very competitive and best part of the company is their emphasis on personal life

Cons

need much cloud computing projects

Advice to Management

Management needs to get more serious on the project pipeline for cloud technology projects.

6. "Good place to start your career"

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Encouraged to contribute to the graduate community, infact you are assessed on this.

Wide range of roles available and alot of the projects are exciting. Its a huge company so you often find a strong Capgemini presence of projects, developers/architects/testers all together which helps alot when you join a company.

From my experience, management have been fantastic. They join in on team dinners and outings and are really keen to develop junior talent. I have been lucky to have great managers, I do know from colleagues that they have had the complete opposite experience.

Staying in hotels is nice and having expenses does mean you can save alot of money. For recent grads who may still live at home, this is great. If you are moving to London for the role, please be wary that you may be sent to another city for your project Monday-Thursday so keep that in mind when looking at rent options.

Promotion opportunities are good for grads. You should be getting a promotion every year for the first five years as long as you perform to a good level consistently. There is an option for an accelerated scheme but this is up to the discretion of your Line Manager.

Cons

Pay isn't the best when comparing against rivals. But you know this when applying anyway so it's a minor niggle.

The pay increases are pretty rubbish. 3-5% at a time and that just about covers inflation. You can earn up to 40k by the end of the two years, which is two grade promotions and a few pay rises inbetween (grade promo and payrise are not inclusive).

Some bureaucratic processes such as notifying relevant people in a time frame when carrying out graduate community events. This is to be expected in a large organisation though.

Not much of a say in what roles you get, this becomes your responsibility after a certain grade but when you first join you pretty much take what they give. You really need to network to get onto projects youre interested in, leaving it to the resource team means you will get the bottom of the barrel roles.

Recognition comes with brown nosing. Many hard workers are too busy working hard to request feedback or go out to socials and as a result are overlooked for awards.

Advice to Management

Unify the graduate programme structure across all SBU's. So many units take a different approach and where one person gets promoted for their community work, in another unit that doesnt even get a nod. There needs to be a consistent structure so you can measure performance equally.

7. "Capgemini for Business Analysts"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to choose your own career path. Training is good, and the management has an open door policy.

Cons

Stack ranking salary reviews. Being body-shopped out to clients who don't recognise your full skill set.

Advice to Management

Ditch the bell curve

8. "Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work, excellent opportunities, some members of Senior Management are good and supportive, has good opportunities to work

Cons

Meritocracy is not rewarded always - which is not unusual in large organisation, not very effective in getting new projects offlate

Advice to Management

None in particular

9. "Progression pay is lacking majorly"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sick pay
    Benefits
    Training and clearances certificates
    Job security even with HMRC taking lots of the services back in house

Cons

When moving up the ladder you won't get
    Paid more due to the ridiculous system Cap use for there pay scales.

Advice to Management

When you get a more advanced role you should get paid more straight away, not MAYBE you will get more

10. "Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities and different types of work. Great career development opportunities
    Strong values and ethics
    Strong Corporate Social Responsibility ethos, presence, engagement. Both local and global charities.
    Such a diverse workforce, great for building relationships, networking and learning from others
    Great mentoring
    Real focus on people

Cons

None for me personally, I enjoy working for Capgemini

11. "Variety, opportunity, and great people"

Current Employee - Architect in Woking, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Architect in Woking, England (UK)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work in multiple sectors, leading the way and helping to make a real difference to the client.
    The chance to be involved in various aspects of the job and different initiatives.
    Lots of other things to be involved with, to stretch your personal development.
    You stand or fall on your own merits - and there is training, support and resources to help.
    Great people who are happy to share; a truly collaborative environment.

Cons

The travel and being away from home can be troublesome to some, but we know the environment when we join the company.

Advice to Management

Stick to the 7 principles - they've held good since the company was founded.

Showing 287 of 7,255 reviews