Capita Reviews in Leeds, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Capita CEO Andy Parker
Andy Parker

"Working at Capita"

Current Employee - PPC Sales Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PPC Sales Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The location of my office from my home is 10 mins away. My colleagues that I work with make my job more enjoyable.

Cons

The lack of opportunities to move up the ladder is challenging. The micromanagement culture is very discouraging and does not allow any flexibility to be innovative and make your own decisions.

Advice to Management

For a leader to get the best of your team you should treat them fairly, equally and with respect.

2. "Short-lived position due to management attitude"

Former Employee - Trainee Case Handler in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Case Handler in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, supportive colleagues. On and off-site training given. Camaraderie between those on training encouraged unfortunately we were split up after training finished.

Cons

Unachievable targets given. Actual work methods didn't reflect the training given. Feedback from second line staff was inconsistent so unable to find a correct method to apply.

Advice to Management

Listen and support your staff. Humiliation should not be you sole management technique.

3. "Bad COmpany"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita (Less than a year)

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Treat staff like rubbish. Sad!

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff like Rubbish.

5. "Capita Leeds -Lloyds Westbank"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gentle pace of work, No pressure on targets however adequate compensation when targets are met which motivates

Cons

Follow the rules rigidly, common sense is not allowed

Advice to Management

Decent place to work, However operations managers are not supportive- Capita Hartshead-PPI project in Leeds

6. "Easy work but low pay."

Former Employee - Pension Technician in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pension Technician in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was a good work environment and all managers within the office seemed enjoyable to work under. The workload was never overly demanding. Flexible hours.

Cons

The was poor pay and company benefits with little in terms of career progression. Also whilst study support was available there was no corresponding salary increase.

Advice to Management

Better pay for most employees with emphasis on some form of performance based pay. Better communication from the top levels of the company would likely lead to increased harmonisation and as a result performance.

7. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita (Less than a year)

Pros

nice place to work
    good friendly people
    taking calls was fast paced but good experience
    management was friendly

Cons

sometimes calls were very fast paced but nature of work was good. Can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

no advice

8. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, from case handler through to senior manager, the team are very friendly and approachable, in my experience most people are happy to help and support you where needed. I have built up some long lasting relationships with the people I have met working here.

I have mostly had really good managers who have always been open, supportive and welcoming. I have moved job roles several times while working with Capita, and each time I have been provided with a good level of training and coaching to ensure that I know what I am doing and feel comfortable with new tasks and processes.

Due to the nature of the fast paced business there is a lot of opportunity to develop your own skills and abilities, as long as you are willing to take ownership and put the work in.

Capita are good at investing in colleague engagement and throw an annual Christmas event for all staff as well as various engagement events throughout the year which really help to create a positive working environment.

Capita is dedicated to providing excellent customer service to its clients as such there is an expectation that their colleagues are able to support a high change environment. This means that you can quite often be expected to adopt new policies and processes and changes to your role. As a positive, this provides variety to your day to day work and provides an opportunity to develop. For me this has resulted in finding my chosen career path, which would never have dawned me, had I not had to change to accommodate the business needs.

Cons

For those who do not respond well to change, they may find Capita's need to respond quickly to client requirements more of a challenge.

9. "Overall good experience as Samsung Temp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Pros

Very accessible in Leeds Centre if using public transport.
    As I was a temp my pay was very good and the staff were very friendly. Has a subsidised canteen as well but numerous shops in the vicinity if you fancy something else. In terms of the job, you learn a lot and it improved my customer service skills greatly.

Cons

Training was disorganised to start with and didn't really help that much. We only got to really understand what we were doing when we actually got to do it. One of the systems we trained on wasn't what we ended up using so it was a bit pointless.

Advice to Management

More relevant training and organisation needed to ensure that new employees don't feel like they're being thrown into the deep-end

10. "Awful."

Former Employee - Call Centre Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Call Centre Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice kitchen break area. Free tea and coffee. Central location.

Cons

The job I had was temporary Call Centre Customer Service Advisor for a large retail organisation. I really hated it and there were three main reasons for this. These are (1) the training was dreadful, (2) nobody really seemed to care how well I did my job and (3) Capita had a rather mean-minded attitude towards their employees.

1. Training.
    - We had three weeks training delivered by somebody who hadn’t actually done the job she was training us to do. A lot of the time she just let us all sit around chatting. There were tests we had to take to see how well we were doing and she made sure we all passed by giving us the answers. For the first few tests she marked the papers. Then she called over to her desk anybody who had not got the pass mark and she told them some answers to change so that then they did get the pass mark. For the final test she actually gave us some answers in advance! For example she gave us a handout about a particular subject and then marked certain sections of the handout something like “*18” and then explained that this meant that what it said in that marked section would give us the answer to number 18 in the test we were going to have.
    - After that training we were on the job and, if we weren’t sure about something, we would have to put a hand up and wait for a helper (more experienced member of staff) to come over to help. Quite often we were given contradictory advice about what to do by these helpers. Many times I found myself saying: “but I had an exact situation like this yesterday and somebody told me to do something completely different!” A lot of the helpers were really friendly and helpful but quite a few came to your desk with a sort of grumpy "yeah, what do you want?" attitude.

2. Customer Service.
    - Then on the job I don’t think we were delivering a very good customer service. For example I had a case which went as follows. A customer phoned to say she had not got her order we had sent to her. The parcel tracking showed that it had been delivered and signed for but the customer denied this. I asked a helper what to do and they showed me the instructions (on the internal website) which said that we needed to ask the parcel delivery service people to double check with the driver that the parcel had in fact been delivered. The instructions also said that this could take up to three days and to tell the customer that it would take this long. Three days later I finally got the response from the parcel delivery people and they confirmed that the driver said yes they did deliver. So I asked a helper what to do now and I got told (by a different helper from the one I asked first) that the contents of the parcel weren’t of any great value and that so we can treat it as lost and send replacement goods out to the customer. And I thought: well that didn’t require us to double check the delivery! Why didn’t we just tell the customer that three days ago! So anyway I phoned the customer to tell her the outcome. She said (as I had done) “well why didn’t you just tell me that three days ago!”.
    - Other cases I had were of the sort where a customer would place an order and one item of their order would go out of stock after the order was placed. The customer would then get only part of their order. And would then phone us to ask: well why didn’t we tell them this sooner. And I had to explain the shortcomings of the ordering system.

3. Meanness towards staff.
    - If staff take a call just before the end of their shift. And then this call ends up going over the end of the shift then we are not paid for this overtime. But surely we should get paid for it! I thought to myself. This might sound like a rather petty point because mostly it's just a few minutes but often it was as much as 15 or 20 minutes. If Capita had taken the trouble to pay staff for all time worked this would be a simple way to contribute towards creating a pleasant relationship between employer and employee. But I didn’t get the impression that Capita were very much bothered about that.

Anyway this kind of guff I put up with for about three months. Do I regret doing this job? No, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. I learnt a lot about the nature and meaning of work in the (modern) world. I learnt that all relations are about money and nothing else. Relations between employers and employees, between businesses and customers.

11. "VWG - Experience Customer Relations Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Relations Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people! I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did without them.

Cons

Management style.
    Salary (too low for what we did).
    Everyone is treated like just a number.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible, don't treat everyone as just a number, increase salary (not a standard call centre, shouldn't be paid like one)