Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan Jacob

Pros
  • Amazing business model, and growing (in 4 reviews)

• highly intelligent colleagues -- everyone there knows how to win -- culture of success and winning by any means necessary (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crazy long hours, abusive management, really tough market which led to minimal sales, tons of turnover (in 8 reviews)

• Extremely competitive environment (in 4 reviews)

"Capital Asset Trader"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Austin, TX

I have been working at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I relocated to Austin, TX this past year to join CAE as a Trader. I'm definitely happy with my time here so far. As for the pros, I would say:
    1. solid group of peers. Theyve hired a lot of new traders this year so there is a great group of guys who are in the same boat as me. Each of us seem to be having a pretty good level of success so far.
    2. the pay structure is really as good as advertised. i was skeptical but i have been on the receiving end of some nice bonuses already, and there are some other newer traders who have done significantly better than i have and made more money.
    3. they've rolled out some new software tools to help identify potential opportunities which really help you get off your feet before youve developed some accounts.

Cons

1. there is a steep learning curve and not much sympathy when you don't have deals even if your new. i will say they are still nicer about it than the managers at my last firm. i think it is this way at any firm when youre in a position expected to bring in revenue
    2. hard to get much time off as a newer trader. this was told to me from the start so not an issue but some people could see it as a con.

Advice to Management

keep bringing in good people

"An honest account (positive and negative)"

Current Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

I have been working at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have read the positive and negative reviews. Some of the positive reviews overstate the strengths, some of the negative reviews seem, well, made-up. CAE has never, for example, hired 30 people per month, and it’s nothing like the 4 year old lawsuits allege (if it were, the plaintiffs would have gone to trial).
    I experience CAE in this way:
    • Great training program. Ann does a great job with launch training, David is really helpful when you get into the market
    • Lots of market work: every day, we present our VP, sometimes our CEO, with a market assessment that looks for an undervalued asset or a buyer-driven situation. It’s hard to figure out, and we need more tools, but it’s interesting
    • Tons of deal strategy and negotiation: we are constantly working through deal – what people in the market are doing, what our buyers/sellers are doing, and how we get deals done. There is a lot of internal and external competition and team work
    • Compensation is very high: bonuses are paid monthly (50% when deals fund, 50% when the asset arrives at a client sight), and, in my opinion, I am doing well

Cons

The pressure is high here. Monday meetings are intense. The trading floor can be intense and should probably be a little more professional at times. There is some swearing. However, it’s not personal and I’ve never seen anyone dressed down on the floor. I have never been.
    One thing I have noticed is that people turn super negative and aggressive when fired. A lot of these guys just didn’t have it. I think, when I talk to the one’s I know, most of the negativity is about moving to a job afterwards that probably doesn’t pay as much, or where they don’t have the same opportunity. A large portion of this negative stuff is made up. I have never had a trader that is doing well leave or be removed – it tells you a little bit about the former traders on this site.

Advice to Management

Please continue to do what you are doing. It has been a unique experience to watch CAE grow and mature into a world class organization.

"Former Trader"

Former Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Austin, TX

Pros

1. salary and bonus structure exceptionally high -- unlikely to find one this generous in any comparable industry
    2. highly intelligent colleagues -- everyone there knows how to win -- culture of success and winning by any means necessary
    3. competitions with prizes that would be viewed as obscene at any other company -- first class travel, ferrari/lambo rental, cash on top of monthly bonuses

Cons

1. not much sympathy for people who can't make it -- they train people well, but if you dont do well in a competitive environment you probably wont feel comfortable there
    2. skills not directly transferable to normal commodities trading, however if you are one of the people who understand this market, then you realize that this is more or less the point of why they like this industry -- it is highly illiquid and inefficient compared to any of the commodities markets that you have heard of, and this is precisely why they are able to capture such ridiculous margins on each of their deals.

Advice to Management

1. make sure candidates understand the culture that they are getting in to. Not for the faint of heart. You will be challenged here -- dont join if you are the type to look towards external factors if you do not succeed. there is a process that breeds success here, the faster you can adapt and learn it, the better.

"Senior Trader"

Current Employee - Senior Capital Asset Trader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Capital Asset Trader in Austin, TX

Pros

1. Pay
    2. Colleagues
    3. Fulfillment
    4. Acquired skills
    5. Deal Management
    6. Comraderie
    7. Data Team (24 hour coverage)

Cons

1. Stress
    2. Meritocracy (some would view this as a con; the system is designed to be a level playing field)
    3. Data Team ( this is a pro as well as a con -- they could be more accurate).
    4. Settlement handoffs could be improved
    5. Rule book (there are some gray areas that could be improved)

Advice to Management

1. More company happy hours would be appreciated
    2. More interoffice travel would also be nice -- it would be good to get to know the CA employees better

"Trader"

Current Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

Pros

- High uncapped bonus payouts
    - Smart and energetic co-workers
    - Work with businesses and clients around the world
    - Great business model
    - Excellent chance for advancement
    - Life changing experience

Cons

I do not have much to add here. I was hired 14 months ago with three other Traders. . Three are still here and I don't see us leaving anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Please continue to improve this world class organization. Continue to coach and mentor new Traders . Keep the monthly competition going.

"I am addicted to trading"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love what we're doing at CAE. We trade capital assets in the semiconductor market and related industries. The market is massively inefficient and we have a huge informational advantage. I spend most of my time thinking through deal strategy, figuring out valuation, and going through tough negotiation. I like acting as a principal. I am totally free to set pricing, negotiate deals, and work one what I think makes sense. I cannot imagine myself in another role. The money is ridiculous.

Cons

I think this business is tough. The emotional ups and downs involved in trading are hard. I felt lost for a long time because you have to learn by doing - a lot of people do not make it through that period. Management is tough. They are demanding and expect us to get extreme results. I like that, but it's hard to handle. I hear we used to change direction and such a lot, I don't see that. Sometimes, finding a deal can become very monotonous. I don't always love 10 hours per day.

Advice to Management

You need a new process for helping traders manage the inevitable dips in performance. I've had ups and downs and I don't think manage helped me when I was down. Maybe that was the point, but I would like it to be different.

"I made $350,000 my first year"

Current Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

Pros

I almost act as a principal in my deals with little oversight
    Intense negotiation with counter parties
    Deal strategy is exciting, interesting
    We are taking market share and winning in the market

Cons

Tons of work
    Management can be very intense, focused on deals and closings
    High internal competition

Advice to Management

We need to continue to be aggressive, but it would be nice to have more positive reinforcement

"Stay far away"

I worked at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time

Pros

Pay was the only good aspect, but you have to make lots of sales to even get paid and it was a tough market

Cons

Crazy long hours, abusive management, really tough market which led to minimal sales, tons of turnover. Lied to us about the hours requried when I was interviewing

Advice to Management

Need new management and need to relax a bit. I understand that you are trying to make money, but berading people and forcing people to work 70+ hours will lead to continued turnover.

"What you have read about in the numerous lawsuits filed by former employees is all true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

-free red bull
    -obscenely expensive prizes traditionally awarded to the same uneducated veterans of the business
    -free parking

Cons

-no expectation of balance between work & life. Traders were expected to work minimum 14 hour days AND weekends to not be successful but survive.
    -Recruited ~30 traders/sales people per month and would retain 1-2 the following month. ~95% turn-over rate
    -sexual harassment

"Lots of turnaround / changes"

I worked at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time

Pros

Friendly Coworkers, Friendly Competition Between Sales Force, Opportunity to make lots of $$$

Cons

Management is always making changes every week some new policy. i.e. changing work hours, changes to company structure and who is in charge of who, even moved the entire company to texas while letting employees know weeks in advance

Advice to Management

Feels like management is trying to pump and dump the company - management goals should be on keeping core sales team which accounts for majority of revenues content instead of trying to expand too rapidly and acquire too many side businesses / projects.